wiki-like description of packages of online packages db
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcusvini
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: wiki-like description of packages of online packages db Reply with quote

Portage has now something around 130.000 packages, so an effort to concentrate the information for each package by a website administrator(s) would be a huge, BUT as Gentoo is a voluntary comunity supported meta distribution, shouldn't be cool to allow contributors to add information they find about each package on a page wiki-style, providing info already inside the ebuild files, such as in the online packages database, plus an explanation about the functionality of the package itself, how their use flags interact with the Gentoo system, similar packages, etc...
Something come up on my mind as a meta description of the package (kde, gnome, mplayer, amarok, etc) followed by the list of the versions avaiable to the portage tree, the use flags avaiable for each ebuild, links of equivalent packages, and so on.

This is just an idea which I believe that would improve the gentoo experience a lot.

What you guys think about it?
xef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea
coriolan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can leave comments to http://www.gentoo-portage.com/ and one can always use http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/. That should be enough for now.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: wiki-like description of packages of online packages db Reply with quote

marcusvini wrote:
Portage has now something around 130.000 packages,

Incorrect: The tree has ~135.000 files, the package count is only a fraction, currently it's about 10.000 packages. Doesn't change your point, just making sure we get the facts straight.
Quote:
so an effort to concentrate the information for each package by a website administrator(s) would be a huge, BUT as Gentoo is a voluntary comunity supported meta distribution, shouldn't be cool to allow contributors to add information they find about each package on a page wiki-style, providing info already inside the ebuild files, such as in the online packages database, plus an explanation about the functionality of the package itself, how their use flags interact with the Gentoo system, similar packages, etc...

I don't really have a opinion about the idea, just a few random comments.
Many people will probably point you to gentoo-portage.com (unoffical project) which has a comment feature, but I can't find any comments there currently (only checked a few popular packages though), so not sure how useful that is.
From the technical side you'd need some way of authentication, no clue if it could be integrated with one of our existing user databases (forums, bugzilla), personally I'd like to see a single sign-on solution for all Gentoo services, but that's just me dreaming ;)
Also history has shown that public wikis for official gentoo projects (= hosted on gentoo infrastructure) are met with some resistance, so if you (or anyone else) plan to push this you better do your homework :wink:
marcusvini
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for correcting me about the packages x files thing, Genone. 10.000 is indeed less than 130.000 ;)
I also agree with you about the certification stuff, so I believe the same level of authentication of gentoo foruns would fit for this IMHO.
I believe Wiki's tools allow this sort of identification.
I just put Wiki framework because it is already a popular tool to consolidate comunity knowledge, and I believe our forum network is already mature enough (in aspect of helping get stuff done).
For people that dont know me, Ive been lurking around Gentoo foruns for more than one year already, but just recently I took the decision of contributing in a more pro-active way, thats the reason the low number of posts.

Maybe just upgrading the interface of online package database could do the work, but I dont know about the plans of the webmasters about that interface to Gentoo repository.

I put this idea to this forum more to help improve the Gentoo experience, because I believe the devs and admins have been doing a great job already and giving tips that would increase the workload on volunteers is not a cool stuff (unless you volunteer to help with the extra workload, which is the case here ;) )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: