Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
NDISWRAPPER on the livecd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

would you like to see ndiswrapper on the livecd
yes
75%
 75%  [ 51 ]
no
25%
 25%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 68

Bad Penguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stringbean wrote:
So the official word from the devs is that ndiswrapper is evil, taints the livecd and is redundant as there are alternative solutions. Oh a we're morons for purchasing hardware that lacks Linux support... :evil:

In all fairness, from what I can tell no actual gentoo developer has said that. Don't get forum administrators confused with gentoo developers. There hasn't actually been any response other than what is in bugzilla.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Penguin wrote:

In all fairness, from what I can tell no actual gentoo developer has said that. Don't get forum administrators confused with gentoo developers. There hasn't actually been any response other than what is in bugzilla.

All global moderators are in Gentoo staff, and some of them are also developers

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/roll-call/userinfo.xml

However, you have the right to ask for what you want, and other users have also the right to ask for what they don't want, as not all decisions are purely technical. It'll be decided by those that are taking care of Gentoo releases what gets and what doesn't get into the CDs.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:

AidanJT wrote:

Just because you people are too lazy to a) plan a network correctly, b) understand the hardware you're about to buy, c) do a little cabling work.. All of a sudden everyone has to bend over backwards to accomodate for your laziness and outright stupidity.

Wow. All I can say is that this statement shows where the stupidity lies.

Banned both. Personal attacks are not tolerated.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I wonder how it is lazy to not drill holes in your roof in order to route cables to all of the rooms in your house when paying for such services can cost quite a bit and take some time, or just take some time if you buy the cabling yourself and try to set it up yourself and lets hope you don't screw it up which would then take even more time. When you could just by a wireless router and in some cases an amplifier for the signal and get a few wireless nics and solve the problem without paying some guy to drill holes in your home or risk screwing it up yourself.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Bad Penguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
LOL I wonder how it is lazy to not drill holes in your roof in order to route cables to all of the rooms in your house when paying for such services can cost quite a bit and take some time, or just take some time if you buy the cabling yourself and try to set it up yourself and lets hope you don't screw it up which would then take even more time. When you could just by a wireless router and in some cases an amplifier for the signal and get a few wireless nics and solve the problem without paying some guy to drill holes in your home or risk screwing it up yourself.

Heh heh, perhaps I did not make myself clear. It wouldn't require merely drilling holes in the roof. It would require removing a portion of the roof, renting a crane of some kind, finding some piece of equipment that can drill straight down through two stories of solid wood, running the cable through the run, reconstructing/sealing the roof, installing a wiring closet on the 1st floor, and running the cables through the 1-2 foot crawl space. And oh yeah, did I mention that heavy equipment cannot even drive onto the property because it is up an extremely steep hill and it would destroy the septic system even if they did cut down a forest to get up here?

I love linux, but sheesh, I think I will just stick with wireless.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me falls over laughing really really hard.
I wonder how much that would actually even end up costing were you to even attempt it. You would have had to have built the house with this sort of networking setup in mind so as to avoid the hassle of trying to do it after the fact. Personally I will probably have to have a boat load of things custom made when I finally do end up being in a position to purchase my own home I already could use a totally custom computer stand for this box and some non retarded bookshelves, [I'm really tired of trying to pull my left arm out of the socket just to reach a book, it really ought to come down to me.] not to mention a custom kitchen, [again I'm tired of having to take my arm out of the socket to get at things.] I think anyone reading this gets the idea that all of this will cost me quite a bit and being able to not have to spend extra on a specially designed cabling setup just to be able to get the occassional operating system installed would be appreciated.

That is all anyone is saying here why ask people to break thier back to get something as minor [relatively speaking] as getting Gentoo or any other comparable system installed on a box when one can at least in some cases load the drivers for various nics into the Linux Kernel and continue as normal without having to leave something else without connectivity for the duration of the initial setup process which really only ends up creating more work for the end user than there should have to be given the size of ndiswrapper itself as far as space on the hard medium is concerned.

I think its really sad that Gentoo's users should have to result to building customized livecd's just to get something like this.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
opopanax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather have open drivers available, yah. I'm not saying it wouldn't be convenient to have ndiswrapper on the livecd, it would. It just doesn't belong there. If you can point out any other software on the gentoo livecd that only works with proprietary middleware, then by all means, I'll shut my yap. However, I am a purist, except when I choose not to be--but I want it to be my choice. One of the reasons I like ubuntu, gentoo, and all the other free distros--They don't make me break the law by installing stuff that could theoretically get me into trouble, like libdvdcss in the US. I still install it, but I make the conscious choice, just like I make the conscious choice to use proprietary nVidia drivers. But I have the choice. I fire up mepis, and ndiswrapper "just works." However, there is no EULA for the driver that it magically installs and modprobes. For all I know, I could be violating copyright/patent infringement laws. Gentoo doesn't put you in that situation. If you want it, get it yourself, and be aware of the consequences.

ndiswrapper doesn't belong on the LiveCD.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does ndiswrapper break any law when the person using it would more likely than not have legally purchased the hardware and therefore have good reason to use the drivers for said hardware? Having Ndiswrapper on the installation media wouldn't even require you to install anything at all; it does not require the manufacturers of the installation media to actually put the drivers for hardware supported by ndiswrapper on the installation medium those must be supplied by the end user directly.

slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sketelsen wrote:
I'd much rather have open drivers available, yah. I'm not saying it wouldn't be convenient to have ndiswrapper on the livecd, it would. It just doesn't belong there. If you can point out any other software on the gentoo livecd that only works with proprietary middleware, then by all means, I'll shut my yap. However, I am a purist, except when I choose not to be--but I want it to be my choice. One of the reasons I like ubuntu, gentoo, and all the other free distros--They don't make me break the law by installing stuff that could theoretically get me into trouble, like libdvdcss in the US. I still install it, but I make the conscious choice, just like I make the conscious choice to use proprietary nVidia drivers. But I have the choice. I fire up mepis, and ndiswrapper "just works." However, there is no EULA for the driver that it magically installs and modprobes. For all I know, I could be violating copyright/patent infringement laws. Gentoo doesn't put you in that situation. If you want it, get it yourself, and be aware of the consequences.

ndiswrapper doesn't belong on the LiveCD.

1) ubuntu includes ndiswrapper in their kernel by default. All you have to do is install the ndiswrapper utility and you've got everything you need. So I'm not sure what you're talking about when you indicate that they don't do exactly that.

2) It sounds like you're saying "mepis uses ndiswrapper and includes the drivers for you already" and then you assume that including ndiswrapper in the livecd means that the drivers would be included. Well, the problem with your assumption is that including ndiswrapper doesn't mean that gentoo includes the drivers. The drivers, normally (unlike in how you describe mepis), are supplied by you; you copy the inf file to your linux partition and then install it using the ndiswrapper utility.

And if you WANT IT TO BE A CHOICE, then why don't you give people the choice of being able to use ndiswrapper? All we'd be doing is including the kernel module for it (modprobe ndiswrapper) and a little utility that takes an inf file that you supply and uses it. Don't want to use ndiswrapper? Then don't do "modprobe ndiswrapper."
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said he just doesn't understand that there is no need whatsoever for the manufacturer to include the drivers they would only need to include the ndiswrapper module and the loading utility. Now that I think about it the whole issue over the hardware drivers being included by Mepis is most likely moot since typically those drivers are freely downloadable on the hardware manufacturers website. alsoit would again require that you actually have the hardware before the drivers are of any use unless of course you wanted to reverse engineer the drivers; which of course is still a non issue since the drivers could easily be obtained directly from the manufacturer without them ever even asking you to confirm that you even posses the hardware at all.

Bad Penguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sketelsen wrote:
If you can point out any other software on the gentoo livecd that only works with proprietary middleware, then by all means, I'll shut my yap.

nvidia
opopanax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh? I thought you had to download it. haha! still doesn't mean I'm wrong. :-) Just my opinion.
Bad Penguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
/me falls over laughing really really hard.
I wonder how much that would actually even end up costing were you to even attempt it. You would have had to have built the house with this sort of networking setup in mind so as to avoid the hassle of trying to do it after the fact.

With my home this is particularly bad ;( Log homes are either pre-drilled before shipping or drilled log by log as they are stacked on. Once the home is put together, there is no way short of tearing off the roof to run cables (upstairs). The ceilings are cathedral so there is not attic space to run cables through. One option would be to run them outside and drill straight through a log, if you want to take a hit on the value of the home just to run ethernet cables. Another problem is the various animals around here that just love to chew up wiring for some reason. Wiring, a/c ducting, insulation, you name it, they'll chew it up.

Shadow Skill wrote:
Personally I will probably have to have a boat load of things custom made when I finally do end up being in a position to purchase my own home I already could use a totally custom computer stand for this box and some non retarded bookshelves, [I'm really tired of trying to pull my left arm out of the socket just to reach a book, it really ought to come down to me.] not to mention a custom kitchen, [again I'm tired of having to take my arm out of the socket to get at things.] I think anyone reading this gets the idea that all of this will cost me quite a bit and being able to not have to spend extra on a specially designed cabling setup just to be able to get the occassional operating system installed would be appreciated.

Heh heh, if my home ever burns down, you can bet it will be crazy wired, fiber runs for the trunks to gig switches ;) Hell, they even have refridgerators with cable tv in them now.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Penguin wrote:
sketelsen wrote:
If you can point out any other software on the gentoo livecd that only works with proprietary middleware, then by all means, I'll shut my yap.

nvidia

nvidia drivers aren't on the livecd.
Bad Penguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sketelsen wrote:
Oh? I thought you had to download it. haha! still doesn't mean I'm wrong. :-) Just my opinion.

ndiswrapper = gpl
nvidia = proprietary

You might also want to bone up on how the gnu microkernel is implementing drivers, it does exactly what ndiswrapper does.
Bad Penguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
Bad Penguin wrote:
sketelsen wrote:

nvidia

nvidia drivers aren't on the livecd.

Yes, they are. I used it just the other day.

Check http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/2006.0/livecd/livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso.CONTENTS:

Code:

~/temp $ grep nvidia livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso.CONTENTS
./lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r4/video/nvidia.ko
./etc/modules.d/nvidia
./usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6
./usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/XF86Config.sample.gz
./usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/NVIDIA_Changelog.gz
./usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/README.gz
./usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5
./usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/README.gz
./usr/bin/nvidia-bug-report.sh
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/extensions
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/extensions/libglx.so
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.la
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1.0.6629
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.6629
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libnvidia-tls.so
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.6629
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/tls
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/tls/libnvidia-tls.so
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.6629
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/include
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/include/glxtokens.h
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/include/gl.h
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/include/glext.h
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/include/glx.h
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/no-tls
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/no-tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/no-tls/libnvidia-tls.so
./usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/no-tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.6629
./usr/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/environment.bz2
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/CONTENTS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/USE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/CXX
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/PKGUSE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/CBUILD
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/RESTRICT
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/PROVIDE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/LIBCXXFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/SLOT
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/COUNTER
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/CTARGET
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/LDFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/ASFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/INHERITED
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/RDEPEND
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/CATEGORY
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/EAPI
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/IUSE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/LIBCFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/LICENSE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/FEATURES
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/PDEPEND
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/EXTRA_ECONF
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/NEEDED
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/CHOST
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/EXTRA_MAKE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/CFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/DEBUGBUILD
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/CC
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/DEPEND
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/PF
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6.ebuild
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/CXXFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6/EXTRA_EINSTALL
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/environment.bz2
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/CONTENTS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/USE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/CXX
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5.ebuild
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/PKGUSE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/CBUILD
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/RESTRICT
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/PROVIDE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/LIBCXXFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/SLOT
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/COUNTER
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/CTARGET
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/LDFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/ASFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/INHERITED
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/RDEPEND
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/CATEGORY
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/EAPI
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/IUSE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/LIBCFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/LICENSE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/FEATURES
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/PDEPEND
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/EXTRA_ECONF
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/NEEDED
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/CHOST
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/EXTRA_MAKE
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/CFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/DEBUGBUILD
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/CC
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/DEPEND
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/PF
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/CXXFLAGS
./usr/livecd/db/pkg/media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5/EXTRA_EINSTALL
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Penguin wrote:

Yes, they are. I used it just the other day.

Oh; guess I was used to the old livecd's. Oh well

edit:
Though the devs will say that including nvidia and not ndiswrapper is ok because nvidia's driver is better tested than the other.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Penguin wrote:
ndiswrapper = gpl
nvidia = proprietary
That has nothing to do with it, according to what I've read, as you would stil nead the binary and proprietary Windows module to actually make use of it. Thus there is no difference to doing a networkless install then using a removable media to install ndiswrapper on, or installing a supported ethernet card in the first place.

Bad Penguin wrote:
You might also want to bone up on how the gnu microkernel is implementing drivers, it does exactly what ndiswrapper does.
Incorrect. The GNU Hurd/L4 microkernel architecture implements its drivers using userspace server daemons, which communicate with each other and the "true" kernel via asynchonous IPC and shared memory. (This driver-in-userspace model is one aspect of whyt this architecture is theoretically very powerful and stable; but this asynchronous message-passing is one of the things that makes it incredibly difficult to debug, according to RMS in Revolution OS.) NDISwrapper is a method of implementing enough of the Windows driver stack in the Linux kernel that such a driver can run, unmodified, as a loadable Linux kernel module.
HydroSan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. What an arrogant and callous response from a developer of Gentoo! "You're a careless fool and nobody cares about you." Thanks! I'm glad to know that the developers of this distribution don't give a flying fuck about its own users! It could be as easy as adding one line and compiling the module in. It takes next to no time to put on the CD. Just list it as "unsupported." But stating "WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU" is quite possibly the worst response I've ever heard. Hell, it reeks of Debian. And why do you think I left Debian? Because they told me they didn't "give a shit" about my plights.

Server status: Currently down, being replaced with fresh install - 20% completed.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without Ndiswrapper and its module loading utilities one would have to use the files that are actually on the installation media thereby increasing the amount of time it would actually take for one to actually have an appropriately functioning system. I have even run into situations where the files on the install medium are bad in someway which basically means I am totally fucked without a network install unless I feel like redownloading the install medium isos. It happened to me with my freebsd install but I was able to continue the install and skip a ridiculously long upgrade process by performing an ftp install. Waiting until one is able to boot the box outside of the chroot and then set the nic up and then run through the upgrade to the initial system is just one extra step that does not need to exist for any real reason. Also keep in mind that some of us don't download the new live cd for each new profile and instead use older live cd's since it is a simple process to pull the up to date stage directly from the internet along with things like the Kernel sources. It is also more than possible that one may even need a specific version of a given package to be ready before you get out of the chroot in order for you to be able to do anything on your system. [I've had problems with my desktop Keyboard with older versions of the kernel on other distro's and have never been able to install Freebsd on my current desktop because of bugs in the driver for my onboard nic.]

slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
Thus there is no difference to doing a networkless install then using a removable media to install ndiswrapper on, or installing a supported ethernet card in the first place.

Sure, if you think there's no difference between an installation that takes a long time and another that doesn't.

If I can use ndiswrapper DURING THE INITIAL INSTALL then I can save time by syncing from the beginning.

And as mentioned earlier, why should I install an ethernet card I don't want to use just to do an initial install? This is like when I first got my SATA drive and when I said I wanted SATA drives supported on the livecd people suggested I go out and buy an extra ATA drive to do the install to and then add support for my SATA later. Instead, at the time, I used knoppix cause it had SATA drivers and gentoo's installcd didn't.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sly do you happen to know if the newer install media has sata drive support or where I can find out such information the laptop I am about to jump on is going to have a sata hard drive in it, It would really suck to get ready to put Gentoo on it [should I decide not to give freebsd a chance on that hardware] and find that it cannot properly read the sata drive to even begin the installation.

brainiac_ghost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@shadowskill: the new livecd's have SATA support
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
Sly do you happen to know if the newer install media has sata drive support or where I can find out such information the laptop I am about to jump on is going to have a sata hard drive in it, It would really suck to get ready to put Gentoo on it [should I decide not to give freebsd a chance on that hardware] and find that it cannot properly read the sata drive to even begin the installation.

Gentoo's installcds have had SATA for quite some time. I was just using that as an example.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has gone beyond ridiculous. So here - for the very last time:

It's only the LiveCD, which you only need to use for installing Gentoo, which takes a few hours.
For those few hours, you won't be able to use ndiswrapper, but wired ethernet.
If you don't want to use wired ethernet, do a networkless install.
If you don't want to do that either, get some live cd that has ndiswrapper on it, it's not like you're forced to use Gentoo's live CD. What is wrong with using another tool if it fits the purpose? Apart from having nothing to complain about here any more of course.
If you don't want to use another live CD either - and please call me arrogant for that if you have to - appearently no one cares enough about you to add this feature to the live CD because there are plenty of alternatives.

Bad Penguin wrote:
"Carelessly", as least as it translates to me, implies that I was either stupid, didn't research the problem, or was just too lazy to check before I bought. None of which are true statements.

Yes, appearently you knew what you were doing, which is even worse.

Bad Penguin wrote:
I did research which wireless cards would be compatible. As I explained above, the only store in my locale that carried the wireless pcmcia and pci cards didn't happen to have the cards listed on the compatibility lists. Almost all of the cards were rebranded and did not specify the chipset on the box. I don't know about where you live, but where I live they do not allow you to tear open the box at the store and eyeball the chipset on the cards themselves. It is a crapshoot until you can get the card in the box and do an lspci on it. And asking the "salespeople" if the cards are linux compatible, good luck. So no, it had nothing to do with me being careless, it has to do with what sells. Of course I would rather use cards that do not require windows drivers, but the reality is that they were not available. Not everyone lives around a Fryes or Egghead outlet, whatever.

So why the hell do you shop there if they won't even test you the hardware. There must be some alternative, c'mon. You gave money to the people who did nothing for you when you bought the cards, and now you want the Gentoo devs to fix it up for you for free.

Bad Penguin wrote:
As a matter of fact, I live in a log home with solid 12x6 Canadian hemlock walls. I could tear off my roof and drill some wire runs if I was willing to spend about $50k to run wires up to my wife's gentoo workstation, fabricate a wiring closet, and set up patch panels. I chose option number 2, purchased a wireless router, a wireless pci card, and used ndiswrapper along with the installation cd that came with the card, about $100.00.

And in case you need to install your box upstairs you could simply get a 20m ethernet cable for 10$ lying around your floor for a few hours. Or download another live CD that supports it for free. :D

Bad Penguin wrote:
For some bizarre reason my office also uses wireless, as well as almost every hotel I have stayed at, McDonalds, and almost every cafe in my city. Freaking cheapskates.

Damnit, that means i can't install Gentoo if i only have the Gentoo Live CD AND need ndiswrapper AND am at McDonalds!

stringbean wrote:
When I started using Gentoo a couple of years ago the message was of choice. The users could choose what they wanted and would be given a range of options. After reading this thread I am starting to think that the choice is the devs and not the users...

All about choice doesn't mean you can force the developers to support every feature you want on the live CD. It means you are very flexible in what you can do - such as doing a networkless install, or an install from another live CD (e.g. one that supports ndiswrapper).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: