View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crunchtime
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Getting decent looking fonts with gentoo rc3 xfree 4.2.1 Reply with quote

Okay I've done a load of searches, and I am completely stuck...

Its my first attempt at gentoo, and things are going pretty well, but....

All my fonts look horrible, I've tried different things, but can anyone tell me what they usually do when setting up a new gentoo install to make fonts look good, please baby-step me through it though, as there seems to be a million different solutions, all I need is one that works.

Thankyou very very much in advance, I know you must get really sick of font questions, but there seems to be no definitive gentoo specific guide on the problem.

Ps; Sorry if this is a dupe.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit the ebuild for freetype to NOT use the bytecode hinter.

Code:

# Copyright 1999-2003 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-libs/freetype/freetype-2.1.3-r2.ebuild,v 1.9 2003/03/25 05:13:39 drobbins Exp $

IUSE="doc"

inherit eutils flag-o-matic

FT_SMOOTH_VER="20021210"

SPV="`echo ${PV} | cut -d. -f1,2`"
S="${WORKDIR}/${P}"
DESCRIPTION="A high-quality and portable font engine"
SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/freetype/${P}.tar.bz2
    doc? ( mirror://sourceforge/${PN}/ftdocs-${PV}.tar.bz2 )
http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dchest/xfthack/ft-smooth-${FT_SMOOTH_VER}.tar.gz "
HOMEPAGE="http://www.freetype.org/"

SLOT="2"
LICENSE="FTL | GPL-2"
KEYWORDS="x86 ppc sparc alpha hppa arm"

DEPEND="virtual/glibc"

src_unpack() {
    unpack ${A}

cd ${S}
    # Optional patches that affect rendering quality. Home page:
    # http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dchest/xfthack/
    # note that these tweak the auto-hinter, but we enable the real byte-code hinter.
    # But we keep this here for those who may want to use this instead.
    epatch ${WORKDIR}/ft-smooth-${FT_SMOOTH_VER}/ft-all-together.diff

# Slight hint patch from Red Hat, updated by Azarah for freetype 2.1.3
    epatch ${FILESDIR}/${SPV}/${P}-slighthint.patch
}

src_compile() {
    # Enable Bytecode Interpreter.

make CFG="--host=${CHOST} --prefix=/usr" || die
    emake || die
                                                                                                                            }

src_install() {
    make prefix=${D}/usr install || die

dodoc ChangeLog README
    dodoc docs/{BUGS,BUILD,CHANGES,*.txt,PATENTS,readme.vms,TODO}

use doc && dohtml -r docs/*
}

Try this as a replacement for /usr/portage/media-libs/freetype/freetype-2.1.3-r2.
2.ebuild.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doh forgot - if you haven't done so already add truetype to your useflags and emerge xfree again. That should give you some nicer fonts.
crunchtime
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.

I unmerged it, replaced the config file, and emerged it again and that definitely seems to have helped.

However because of the myriad of things I have tried to fix the problem, fonts still seem a little screwed up. Any suggestions

Can anyone running and nvidia (ti4200 or similar) dual display, with nice looking fonts post their XF86Config file, for me to look at.

FYI: I have my screen dpi set to 100x100, I don't have xfm installed, and I made XFree with true type in make.conf to start with.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: