No MMX in Inkscape 0.43 for AMD64?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: No MMX in Inkscape 0.43 for AMD64? Reply with quote

I was recompiling Inkscape 0.43 when I caught the output of the configuration script going through the console. To my surprise it showed MMX was disabled. Shouldn't MMX be enabled by default on AMD64? Is there something wrong in Inkscape's ebuild? Or is this suppossed to happen? I've gone through Bugzilla and the forums and found nothing about this :?:
Akhouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about inkscape in particular but usually the MMX extensions means using assembly instructions to make certain routines quicker. These assemlbey instructions are written for 32bit system so using them on a 64bit system won't work.

All AMD64 systems have MMX...but they can't run the 32bit assembley instructions within a 64 bit binary.
Pse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure about what you say. I thought MMX was enabled by default on AMD64 (as well as SSE, SSE2, MMXEXT, 3Dnow, 3DnowPRO). Check GCC's man pages, march=athlon64. I think it's certainly possible to use MMX on AMD64.
Akhouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pse wrote:
I'm not really sure about what you say. I thought MMX was enabled by default on AMD64 (as well as SSE, SSE2, MMXEXT, 3Dnow, 3DnowPRO). Check GCC's man pages, march=athlon64. I think it's certainly possible to use MMX on AMD64.

There are two separte issues. All AMD64 processors are all mmx compatible so yes, if you are talking about gcc optimisations then they will always be set for amd64.

The USE flags are not dealing though with mmx gcc optimisations. They are dealing with parts of the code written in assembly language particularly for mmx optimisations.The assembly contains raw 32bit mmx instructions that won't work on a 64 bit instruction set. If the MMX USE flag was only switching on gcc extensions this would have been done from the CFLAGS.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: