Win 2k install problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psih128
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Win 2k install problem Reply with quote

Hello Comunity!

I have a problem with win 2k installation. Obviously this is not the right forum but nevertheless........

I've installed Gentoo linux and GRUB boot loader into MBR. After a while i decided to reinstall Windows 2000.

I've booted with a floppy diskette and started installation from DOS. After the files were coppied ( on the first stage ) and the PC rebooted - installation process stucks on the second stage while detecting hardware etc. The blue install screen suddenly becomes dark and PC doesnt respond to any keyborad keys, so i have to reset the PC.

I tried to run the windows Recovery Console ( in order to recover the NT boot loader) but i stucks to (with same dark screen and no respond to keypresses)

Old windows still runs ok just as Gentoo Linux.

The possible reason could be GRUB in MBR... i dont know really...... Any suggestions?

PS: Sorry my bad English :P
rsa4046
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to install win2K only (and thus remove all of gentoo), or preserve the gentoo partition(s) and install win2k on an empty partition?

EDIT: If the former, can't you boot from CD?
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking about cleanly installing Win 2K on its own or do you want help with installing it alongside your current Gentoo install?
psih128
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... Actually it doesnt matter where am i going to install it because the setup stucks before it lets me to choose where to install..

But i plan to format my current win 2k partition and make a fresh install (It will reinstall NT Boot Loader) .Then i want to install GRUB in Linux boot partition and configure NT Loader to boot from that partotion. So current Gentoo Linux installation probably will remain.
rsa4046
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some vestige of windows in the partition you're trying to use (bad bootloader?) is causing the install program to fail. Assuming the win2K partition is the first partition on the disk but somehow damaged, why not boot to gentoo, run fdisk and remove this ntfs partition (and make it active if it isn't already), and reboot to CD. At this point, windows should see the first partition as empty and available (usually windows seems to insist on being first) and proceed OK with the install.

Quote:
Old windows still runs ok just as Gentoo Linux.
Do you mean that the existing windows still boots fine (presumably from grub)?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: