View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 30, 31, 32  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kossmagic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little hint for people who have some problems with the gnome-settings-deamon (like that http://webpages.charter.net/cdsprague/gnomebroke.png)
Under gnome, open a console and then run the command /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-deamon and look at the error. My problem was a segfault with some plugins from gstreamer, juste reemerge control-center with USE="-gstreamer".

It works great for me (sorry for my english)
monts
n00b
n00b

Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bk0 wrote:
ZFPE5B wrote:
After updating Gnome 2.12.3 to 2.14.0 I can no longer mount drives, and they are not appearing. The only device that I can mount is the cd-rom. Nothing in my fstab changed. :cry:

That's predictable. Automounting seems to break pretty much every time GNOME is upgraded on my machine. That's why I'm really hesitant to upgrade to new releases since it guarantees I'm going to have to spend at least a few hours tracking down obscure HAL/dbus/g-v-m problems just to get my USB devices working properly again.

Must admit that this is the first real problem that I've had since upgrading to 2.14 its a real pain having to mount stuff as root to get data on and off removeable media, cdrom included.
x1um1n
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using gnome-volume-manager? as I've had no issues with it..
you *can* mount as a user without g-v-m if you can't get it working, just add usr to the opts in your /etc/fstab, like so:
Code:
/dev/usbkey            /mnt/iRiver     auto            noauto,rw,user         0 0

that'll allow you to mount it from a term as a user, then add a disk mounter applet to your panel.. any entries in fstab that you can mount as a user are added to the applet in real-time..

its not *quite* as nice as a working g-v-m but it'll get you thru
Linux Version 2.6.25-hh4, Compiled #1 SMP Sun May 25 17:17:46 GMT 2008
Two 3GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 12004 Bogomips Total
omnius
monts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x1um1n wrote:
are you using gnome-volume-manager? as I've had no issues with it..
you *can* mount as a user without g-v-m if you can't get it working, just add usr to the opts in your /etc/fstab, like so:
Code:
/dev/usbkey            /mnt/iRiver     auto            noauto,rw,user         0 0

that'll allow you to mount it from a term as a user, then add a disk mounter applet to your panel.. any entries in fstab that you can mount as a user are added to the applet in real-time..

its not *quite* as nice as a working g-v-m but it'll get you thru

I've the correct entries in /etc/fstab

Code:
/dev/sda      /mnt/usb-flash    auto      noauto,rw,user   0 0
/dev/sda1      /mnt/usb-hdd   auto      noauto,rw,user   0 0
/dev/sdb      /mnt/usb-flash-1 auto      noauto,rw,user   0 0
/dev/sdb1       /mnt/usb-hdd-1   auto      noauto,rw,user   0 0

and when i plug the usb drive in it gives this message in a popup window.

Error wrote:
Cannot Mount Volume
You are not priveledged to mount the Volume 'blah'.

It also happens for cd's and dvd's as well.

It all worked fine under Gnome 2.12 and i guess thats what i get for unmasking packages and building them before everything has been ironed out :?

EDIT: g-v-m appears to be running
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the fstab entries. They are not needed and break g-v-m.
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with gnome-terminal and vim here. opening a file in gnometerminal using vi, whenever I press the Pos1 button, the cursor jumps one line up, goes to the beginning of the line and prints out the letter H. If I press the Home button, the same happens, but instead of H I read the letter F. this only happens under gnome-terminal. if I use vi in my textconsole, pos1 and home behave as expected.
monts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
Remove the fstab entries. They are not needed and break g-v-m.

Thanks, worked a treat
ianwilder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, but how do you get gvm to mount to a static mountpoint? mainly, for things that rely on /mnt/cdrom/ being where cdrom data is all the time. a dynamic symlink would be the best thing i venture.

100th post! yay!
iaindb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I make gnome-screensaver use the old xscreensaver hacks? I've seen people say how, but I can't figure it out. I even converted one of the old xscreensaver xml files into a new gnome-screensaver .desktop file, but it didn't even show up as an option!

Also, gnome-screensaver seems to ignore the mouse when locking the screen - which means when I'm web-browsing and not using the keyboard for a while the screensaver keeps activating. Anyone else see this behaviour?

cya,
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Whenever I start gnome and open an nautilus window, 2 icons of the toolbar show an error picture, like this (look at the icons left of the refresh button: http://members.chello.nl/k.groeneveld1/Screenshot.png
When I kill nautilus and restart it, the icons work normally and look like this: http://members.chello.nl/k.groeneveld1/Screenshot-1.png

I didn't have this problem with gnome 2.12

How can I solve this??

TIA,
Frank
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sepp wrote:
I have a problem with gnome-terminal and vim here. opening a file in gnometerminal using vi, whenever I press the Pos1 button, the cursor jumps one line up, goes to the beginning of the line and prints out the letter H. If I press the Home button, the same happens, but instead of H I read the letter F. this only happens under gnome-terminal. if I use vi in my textconsole, pos1 and home behave as expected.

this seems to have been an xorg issue. just updated a few packages today and this odd behaviour went away
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't read this thread for two weeks... what's the matter with GNOME 2.14? Why isn't it in testing yet? :?

In the meantime I tried Fedora Core 5 and GNOME 2.14 works like a charm! I had to wait a week for some important updates (kernel in CDs/DVD didn't work with non-GPL module) but now it looks great! 8O

I wish to came back to Gentoo for just one reason: customization... I hate when I have to install one thousand libraries and programs I don't need just for some unwanted dependancy. :evil:
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
Sorry, I didn't read this thread for two weeks... what's the matter with GNOME 2.14? Why isn't it in testing yet? :?

In the meantime I tried Fedora Core 5 and GNOME 2.14 works like a charm! I had to wait a week for some important updates (kernel in CDs/DVD didn't work with non-GPL module) but now it looks great! 8O

I wish to came back to Gentoo for just one reason: customization... I hate when I have to install one thousand libraries and programs I don't need just for some unwanted dependancy. :evil:

Well for example, read my post above, or check out bugs.gentoo.org, there are still a lot of unresolved issues. Maybe you don't have them, but others experience problems.
Don't whine, just unmask them and install it if you really want to.
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenkel wrote:
Don't whine, just unmask them and install it if you really want to.

If you read my previous posts you'd know I've already tried to install GNOME 2.14 with success. I had some minor problems with GConf and an unresolved dependency with gnome-python.

However I'll wait when it will be tested enough and marked as testing or stable before reinstalling Gentoo (maybe for 2006.1 release?)... :(
artworcs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However I'll wait when it will be tested enough and marked as testing or stable before reinstalling Gentoo (maybe for 2006.1 release?)...

Why do you have to reinstall gentoo? The whole purpose of gentoo is to install once and update forever.
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since upgrading to gnome 2.14 I have this strange font problem: writing a new email with evolution and pressing the tabulator button, I get a rectangle displayed but the cursor jumps correctly to the right location. this behaviour doesn't happen in gedit, but only in evolution.
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artworcs wrote:
Why do you have to reinstall gentoo? The whole purpose of gentoo is to install once and update forever.

Yes, but I don't want to wait months before I can install and use a stable desktop system...
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
what's the matter with GNOME 2.14? Why isn't it in testing yet?

See tracker bug.
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
artworcs wrote:

Yes, but I don't want to wait months before I can install and use a stable desktop system...

Use 2.12 instread then, it's rocksolid, very usable and has almost no bugs.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenkel wrote:
lex82 wrote:
artworcs wrote:

Maybe he needs practice.
artworcs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said anything about stable? I'm running ~x86 for about a year, and overall, i have less crashes then with any other distro. There is no need to reinstall. That's the beauty of gentoo. I haven't found any problem that i couldn't fix given more or less time.

And i don't know about you, but i only found one significant problem with gnome 2.14.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
However I'll wait when it will be tested enough and marked as testing or stable before reinstalling Gentoo (maybe for 2006.1 release?)... :(

This is antiquated behavior from using other distribution and Windows... Gentoo stays clean and does not get bloated over time. You won't see much difference between installing gnome-2.12 and upgrading 2.14 later or installing only when 2.14 is stable...

If you cannot find your way around gnome-2.14, stay on 2.12. If you can deal with the few bugs still around, just emerge it.

I use gnome-2.14 on 2 computers (home and work testing bed) and 2.12 on my main production system. I expect 2.14 to be marked stable ONLY when it is safe for production system... other distributions can release earlier because of their monolithic behavior and lack of configuration. Gentoo flexibility has the extra burden of being stable on ALL possible combination of configurations/packages.
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenkel wrote:

GNOME 2.12 uses pmount for automounting and it's really ugly! It doesn't work almost all the time. GNOME 2.14 uses gnome-mount and as far as I tested it in Fedora Core 5 and Gentoo 2006.0 it works very good... Then, version 2.14 uses GStreamer 0.10 instead of the old and deprecated GStreamer 0.8. Many things that makes the difference...

I didn't say that Fedora Core is better than Gentoo but many times Gentoo's devs wait too much before releasing some packages. I don't have much time to wonder why things don't work using testing or masked packages but I really need Linux (for work purpose and for university) and I need it quick!

artworcs wrote:
And i don't know about you, but i only found one significant problem with gnome 2.14.

That's why I'm asking: why it's still masked?

Testing should mean something that works but it need to be tested. When I find a package masked I assume it doesn't work at all!
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
frenkel wrote:

GNOME 2.12 uses pmount for automounting and it's really ugly! It doesn't work almost all the time. GNOME 2.14 uses gnome-mount and as far as I tested it in Fedora Core 5 and Gentoo 2006.0 it works very good... Then, version 2.14 uses GStreamer 0.10 instead of the old and deprecated GStreamer 0.8. Many things that makes the difference...

I didn't say that Fedora Core is better than Gentoo but many times Gentoo's devs wait too much before releasing some packages. I don't have much time to wonder why things don't work using testing or masked packages but I really need Linux (for work purpose and for university) and I need it quick!

artworcs wrote:

Testing should mean something that works but it need to be tested. When I find a package masked I assume it doesn't work at all!

Gentoo Dev's have nothing to do with availabilty of Gnome (or other programs)
GNOEM has been avail on GENTOO within hours of it being officially released, it was then in MASK a few days later.

THIS is the difference between GEntoo and binary distro's

FC-devs HAVE to package up GNOME when it becomes avail and then you have to wait for the next release.
The moment a package is released there is normally ebuild floating around for it.

IF you are comparing a Binary distro releaseing to Gentoo-Dev's supplying in ~ARCH/ARCH portage then there is still differences. Gentoo by its nature has alot more places it can do optimisations (say in CHOST,...). FC compile to the lowest common denominator so it just works, Gentoo-Devs have to add patches or build-orders (or CFLAG rerestriction) to ensure it compiles

Sure Gentoo is very dynamic, BUT when faced with a Bindary distro at its 6month release cycle they are faster and that is it!!

Sure FC5 might come with the new GNOME at that moment, but in a few week's when GNOEM 2.14.1 is released Gentoo will have that but FC wont
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
frenkel wrote:

artworcs wrote:

So what is your problem? It's working great you say, so why are you whining then?
I would say, unmaks the shit and install!! 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 18 of 32

Jump to: