Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindphaser
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
GNOME 2.12 uses pmount for automounting and it's really ugly! It doesn't work almost all the time. GNOME 2.14 uses gnome-mount and as far as I tested it in Fedora Core 5 and Gentoo 2006.0 it works very good...

Uhm I cant secound that !! In 2.12 the automounting worked perfect for me, but now guess what is my one and only problem with GNOME 2.14....
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Sure FC5 might come with the new GNOME at that moment, but in a few week's when GNOEM 2.14.1 is released Gentoo will have that but FC wont

Why not? They are the same version with some improvements and bugfix. I suppose is the same as versione 2.12. FC4 updates until 2.12.3 so I don't understand why FC5 won't support 2.14.1... :?

I repeat: I don't mean to say that FC is better than Gentoo (because it's not) but it provides a working Linux desktop in less than 20 minutes, instead Gentoo needs at least two days! :(

Quote:
Uhm I cant secound that !! In 2.12 the automounting worked perfect for me, but now guess what is my one and only problem with GNOME 2.14....

With the old g-v-m (in GNOME 2.10) it worked perfectly but when I updated GNOME to 2.12.2, g-v-m messed everything!!!
tomekk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: eclasses for gnome 2.14? Reply with quote

I'm too lazy to search informations about my question... (There are too many pages ;) )

When'll be corrected eclasses for gnome 2.14?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
Naib wrote:
Sure FC5 might come with the new GNOME at that moment, but in a few week's when GNOEM 2.14.1 is released Gentoo will have that but FC wont

Why not? They are the same version with some improvements and bugfix. I suppose is the same as versione 2.12. FC4 updates until 2.12.3 so I don't understand why FC5 won't support 2.14.1... :?

I repeat: I don't mean to say that FC is better than Gentoo (because it's not) but it provides a working Linux desktop in less than 20 minutes, instead Gentoo needs at least two days! :(

Quote:

With the old g-v-m (in GNOME 2.10) it worked perfectly but when I updated GNOME to 2.12.2, g-v-m messed everything!!!

IF you do not want to compile then Gentoo is not for you simple as that.
IF you want a system up in 20min then a binary system is what is needed. I have Ubuntu (+latest install CD) with my work laptop because I just want it to work and if it goes tits-up when out in the US I can fix.

I want to learn and have flexabilty for home so Gentoo is for me.

OK FC will keep updating within a version. HOWEVER... in 6months time a new GNOME will be released - GNOME-2.16. IF the next FC is in 12months then ppl with FC will be stuck with version 2.14 until the next release THIS is when Gentoo comes into its own.

The last version of Mandrake I used came out 2weeks before the next version of GNOME came out (early 2.# series) and it had some major additions, I was hacked off that now I had to wait for the next Mandrake. I tried custom RPM's but really got screwed on RPM-hell

a few re-installs later (after continuing to try) I tried from the source and got it running, BUT landed in some serious dep problems.
Heard abt Gentoo (well PORTAGE swung it) and never looked back.

Big compiles are what over-night is for. Kick them off, wake up and it is all done. You dont sit there waiting as the hours clock by... that is just silly.
star.dancer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: xgl Reply with quote

Anaki wrote:
I tried enable composite in metacity, i patched ebuild, enabled composite in X.org and in gconf, but i'm failed :( . Should somebody - who succeeded to enable composite - tell me how to do it? :roll:

This might be overkill for you: Modular X and Xgl are working quite well for me with gnome 2.14 and, oh my, they are gorgeous. Yay eye-candy. See the wiki and the thread. You'll have to install xorg 7 (modular x) but eventually you'll want to do that anyway.
Nazgulled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've trying to keep track of this topic but is getting to big and I'm not able to handle all this info...

You guys think it's safe enough to remove the gnome 2.14 mask from /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask and then emerge --sync; emerge -uD world?

I'm not able to update any other packages with the -uD world cause it always asks for some packages related to gnome 2.14 which is hard masked... Should I go ahead and unmask it? Anything I should know before unmasking it/updating world? What's the best way to do it? Remove the mask from packages.mask or copy everything from there and place in on package.unmask?
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nazgulled wrote:
I've trying to keep track of this topic but is getting to big and I'm not able to handle all this info...

You guys think it's safe enough to remove the gnome 2.14 mask from /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask and then emerge --sync; emerge -uD world?

I'm not able to update any other packages with the -uD world cause it always asks for some packages related to gnome 2.14 which is hard masked... Should I go ahead and unmask it? Anything I should know before unmasking it/updating world? What's the best way to do it? Remove the mask from packages.mask or copy everything from there and place in on package.unmask?

Simple answer is NO.

- mask is here for a reason. 2.14 is useable but it has bugs... if you want to try it you can, I used it but I learn to live with the problem it has... if you cannot handle a "emerge -uD world" I dont think unmasking ~100 packages is a good idea for you.

- you dont remove mask from packages.mask, you add packages to /etc/portage/packages.unmask.

- if you have dependencies in 2.14 already I guess you already installed unstable packages... so just don't do an emerge -uD world ... emerge -u world is enough, and wait for it to be unmasked.
Nazgulled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I have both the gentopia and break my gentoo overlay for some stuff (like gnome power manager) and I also have lots of packages on packages.keyword file from when I tried to emerge gnome 2.12 (which I'm using now and it's working just fine (with a few problems of course).

I'll try the emerge -u world and see if I'm able to do it, but I don't think I will... I'll just have to test it though, going to bed now. Thanks for the suggestion.
neonknight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with unmasking packages has shown me to always unmask a certain version. Otherwise you get in serious problems with dependencies as you installation grows and gets older.
Jointy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy @ll,

My Gnome2.14 works fine at time, but some at the startup goes wrong....

Code:

The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_ClockApplet".

^^what can I do ????

PS: I'm using the xorg-6.8.2-r6
[Host: Pandora]
PIII 1Ghz (133) / 512MB
1x40GB & 60GB (mdRAID1)
Hardened Stage 1 Server
[Host: Plato]
verkauft (OpenSuse 11.0)
Kragen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to fix the clock simply re-emerge gnome-panel

It's listed somewhere earlier in the thread, but finding things in a thread 19 pages long isnt easy (why cant the forum search direct you to individual posts?)
Kragen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just emerged gnome 2.14 running the stable xorg (modular xorg and then xgl is my next task :D). Everything compiled fine first time. My gnome-volume-manager is working nicly for the first time ever, and actualy showing my extra hard drives and other useful bits and bobs :D Apart from the clock not working properly, everything seems to be fone. gonna take a look around... :D
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kragen wrote:
(why cant the forum search direct you to individual posts?)

It can! Go to the search tab and set "Display results as:" to posts
Kragen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh :S lol

thats so much better - i've been using the quick search all the time - forgot there was a proper search page!
Nazgulled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikshaar wrote:
(...)
- if you have dependencies in 2.14 already I guess you already installed unstable packages... so just don't do an emerge -uD world ... emerge -u world is enough, and wait for it to be unmasked.

still doesn't do it...
Code:
nazbox nazgulled # emerge -pvu world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating world dependencies -
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=gnome-base/librsvg-2.13.5" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- gnome-base/librsvg-2.14.2 (masked by: package.mask)
# John N. Laliberte <allanonjl@gentoo.org> (12 Mar 2006)
# GNOME 2.14 mask. You must follow instructions here:
# http://d.g.o/~allanonjl/gnome/2.13/adding.from.overlay.txt
# for adding files from our overlay.
#Most of these packages will break/not compile because of eclass
#changes that won't be made until every package is in the tree.
#Don't unmask these and don't file bugs for them
# Start GNOME 2.14 mask
# do not forget about -extensions.
# speech-tools and festival do not compile with gcc 4.1
# remember, they are using the 2.6 series for 2.14
# so don't put this in the tree.

- gnome-base/librsvg-2.14.1 (masked by: package.mask)
- gnome-base/librsvg-2.14.0 (masked by: package.mask)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
!!!    (dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-2.13.92" [ebuild])

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for gnome-base/gnome
!!! Depgraph creation failed.
iaindb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:

Are you using ~x86 gnome-2.12? Because I think these g-v-m issues are all sorted, and it's not only the fault of g-v-m, it's also dbus et al. There is a must read here!. It contains many suggestions. Most notably, with the current ~x86 version of the world, these problems you may be having should be fixed...

HTH.
olger901
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jointy wrote:
Hy @ll,

My Gnome2.14 works fine at time, but some at the startup goes wrong....

Code:

The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_ClockApplet".

^^what can I do ????

PS: I'm using the xorg-6.8.2-r6

Re-emerging gnome-panel without the eds USE flag (NOT to confuse with the esd USE flag!) could solve the problem.
Anaki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI!

I got this, while emerging yelp-2.14.0:

Quote:

checking whether we have a gtk 2 gecko build... configure: error: This program needs a gtk 2 gecko build

what is the problem? Maybe an unset USE flag? :?

Thanks or the help.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anaki wrote:
I got this, while emerging yelp-2.14.0:

Quote:

checking whether we have a gtk 2 gecko build... configure: error: This program needs a gtk 2 gecko build

In the configure script for yelp, look for "gecko". The most pertinent block is:
Code:
# Autodetect gecko
_geckos="firefox mozilla-firefox seamonkey mozilla xulrunner"
if test -z "$gecko_cv_gecko"; then
   for lizard in $_geckos; do
      if $PKG_CONFIG --exists $lizard-xpcom; then
         gecko_cv_gecko=$lizard
         break;
      fi
   done
fi

Now, the dependencies in the yelp ebuild show:
Quote:
!firefox? ( >=www-client/mozilla-1.7.3 )
firefox? ( >=www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2-r1 )

So you should have either firefox or mozilla installed. If not, did you run emerge with its "-D" option?

I bet there are loads of people whose Gnome compilations are failing during the first run because they're not using the -D flag.
Anaki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerging mozilla solved the problem. Thanks Paul :D
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've installed it again... I can't live without Gentoo. I used FC5 for just two weeks and I was going crazy: programs crashed all the time, dependency problems...

I've installed a new Gentoo 2006.0 base system with kernel 2.6.16-r1 (gentoo-sources). I emerged X.org 7.0-r1, GNOME 2.14.0 and Firefox 1.5.0.1. It compiled almost straight (only some problems with gnome-media which needed ~/.gnome2 directory).

It works even better than the last time: GConf problem (freezing when changing an option) didn't show anymore, beagle works but doesn't start automatically, etc.

Only two problems:

1) when I try to select "Beagle Live!" from Deskbar preferencies it freezes and, if I force it closing it freezes gnome-panel;
2) When I try to "emerge --newuse --update --deep world" it shows me:

Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies... done!
[blocks B     ] <dev-python/gnome-python-extras-2.13 (is blocking dev-python/gnome-python-desktop-2.14.0)

Some hints?
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
Ok, I've installed it again... I can't live without Gentoo. I used FC5 for just two weeks and I was going crazy: programs crashed all the time, dependency problems...

I've installed a new Gentoo 2006.0 base system with kernel 2.6.16-r1 (gentoo-sources). I emerged X.org 7.0-r1, GNOME 2.14.0 and Firefox 1.5.0.1. It compiled almost straight (only some problems with gnome-media which needed ~/.gnome2 directory).

It works even better than the last time: GConf problem (freezing when changing an option) didn't show anymore, beagle works but doesn't start automatically, etc.

Only two problems:

1) when I try to select "Beagle Live!" from Deskbar preferencies it freezes and, if I force it closing it freezes gnome-panel;
2) When I try to "emerge --newuse --update --deep world" it shows me:

Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies... done!
[blocks B     ] <dev-python/gnome-python-extras-2.13 (is blocking dev-python/gnome-python-desktop-2.14.0)

Some hints?

possibly:
emerge --unmerge gnome-python-extras && emerge gnome-python-desktop gnome-python-extras
or
emerge --unmerge gnome-python-extras && emerge gnome-python-desktop
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
[blocks B ] <dev-python/gnome-python-extras-2.13 (is blocking dev-python/gnome-python-desktop-2.14.0)

This is Gnome 2.14, not Gnome 2.13. Unmask dev-python/gnome-python-extras.

From /usr/portage/dev-python/gnome-python-desktop/gnome-python-desktop-2.14.0.ebuild
Code:
!<dev-python/gnome-python-extras-2.13
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I solved emerge's problem but now the DeskBar Applet in GNOME doesn't load anymore. Even if I try to recompile it gives me some errors and I'm now able to install it anymore...

Moreover, I found other two problems:
1 - BugBuddy crashes after the update;
2 - Anjuta 1.2.4 crashes on start.
CloudBolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: gconf-editor 2.14.0 emerge error Reply with quote

when I try to emerge gconf-editor 2.14.0, it gives me an error concerning install_qa_stack. it seems to compile fine, but fails when installing.
DOS is a boot partition virus.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 19 of 32

Jump to: