View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
godzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: KDE menues & panel problems after update Reply with quote

Does anyone know why my KDE menu (and panel buttons too) reverts back to some strange configuration after each KDE update? I know that this is easily fixed by running "kbuildsycoca" (menu only, but not the panel), but why do they change in the first place?
Also, why do they always change for one user, and never change for another?

And the final question is why does kbuildsycoca says things like this:
Code:

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/kmplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/m3u'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/kmplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-m3u'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/kmplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/mediaplayer'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/kmplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'qeditor_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'qeditor_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'qeditor_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'qeditor_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-sql'

Someone mentioned that "emerge mimelib" should fix this, but it did not.
Any ideas ?

Thanks....
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warnings are not errors, they are..... well.... warnings... to the developers and coders.

about the colour change, i suggest asking on IRC because it seems like a misconfiguration not a bug related. go on freenode (gentoo-amd64 or some other) and find cryos. Or you could get a decent DE like GNOME
godzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
warnings are not errors, they are..... well.... warnings... to the developers and coders.

about the colour change, i suggest asking on IRC because it seems like a misconfiguration not a bug related. go on freenode (gentoo-amd64 or some other) and find cryos. Or you could get a decent DE like GNOME

Sorry I did not make myself clear: by "strange settings" I actually meant that menu gets different layout (different items with different grouping - in other words, completely different menu), and my custom shortcut buttons disappear from the panel.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

godzilla wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Sorry I did not make myself clear: by "strange settings" I actually meant that menu gets different layout (different items with different grouping - in other words, completely different menu), and my custom shortcut buttons disappear from the panel.
ahhhhhh well that's different. The menu seems to be resetting itself to an earlier stage.

This seems like a bug. File a bug with https://bugs.gentoo.org/ and they should fix it.
bigbob73
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

godzilla wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

I seem to have this problem when I use gnome or xfce for a while and then switch back to kde. After I am in kde for a while, the menu's switch back to the original settings. Very strange! :?
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this definately seems to be a bug. Please file one at bugs.gentoo.org
azuriel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting this behavior as well. I guess with the most recent upgrade to kde (3.5.3 I think it is), my menu restructured itself (Control Center now is a menu of the categories instead of just being a menu, custom settings are gone, various icons are missing). It went back to normal after something I did, but when I turned my computer on again today it was again in the new, broken format :-/

This annoys me greatly, because there is now no terminal application in my menu. and my hotkeys to launch programs no longer work.

The folly of mistaking a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Valery
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant you restructure it back?
azuriel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I could manually add them all back in...but for instance, right now, they are all there (cause it's been a couple hours since my first post). Reboot, and I'll bet that they're gone again. It's quite mysterious.

The folly of mistaking a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Valery
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try contacting cryos on IRC (he is in the UK so he wont be there now) and say i sent you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: