View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minimal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Help With emerge gnome xscreensaver plz Reply with quote

hi, I'm having some troubles getting gentoo to get online (but that's another story), so obviously I've had some trouble trying to use emerge. Thus, so far everything I've done I've had to download from my windows partition, burn it, and use it that way. My question is, if I've already done
Code:
emerge --usepkg gnome
do I still have to
Code:
emerge gnome xscreensaver
, and if so, could someone point me in the direction where I would be able to download something so that I can emerge xscreensaver off a disk instead of having to sign online for it? Is it possible its located in the packages cd?
widu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help With emerge gnome xscreensaver plz Reply with quote

minimal wrote:
hi, I'm having some troubles getting gentoo to get online (but that's another story), so obviously I've had some trouble trying to use emerge. Thus, so far everything I've done I've had to download from my windows partition, burn it, and use it that way. My question is, if I've already done
Code:
emerge --usepkg gnome
do I still have to
Code:
emerge gnome xscreensaver
, and if so, could someone point me in the direction where I would be able to download something so that I can emerge xscreensaver off a disk instead of having to sign online for it? Is it possible its located in the packages cd?

as you allready emerged gnome (by using the package) you don't need to emerge gnome again (which would download the source and compile it). And xscreensaver should be included in the package CD, just try
Code:
emerge --usepkgonly xscreensaver

minimal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, that got me into gnome, but on the instructions for setting it up I was told to
Code:
/etc/init.d/hald start         
rc-update add hald default

/etc/init.d/mDNSResponder start
rc-update add mDNSResponder default

it says not found or whatever for all of those. THe famd worked fine, but I had already set that up when I set up xwindows
Is this a problem or should I just ignore it?
CloudBolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm hald means the Hardware Abstraction Layer daemon, and you can emerge it by typing
Code:
emerge -av hal

as for mDNSResponder, I hope someone else can answer your question, because I wouldn't know the package it comes with
DOS is a boot partition virus.
widu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For having mDNSResponder you have to emerge howl.
Have you got howl and hal in your use variable (look at the output of emerge info)?
I think both hal and howl should be dependencies of gnome if these useflags are enabled. If these two are not enabled, then you should probably set them in /etc/make.conf and reemerge affected packages with
Code:
emerge --newuse gnome
to make full use of hal and howl services. to first check what you would have to reemerge add the -p option to the above emerge command.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: