Terminating process the hard way
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Terminating process the hard way Reply with quote

I had some trouble with a samba share and it got unmounted. Two programs (amarok and cp) were still accessing it so they crashed (freezed). I remounted the share, but they still don't respond. Now I tried to kill the processes, but they don't want to be terminated. In 'ps aux' they have a 'D' in the status column and I know this is some kind of uninterruptable thing because the process is doing something important, but the kill man page says 'KILL 9 exit this signal may not be blocked'. I tried 'kill -9 <pid>' as root, 'killall -9 amarokapp' and played with 'killproc' but the processes (both amarok and cp) just keep running. Is there any harder way to kill these, because I would find it rather strange to reboot just to terminate these processes.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man ps shows:
Quote:
D Uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)

So, as with zombie processes, you can't kill what's already dead :)

Ignore the processes, they are doing nothing and not taking up resources.
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
man ps shows:
Quote:
D Uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)

So, as with zombie processes, you can't kill what's already dead :)

Ignore the processes, they are doing nothing and not taking up resources.

That's certainly true, but I can't launch another amarok process now because it thinks there's already one running. So it tried to activate that one and exits. So I want to kill the existing amarokapp so I can launch a new one.
widan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Terminating process the hard way Reply with quote

t0maz wrote:
In 'ps aux' they have a 'D' in the status column and I know this is some kind of uninterruptable thing because the process is doing something important, but the kill man page says 'KILL 9 exit this signal may not be blocked'.

If they are in D-state, it means they are executing code in the kernel (most likely waiting for something to happen related to the "old" smb mount, which will most likely never happen, so they will stay stuck there). Signals are only delivered on return from kernel mode to user mode, so you won't be able to kill them with signals. Only way to kill them will be a reboot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: