NTFS and gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goamage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: NTFS and gentoo install Reply with quote

i have a question regarding partitioningand installing. i have ntfs partition (hda1) its is marked as a boot one ( i cant have 2 boot partitions on same drive can i????), then i want to install gentoo. following the guide: hda2=boot, hda3=root, and some other like hdc5=swap. does anyone have a tip or something on how properly to set up my partitions. coz the problem i had was: when i tried to install grub. it said something about /boot/. its unable to do something, or i had to mount something. sorry folks, i dont have exact messsage. i will try to install it again.
but maybe someone could advise me on the install process? some one who has done the same thing?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goamage,

Gentoo does not require you to have a /boot partition, nor does it need the bootable partition to be marked as bootable.
Your BIOS may. You can flag as many partitions as needed as bootable.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your partition only needs to be flagged "bootable" if you use the microsoft-style bootloaders as they will search for a "bootable" partition and run the code that's in there.

if you followed the guide, you will need to have your /boot mounted while installing grub (else grub can't find some things...)
if install-grub doesn't work, use
Code:

grub
 > root (hd0,1)
 > setup (hd0)
 > quit

(EDIT: if you get some random error message about something in /boot not being found, this might be your culprit: notice the root (hd0,1)? it means the second partition on the first disk -- this one needs to be your /boot partition, so if /boot was /dev/hdb4, you'd usually want (hd1,3) for example)

it is true that you don't need a boot partition, but it is cleaner to have one for users that are new to linux (that way they at least can't accidentally erase the bootloader and render the machine unusable by issueing a bad rm-command since /boot isn't mounted by default)

if your computer/bios is old or your harddisk isn't configured with LBA in the BIOS, you can't have your /boot partition and the files there above the 1024-cylinder boundary. if your /dev/hda1 partition is big (like... 10 gig or more, sometimes it's only 2, sometimes 8... it varies because cylinder sizes vary), then putting your /boot partition after it will not work because the bootloader-code then can't access the later bootloader stages; if that is the case, put the /boot-partition (physically) in front of the /dev/hda1-partition.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: