Increasing partition size
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d1sturbanc3
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Increasing partition size Reply with quote

When I installed gentoo, I thought I just I needed it for this one class. But when I installed gentoo, I loved it. I want increase the hard drive space that gentoo is occupying. Right now, I´m dual booting windows on one harddrive with about 50 gigs. Gentoo has the other 10 gigs.

Would it be possible to transition more harddrive space to gentoo (the / partition)? I know programs like partition magic can do something like that. Is there a better way to do it without killing everything?

Last edited by d1sturbanc3 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
kfiaciarka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing partition size Reply with quote

d1sturbanc3 wrote:
When I installed gentoo, I thought I just I needed it for this one class. But when I installed gentoo, I loved it. I want increase the harddrive space that gentoo is occupying. Right now, I´m dual booting windows on one harddrive with about 50 gigs. Gentoo has the other 10 gigs.

Would it be possible to transition more harddrive space to gentoo (the / partition)? I know programs like partition magic can do something like that. Is there a better way to do it without killing everything?

Try resizing under windows with PQMagic. And then use free space for linux, just determine what system directory is biggest and move it onto new partition. And then mount it and add lines to fstab.
See:
Code:

/dev/hdb9               /               reiserfs          noatime,notail  0 1
/dev/hdb11              /home           ext3          noatime,defaults        0 2
/dev/hdb10              /usr            reiserfs        notail,noatime          0 1
/dev/hdb6               /var            reiserfs        notail,noatime  0 1

And fsdisk -l
Code:

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *           1        1275    10241406   83  Linux
/dev/hdb2            1276       14596   107000932+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hdb5            1276        3188    15366141   83  Linux
/dev/hdb6            3189        3876     5526328+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb7            3877        5891    16185456    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hdb8            9951       14596    37318963+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hdb9            5892        6378     3911796   83  Linux
/dev/hdb10           6379        7716    10747453+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb11           7717        9950    17944573+  83  Linux
dobysirius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm facing the same "problem", I only gave it 10 GBs and now it's pretty full.

Is it possible to resize my / partition to make it bigger? It's ReiserFS. I know there are several programs that can resize FAT partitions (that's how I cut out space for Gentoo originally), but I assume they might break the ReiserFS if they just enlarge the partition without "knowledge" of the FS.

I'd certainly prefer it than having more partitions (I already have quite a few), though, of course, that's what I'll eventually do if I can't resize.
kfiaciarka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobysirius wrote:
I'm facing the same "problem", I only gave it 10 GBs and now it's pretty full.

Is it possible to resize my / partition to make it bigger? It's ReiserFS. I know there are several programs that can resize FAT partitions (that's how I cut out space for Gentoo originally), but I assume they might break the ReiserFS if they just enlarge the partition without "knowledge" of the FS.

I'd certainly prefer it than having more partitions (I already have quite a few), though, of course, that's what I'll eventually do if I can't resize.

There is no other way!! This way is even safer than any other:)
Kurt Steiner
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kfiaciarka wrote:
There is no other way!! This way is even safer than any other:)
There is always another way. :P It may take more time but I think it is safer: you make backups of your systems (even if you use PM as kfiaciarka proposed make a bakup or you may cry for a long time :wink: ), partition your disks with any tool you like (maybe fdisk) and restore your backups.

As you see the only difference is that you do not have to use commercial software... :P
d1sturbanc3
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply... I have a portable harddrive.. is it possible to just do a copy of all the data from the gentoo / directory, and putting it on my portable harddrive. Then just use PQ magic to resize windows parition... repartition everything for linux. Then restoring all the data from the / directory? I guess I'll need to put my boot partition also
Kurt Steiner
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d1sturbanc3 wrote:
is it possible to just do a copy of all the data from the gentoo / directory, and putting it on my portable harddrive. Then just use PQ magic to resize windows parition... repartition everything for linux. Then restoring all the data from the / directory?
Yes it is possible just to copy your linux. You can also make archive using tar with -j (to make a *tar.bz2) or -z (*tar.gz) options - I prefer this method. :) Make a backup your windows too. :wink:
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Other Things Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: