copying windows...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apfritts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: copying windows... Reply with quote

I am thinking about copying all the data from my WinXP partition to a ReiserFS partition so that i don't have to wait around for captive-ntfs....do you think that will work?? Obviously I will not be able to boot windows normally from there, but whenever stuff changes on the actual windows partition, i could make a script that copies that data over and another one that copies changed data back...this would be kinda inefficient though....

Any ideas?
d4rkwingduck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faced with the same problem a while ago, i came to the conclusion that the best option was to build a cheap raid fileserver and copy the data there. That way it will be accessible from both OS.

Cheers
K
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean "wait around for captive-ntfs...." ?

I never see any great delays.

If you want a commonly accessible file share between the two for data I use vfat.

It's not the best fs around but it provides easy support from both ends.

Rather depends what your needs are . I have very little use for win* so it's mainly a case of having read acces to whatever I used to have on that system rather than needing to write to it. For the times when I do need to save a file to be read later under win, I use the vfat partition.

8)
apfritts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: speed delays Reply with quote

Quote:
what do you mean "wait around for captive-ntfs...." ?

I never see any great delays.

It averages 500KB/sec....ReiserFS averages 10 to 15MB/sec and I have no idea what my Reiser4 partitions average...

But 500KB/sec is uber slow :( that is a true story!
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well it depends on what you need to do. I would not try to work directly on an ntfs partition from linux. It's not native.

captive runs non-native MS drivers on a userland fuse-fs (have not tested the new kernel fuse) of course you're not going to get the same datarate as you do off a native , in-kernel driver linux fs.

captive is fine if you need to access and modify certain files on your ntfs partition.

Is there some specific tasks you are not able to do because of the speed or are you just trying to optimise the speed?

8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: