amaroK is broken beyond belief [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: amaroK is broken beyond belief [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I just emerged amarok today. I haven't had it installed on my system previously. There's no leftover config files, nothing. When I first load it up, it goes through the wizard just fine. But when it finally starts, it will never actually build my collection. I try various times to force it to do so. But it never does. Then it crashes. After that, I try starting it again, but it just crashes on startup. No messages on the console, nothing. I downgrade to 1.3.6. Same thing. I clean out the relevant entries in .kde/share/apps and .kde/share/config. I go through the wizard again; same crap. So I try upgrading to the 1.4 beta version. I got pretty much the same results, but it definitely won't play anything either, even if I don't load the collection. And then after restarting it two or so times, now it just crashes on startup.

Can somebody tell me how to fix this, or, more importantly, why it is so horribly broken out of the box? I can't even get it to play a file, much less actually do something more useful. Now it just crashes every time. I could clean out .kde/share/apps and friends, but it just ends up doing the same thing again after a while. How can I make amaroK work?

Last edited by widremann on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
benzoate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: I upgraded Reply with quote

I was having the same problem with amarok. I upgraded to amarok 1.3.8, it is masked, but I have found it to be more stable then 1.3.6.
mointrigue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.3.8 is definately the way to go on any distro. Also, make sure to compile it with the xine USE flag so that you can use the amarok xine engine. I've been using amarok for quite a while now, and I found the other engines highly unstable leading to crashes (especially arts). Xine is by far the most stable and if you do have any initial configuration difficulties it provides the most helpful error messages.
Valheru
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amarok isn't actually broken. This problem is caused when you installed the taglib ebuild with a different version of GCC than amarok. Re-emerge taglib and the problems will go away.

See this thread for details :

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-379264-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-amarok+taglib-start-25.html
Tlaloc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amarok 1.4beta1/2 shouldn't crash anymore when there are problems with the collection scanner, they made some changes to avoid those nasty startup-crashs in pre 1.4 versions. Anyway, if that happens there should be log in .kde/share/apps/amarok that tells at which file it crashed. If the problem isn't related to taglib then most probably to the sound engine you are using is causing it or it les even deeper in the (sound?)system. 1.4beta1/2 run very solid for me.
Ah, where do you have your collection stored? Locally, NFS, samba etc..?

Bye, Val.
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to give them a try this morning and hopefully it'll fix my issues.

EDIT: In fact, recompiling Taglib completely fixed all my issues. Thank you very much for mentioning that because I never would have discovered that on my own.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: