General Midi in dosemu
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: General Midi in dosemu Reply with quote

Hi,

Suddenly, probably since I performed my last system-upgrade, general midi in dosemu doesn't work anymore. I used to be able to play simcity 2000 with music, but now, the music is gone.

On of the things that got updated in my system upgrade, was udev, which probably moved some of the midi devices around. There is a symlink in the ~/.dosemu/run dir called dosemu-midi, which pointed to /dev/sound/amidi. I no longer have that device. But pointing it to any other of my midi/sequencer dev-files doesn't solve the problem. Pointing to /dev/midi does, however, seem to introduce a slight slowdown in dosemu, noticable in that the PCM sound starts lagging/stuttering a bit.

The sound-usage.txt in the dosemu docs states I have to use some kind of elaborate setup with timidity, but because I have had it working before, I really think I shouldn't. After all, I can play midi with "playmidi" or with games in dosbox just fine, using the soundfont I loaded into my sblive with sfbank. Besides, on my previous computer, XP1600+, timidity used about 30% CPU...

Does anybody now how to fix this?

Last edited by halfgaar on Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<bump>

Anybody...?
(l)user
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try virutal midi with timidity. Im using it and it works fine, i remember long time ago i had it on gentoo(right now im on debian) and sound was laggin like hell, but now it works smooth. Here you have a nice article which describes how to set it up. Midi emulation is the lastest thing that i really would like to see in dosemu. Too bad the project is dead.
Registered Linux user #302020
Gadu Gadu #490092
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe try virutal midi with timidity.

I already dismissed that option in my first post. The link you posted is the elaborate setup I mentioned.

Quote:
Too bad the project is dead.

Dosemu dead? Since when?

BTW, if you're only interested in DOS for games (I don't know if you are, but there aren't many other reasons for midi in dosapps), try dosbox.
(l)user
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgaar wrote:

Dosemu dead? Since when?

I might be mistaken, after reading the changelog it seems its still under active development. But after visiting dosemu's oficial page in lastest few years from time to time that was my impresion.
halfgaar wrote:

BTW, if you're only interested in DOS for games (I don't know if you are, but there aren't many other reasons for midi in dosapps), try dosbox.

Dosbox is way too slow for some games i want to play ;).
Registered Linux user #302020
Gadu Gadu #490092
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dosbox is way too slow for some games i want to play ;).

True :). I'm hooked on Settlers 2 lately, and when I posted this thread, I still had my old XP1600+. Now I have a X2 3800+, which is able to run settlers2 in dosbox. The only disadvantage is that the scrolling is a bit laggy. You know, 486-style :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: