OpenGl games play TOO fast!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: OpenGl games play TOO fast!! Reply with quote

Every game that I have runs too fast...not "too many FPS". It seems like everything is in fast forward. I originally had the stable version of the ati-drivers, but I just upgraded to 8.22.5.

I have a Gateway 7510gx laptop with an ATI Radeon X600 PCIX. I'm not too sure what the problem is here...I've installed Gentoo on PC's with ATI cards before and I've never had this problem. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
widan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using frequency scaling (since you say it's a laptop) ? If so, try to disable it (set it to performance governor, ie max frequency) and see if the problem disappears. Some games seem to look at the CPU frequency when they start, and calibrate their timing with that frequency. When they actually start using CPU power, CPU frequency goes up, and the timing gets messed up.
thompsond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the processor at full throttle...I also checked the PowerPlay settings for the graphics card...all are set to max.
niskel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are playing Unreal or Unreal Tournament and you have a recent 3D card the game has problems when running at FPSs higher than ~150. To fix this you can enable vsync for OpenGL. To do this with an nVidia card, you need the nvidia-settings package and then there is an option somewhere in that app. I wouldn't know how to do it with an ATi card. But yes, whenever I run Unreal/Unreal Tournament, I need to turn off CPU throtteling and turn on vsync to keep my framerate at 85fps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: