View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saferin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.14 gonna take as long as 2.12? Reply with quote

Hello!

I was just wondering if there is many problems with Gnome 2.14 as there where with 2.12?
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll probably know that after it comes out.

What sorts of problems are you having with 2.12? I find it to be pretty stable.
Saferin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have any problems with it now. What I meant by _problems_ is that 2.12 took a HELL of a long time before it was marked stable under gentoo.

I was wondering if there are similiar showstoppers in 2.14 + Gentoo.
tj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.14-beta seems fine for me on x86 - the xgl stuff I'm playing with still has a couple of quirks but it's experimental so :)
same with 2.12, if you're prepared to read up on how to unmask (and at times fix) stuff then no need to wait

of course that comes with the caveat that unmasked = unsupported, a choice you decide to make

nothing personal, but we seem to get this with every 'brand-name' package rev-release - if you want stable gentoo you wait, if you want the package (typically kde/gnome) more than the (meta-)distro you are beholden to no-one here :)
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using 2.13/2.14 for a while now on amd64. It's pretty clean at this point (with the exception of those using the evdev driver in modular X -- that's still not fixed though there's a proposed patch).

As to how long it takes to go stable, the best way to speed that up is to unmask the ~arch packages and help out with testing, filing bug reports, etc. If you're not comfortable doing that it's perfectly okay :wink: but as with anything else, if you want bleeding-edge you have to put more time into tinkering and testing.
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always head over to BMG and use their ebuilds as well - though I prefer just unmasking the gentoo ones myself.

BMG's had gnome 2.13 releases up to the latest RCs for 2.14 - Heard they work pretty well...

Truth is, packages like gnome and kde and X sit in ~arch for a long time as they have to be really really tested on a variety of hardware with different options, etc - an undiscovered bug in one of them (which a lot of people use) is a lot more critical in terms of perception of the distro than, say, sci-chemistry/mead - if that crashes from insufficient testing, it'll affect a lot less than say, gnome, or X11.

While I'm no developer for gentoo (one can dream, can't they?), I wouldn't wager on seeing 2.14 unmasked in portage for a while. Likely package.mask for at least 2 weeks, maybe 3, and then ~keyword for another month... Again, just a guess, but that's traditionally they way things have been done ever since 1.2a
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaseburn wrote:
BMG's had gnome 2.13 releases up to the latest RCs for 2.14 - Heard they work pretty well...

They do indeed, those are the Gnome packages I've been using.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saferin wrote:
I dont have any problems with it now. What I meant by _problems_ is that 2.12 took a HELL of a long time before it was marked stable under gentoo.

YES. 2.14 will sit on the masked by keyword list for just as long. This is just how things work. If you want to use it, unmask the packages. If you want to wait, get active in the bug reports. I'm sorry but this question is no different that asking: "Do you think it will rain as much in 2007 as it did in 2006?"

Frankly, no one knows how long things will stay on masked or hard-masked. If people knew that, they would know the bugs beforehand and would fix them, thus there would be no such thing as bugs and we would all live in a perfect world. Bugs are just a nature of programming and with meta-programs like GNOME, they are quite numerous. Just how it works. You are asking an unanswerable question here. Best guess? Don't expect GNOME-2.14 to come off masked by keyword before GNOME-2.16 is released.
Saferin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
Saferin wrote:

YES. 2.14 will sit on the masked by keyword list for just as long. This is just how things work. If you want to use it, unmask the packages. If you want to wait, get active in the bug reports. I'm sorry but this question is no different that asking: "Do you think it will rain as much in 2007 as it did in 2006?"

Frankly, no one knows how long things will stay on masked or hard-masked. If people knew that, they would know the bugs beforehand and would fix them, thus there would be no such thing as bugs and we would all live in a perfect world. Bugs are just a nature of programming and with meta-programs like GNOME, they are quite numerous. Just how it works. You are asking an unanswerable question here. Best guess? Don't expect GNOME-2.14 to come off masked by keyword before GNOME-2.16 is released.

:roll:

But the 2.12 was way longer than normal, so something was more wrong than normal. I was just wondering if any of those EXTRA hard problems poped up with this one. If I don't recall wrong, I think the problem with 2.12 where that is was many applications that was needed, that were hardmasked.

Seriously, many dists will have Gnome 2.14 alot quicker than ~6 months (Gnome releases in 6 month cycles), so I doubt it will take that long. BUT if there are any of those extra problems I was asking about, then yes I can see it taking alot longer. But not under "normal" (and normal defined by Gnome 2.6-2.8-2.10 times) conditions.

I was not expecting a direct to stable move. If you don't know what I am talking about, then read up on forum post about the problems with 2.12 before it went stable on Gentoo. Then you might know what I am talking about.

8)
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to help, or just keep an eye on things, go to the tracker bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=119872
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to decide for yourself (as a system admin), if it's worth running GNOME before it gets moved over. The best way to do that (as others have pointed out) is looking at the bug report.

Personally, I think it's OK to put gnome as "~" in your package.keywords, as it gets a fair amount of testing before release, plus another few weeks before the gentoo team unmasks it (which pretty much guarantees there will be no showstopping bugs). The only issue might be if it depends on other packages (like dbus, etc...) which haven't been moved over yet, in which case you will also have to add those to your package.keywords.
sclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to Gentoo and was wanting to install Gnome 2.14, but was trying to find a way to use portage to do it. Based on this, I'm assuming I can just use the instructions here http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Dealing_with_masked_packages to unmask it? I'm assuming I should just try to emerge gnome-2.14? Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm just trying to learn my way around portage.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnome 2.14 mask is quite large, so you'd be better off copying it wholesale into package.unmask. Be aware that if you're new to Gentoo and start messing around with package masked or unstable keyword packages, you're going to have to learn pretty fast.
sclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm not sure what you mean by copying it wholesale, is this documented somewhere so I can see how to do it?

I was wanting to play with 2.14 and was thinking that it would be better to install it this way than to use another package like BMG. Am I wrong? I am new to portage, but I've been playing with Linux for years.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't make any difference whether or not you use the BMG or any other overlay; you're still going to have to unmask the Gnome packages.

If what I've said doesn't make sense, you probably want to read portage(5) and the linked URLs and man pages.
Specialized
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there Gnome 2.14 ebuilds in portage?
As I thought the stable version of 2.14 has released today I thought it would be in portage.
But I cant find any after syncing portage...
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo Bugzilla wrote:
------- Comment #13 From John N. Laliberte 2006-03-14 18:15 PST -------

we are in the process of adding the 2.14 packages to package.mask as they are
released upstream.

Follow Bug 119872 for its portgage status.

Specifically, what this means, is that they'll be adding the packages to the hard package.mask file and ebuilds into portgage as the sources get released from upstream. As of 1040 PST, I'm not seeing any of them on any of the mirrors, nor a release notification on gnome.org for them - they may have been delayed a little. Basically though, they'll be added as they get released. Give it a few days. I know it's hard, I've been waiting with baited breath on this release for a month - hell, I woke up yesterday thinking it was Wednesday, and now, when it really is, it still hasn't been released... Yay for me :-)
1veedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like sclough.

How do you install the lattest gnome? Umask what?
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overview:

1. Grab the bmg overlay, the gnome-experimental overlay, or wait till ebuilds start to hit Portage
2. Deactivate the Gnome 2.14 mask in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask (e.g. using /etc/portage/package.unmask)
3. Update gnome.

I don't really have time to write a howto, but it's really no different from normal Gentoo maintenance.
sclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've synched the BMG overlay into /usr/local/overlays/bmg-main . I see all the packages. I've added the portoverlay variable to my make.conf. What do I need to do to actually use these ebuilds? I assumed the portoverlay directive would be read by portage and it would read these ebuilds.
sclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, I've found my error and added gnome-base/gnome to package.keywords and now I'm getting the errors and I guess I'll start unmasking the packages.
joem
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sclough wrote:
Forgive me, I've found my error and added gnome-base/gnome to package.keywords and now I'm getting the errors and I guess I'll start unmasking the packages.

If you haven't been folowing and using the development releases, please just wait a day or so until all of the packages are added and it is unmasked. It won't be long and you will probably end up with a somewhat broken system if you unmask right now and install what is available. It will all be available really soon, I promise.
sclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll just wait a few days. I have a new gentoo box and I just wanted to get a gui up on it. I guess I'll emerge xfce and then wait until the end of the week and hopefully 2.14 will be available. Since I'm new, my understanding is that its going to be put into portage as an unstable package and I'll simply need to enable unstable packages for gnome and then emerge it. Is that correct?
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not emerge gnome 2.12? It's not that out of date...
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specialized wrote:
Aren't there Gnome 2.14 ebuilds in portage?
Nope. Ebuilds of a short mythical creature aren't in portage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: