View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neiltrodden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Cleanly migrating from gnome to kde? Reply with quote

Although gnome is ok, I have decided to migrate to kde full-time as I find it a much more configurable environment. I was in two minds when installing gentoo and decided to go with gnome. Later on down the line, I found that I needed some kde apps and added the USE flags at that point.

Although I have now installed the full kde desktop, these are the current problems I have:

* Media applications are not sharing the audio between themselves. This will be something to do with aRTs but I can't remember which applications I installed with or without support for it. Mplayer is one of them but that has been recompiled lately while arts was in my /etc/make.conf.

* The desktop does not feel *complete* in that there are no desktop icons at all for /home/neil, the cd drive etc etc

* The k menu's are not complete either but I have only recently installed the desktop so I think the applications I have installed before then need re-installing to fix that.

I *know* I could re-install gentoo to get as clean a build as possible but I think that goes against what gentoo stands for. So ideally, how do I do the following:

Rebuild everything that *can* have kde support with it but only those packages. Also, as I remove the gtk and gnome USE flags, I want to rebuild everything that is affected. I think that should fix all the above but how would I do it?
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cleanly migrating from gnome to kde? Reply with quote

neiltrodden wrote:
Although gnome is ok, I have decided to migrate to kde full-time as I find it a much more configurable environment. I was in two minds when installing gentoo and decided to go with gnome. Later on down the line, I found that I needed some kde apps and added the USE flags at that point.

Although I have now installed the full kde desktop, these are the current problems I have:

* Media applications are not sharing the audio between themselves. This will be something to do with aRTs but I can't remember which applications I installed with or without support for it. Mplayer is one of them but that has been recompiled lately while arts was in my /etc/make.conf.

* The desktop does not feel *complete* in that there are no desktop icons at all for /home/neil, the cd drive etc etc

* The k menu's are not complete either but I have only recently installed the desktop so I think the applications I have installed before then need re-installing to fix that.

I *know* I could re-install gentoo to get as clean a build as possible but I think that goes against what gentoo stands for. So ideally, how do I do the following:

Rebuild everything that *can* have kde support with it but only those packages. Also, as I remove the gtk and gnome USE flags, I want to rebuild everything that is affected. I think that should fix all the above but how would I do it?

fix your use flags and try a
Code:

emerge -uDa --newuse world

Green use values are ones that would be added by recompiling. be carefull though.
neiltrodden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This produces no packages to update/emerge. My problems must be down to the order I have installed user applications *before* installing the desktop I would like.

Perhaps a full rebuild of kde followed by another emerge of all my user apps will at least cause them to install themselves in the k menu properly. If I have to do that, I am tempted to re-install gentoo as although it will take a while to get a clean gentoo base, I have used quickpkg to make a binary package of my x install and then I am at the point where I can emerge kde again..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: