Problems at boot: "mount: / is busy"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Problems at boot: "mount: / is busy" Reply with quote

Several (but not all) of my Gentoo systems have a problem at boot time:
Code:
* Remounting root filesystem read-only ...
mount: / is busy
* Checking root filesystem ...
/dev/hda7 is mounted.

WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
SEVERE filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue (y/n)?

Obviously the answer is "n", and then the fsck is skipped, and the boot continues happily onward. Here's the relevant extract out of /etc/fstab"
Code:
/dev/hda6               /boot           ext3            noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/hda7               /               ext3            noatime         0 1
/dev/hda8               none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/hda9               /home           xfs             noatime         0 0

I can and have been living with this. I can also get rid of the messages by setting that "1" to "0" and skipping the fsck, but that makes me nervous. I leave it this way because one of these days it'll prod me to take action, like this. I guess I need a small chunk of clue, here.
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that your complete fstab file?

You are missing the proc and shm entries. Maybe thats related to your problem somehow?!?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anello wrote:
Is that your complete fstab file?

You are missing the proc and shm entries. Maybe thats related to your problem somehow?!?

No, that's not the complete fstab, just the hda entries. I have the other stuff in there. Besides, just hit "n" and the systems continue to boot, and then work just fine.
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that something in your boot order has to be wrong. Maybe you should try to boot with knoppix or some other livecd and trigger that scan manually, since its obvious that your system is demanding for it but just can't/wants to avoid to execute it because the partition is already mounted. So I would do that and check the runlevels, maybe there is something into boot that doesn't belong there.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anello wrote:
I guess that something in your boot order has to be wrong. Maybe you should try to boot with knoppix or some other livecd and trigger that scan manually, since its obvious that your system is demanding for it but just can't/wants to avoid to execute it because the partition is already mounted. So I would do that and check the runlevels, maybe there is something into boot that doesn't belong there.

I haven't really played with the boot order, this is the stable baselayout. On at least some of the systems, I believe the fsck is being called for because of mount count, though that can't be true on the laptop, because it's barely installed. I may well have crashed it though, which would call for fsck. I've got a rescue disk, so I should boot that and run the fsck.

As far as boot sequence goes, this is pretty much vanilla Gentoo, frequently updated, even to having a kernel built with "genkernel --xconfig all". Since I'm having this problem on multiple systems, I would have expected to see others having it, too. Looking on google, either everwhere or site:forums.gentoo.org, I don't, though the search terms are a bit rough. I do seem to remember a while back on the Gentoo forums seeing the recommendation to just put a "0" in there, and skip the fsck. That hides the problem, but doesn't fix it.
soulwarrior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. By chance I disabled the bootlog feature (RC_BOOTLOG="no") in /etc/conf.d/rc and the error message while booting did not appear anymore.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: