Partitioning Advice
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnk73
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Partitioning Advice Reply with quote

Hi I'm looking for some partitioning advice about the size and filesystem type I should use for a new gentoo install, I have 14Gb's to use. I've read a lot about different partition sizes for /var, /home, and /, when running a server but I can't find anything relating to desktop machines.

I'm going to be using the system for games (UT2003) email, web-browsing and dvd-ripping/viewing. So would I gain any advantage from not using a single large partition?
The only partitions I've decieded on are:

Boot ext2 100mb
swap 1000Mb (on a second disk)

Cheers,
John
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. 1000Mb swap is extravagent, but it won't do you any harm. The swap = 2 to 3 times RAM rule doesn't really apply when you get to RAM over a few 100 MB.

For reference, my partitions are: boot 100MB, swap 512MB, root ~12GB, windows ~6.4GB.

My RAM is 196MB, and I find that once I start using more than a couple of 100MB swap, the system starts disk-thrashing and becomes unusable - well before the swap is exhausted.

Separate partitions for /home, /var, /tmp etc are not really useful on a desktop machine and make like difficult if one becomes full while there is still plenty of space elsewhere.
Raccroc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my two cents...

Agreed, 1000mb is WAY to big. Rule I've been using lately is 2x ram if <256mb. Otherwise, ram + 20mb. Seems to work pretty well.

As far as partitions goes...I'd put /var and /tmp off of root even on a desktop. There are still way to many things that can happen which can cause a rogue process to fill /tmp or your logger to fill /var (and if they are on the same partitions as /, they'll take down the system). A good example is iptables. I had it fill over 1gb of data in a little over an hour due to a disagreement it had with my pix about dns. Filled /var and the service stopped logging. No worries.

One word of caution.../var doesn't need to be very big (espically if not using as a server); however, portage does use /var/tmp for compilation by default and will cause thing to fail if it runs out of space. If you put /var on it's own partition, be sure and change the portage_tmpdir option in your make.conf.
johnk73
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll half my swap partition size, what size should I make the /var and /tmp partitions would 1GB be enough or is that too much?
Jimbow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 21 Gig available for Linux and I've got that split up in three partitions of 7 Gig each. This has worked out really well. I currently have 2 forms of Gentoo and one Debian installed. If I ever run out of space, I will use one of the "spare" partitions as needed. I am looking forward to upgrading to the new ReiserFS when it comes out. I will just format a partition, boot off the install cd and cp -a my system to the new file system.

I've done it other ways and this has been the best for me. The key is to have 3 or 4 medium sized partitions to play around with.

BTW: I use the same /boot and swap for all of the Linuxes.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a relatively large amount of RAM it can make sense to mount /var/tmp and /tmp as tempfs, which exists entirely on RAM. Have a good amount of swap space, though.
gojuka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnk73 wrote:
OK I'll half my swap partition size, what size should I make the /var and /tmp partitions would 1GB be enough or is that too much?

If you use LVM, you need not worry about such things, you can resize as you need. Search the forums, there is a mini-howto in here somewhere that details doing an install with LVM.

md.
bumpus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: make a /home partition Reply with quote

I'd pretty strongly recommend that you make a separate /home partition. It'll make things a lot easier for you if you ever decide that you want/need to reinstall your system.
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you plan to store anything critical on your linux box, such as documents for your job, studies or whatever... go for a / and /home partition (/var and /tmp seems useless to me, in most cases at least). maybe 2/3 for / and 1/3 for /home ?.

If you don't plan to store anything important and have no personal information that has to be saved whatever happens, go for a 100mb /boot, 500 /swap and the rest in /.

As a desktop user, reiserFS is what I would go for. Pretty reliable and good performances overall.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: