Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

A quick update on the status of Gentoo on the PS3 on Friday 5, January 2007

The past week has seen the release to the Gentoo mirrors of a PS3 boot CD, a LiveCD, and a stage4 tarball, so a lot of the information in this thread preceding this post is now out of date.

Installation

The simplest way to install Gentoo on your PS3 is to use a LiveCD and stage4 tarball, especially if you are new to Gentoo. See http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3 for a installation guide and information about obtaining the boot CD image and official stage 4 tarball. Currently this method limits you to a 32bit userland, but an official 64bit version in the works.

If you are an experienced Gentoo user, and want to make your own install from a stage 3, I have instructions at http://www.daniel.jp/joomla/info/ps3/installing-gentoo-on-the-ps3.html, but be aware this method should be considered unsupported now we have an official way:)

Cell Toolchain
Shortly the official GRP for Gentoo on PS3 will include the Cell toolchain, but until that time you can get info on building your own at http://www.daniel.jp/joomla/info/ps3/creating-ps3-toolchains-on-gentoo.html
inindo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokka wrote:

That file seems to decompress fine here when I download it - maybe you should try deleting the copy you have and redownloading it...

There were several files that gave me the same error. I ended up compiling those from source which worked, I'll see about trying the binary packages again this weekend, or just seeing if I can uncomress them at all manually. Baffles me why only a few of the binary packages would fail though.
acidraven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now gentoo on the ps3 is on Slashdot. http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/01/10/1341257.shtml
It is to bad that the person who did this must not have read this thread or he would have learned about the work you have been doing, including the ps3 binary you have compiled, and how to use the distributed compile.

Keep up the good work, maybe some time soon I will try the install my self, I just have so many things going on at the moment.
MrFlesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: uhh question............ Reply with quote

Is it possible to play PC games on the PS3?
valczir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: uhh question............ Reply with quote

MrFlesh wrote:
Is it possible to play PC games on the PS3?

Probably not. It will obviously depend on which game you want to play, but they'll need PPC64 binaries (unless I'm mistaken), which rules out games like UT2004, Quake 4, and wine (since, to my knowledge, wine only runs on x86*). So that's a maybe for open source, linux-native games. Otherwise, I'd say unlikely, at best.
Tashi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i have a 4801 TV amd i stuck at this hidious resolution? i set the kboot.conf to option one. if i can get my tv-out on my windows box to output a higher res there must be a way to do it on here right? the configure desktop box in kde doesnt even fit on the screen >.<
sub_zero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for doing this. I just got mythtv working on my ps3 so I'm pretty happy. Now I just need to mess with mplayer a bit.
spindley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the weekend getting MythTV up and running on Gentoo on my ps3, and it works quite well. Streaming xvid movies from my Debian server is *slightly* choppy, but all in all quite good.
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: MythTV Reply with quote

To those who have been using Myth on your PS3, I'm interested in which USE flags you passed. I am seriously considering providing mythtv as a binary package (GRP) and passing the frontendonly USE flag along with others. Please weigh in which you think make sense and I will add it to the repository.
brewin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: 1680x1050 Reply with quote

I've got my PS3 hooked up to a Sceptre X22wg-gamer with HDMI and text looks bad at 1080i (and every other resolution). Is there any way I could run X at the native 1680x1050 resolution? The mode isn't listed by ps3videomode -v. Does fbdev support this resolution?

Also, should I have MAKEOPTS="-j2" or MAKEOPTS="-j3" in make.conf? It seems like everyone is using "-j2", but isn't it dual-core? Or does it not make any difference?
anunakin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1680x1050 Reply with quote

brewin wrote:
I've got my PS3 hooked up to a Sceptre X22wg-gamer with HDMI and text looks bad at 1080i (and every other resolution). Is there any way I could run X at the native 1680x1050 resolution? The mode isn't listed by ps3videomode -v. Does fbdev support this resolution?

Also, should I have MAKEOPTS="-j2" or MAKEOPTS="-j3" in make.conf? It seems like everyone is using "-j2", but isn't it dual-core? Or does it not make any difference?

I think the better choice is MAKEOPTS="-j3" :wink:
Sony PS2 50001, with PS2Linux, HDD 80GB
boachan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished installing gentoo on my ps3, installed enlightenment, but my mouse doesnt work when i go into it.

any ideas thanks.
cyanide_nfs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paste your xorg.conf
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1680x1050 Reply with quote

anunakin wrote:

I think the better choice is MAKEOPTS="-j3"

I think the better choice is MAKEOPTS="-j1"

:twisted:

The PS3 has limited memory, -j3 is just asking for pain, -j1 with the minimal use of swap will be the faster by far. Oh, and if you are still running into memory issues during compilation try dropping -pipe...
anunakin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1680x1050 Reply with quote

tokka wrote:
anunakin wrote:

I think the better choice is MAKEOPTS="-j3"

I think the better choice is MAKEOPTS="-j1"

:twisted:

The PS3 has limited memory, -j3 is just asking for pain, -j1 with the minimal use of swap will be the faster by far. Oh, and if you are still running into memory issues during compilation try dropping -pipe...

But -j1 means you have ZERO cpus, because we must use N-CPUs+1 .... I compiled same apps with -j2 and -j3 ... and -j2 and -j3 use swap ... but I think -j3 more fast....
Sony PS2 50001, with PS2Linux, HDD 80GB
boachan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyanide_nfs wrote:
Paste your xorg.conf

Code:
# XFree86 4 configuration - mtb test for ps2 livecd
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen  0      "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, a font server independent of the X server is
# used to render fonts.
        RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Unknown monitor"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "fbdev"
        Option "ShadowFB" "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24
        DefaultFbBpp 32
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group        0
        Mode         0666
EndSection
sub_zero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-j1 doesn't mean you have zero cpu's, the #cpus + 1 idea for the -j options is just a guideline. All -j does is tell how many jobs should run simultaneously, and as was previously posted, doing more at a time will use more ram.

As for my mythtv use flags, I just went with the basic. I built the backend too but I'll probably redo it later with just the frontend and with altivec(Despite building it with the backend support, the backend crashes very quickly without giving an error).
Code:
[ebuild   R   ] media-tv/mythtv-0.20_p11626  USE="alsa joystick opengl vorbis -altivec -backendonly -crciprec -dbox2 -debug -dts -dvb -dvd -freebox -frontendonly -hdhomerun -ieee1394 (-ivtv) -jack -lcd -lirc (-mmx) -perl (-xvmc)" VIDEO_CARDS="(-i810) (-nvidia) (-via)" 0 kB
spindley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub_zero wrote:
Thanks a lot for doing this. I just got mythtv working on my ps3 so I'm pretty happy. Now I just need to mess with mplayer a bit.

Did you get mplayer to work nicely? I'm still have a bit of a problem with choppy video on my xvids. What options did you pass to the mplayer command in the Myth video player settings?
spindley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub_zero wrote:
-j1 doesn't mean you have zero cpu's, the #cpus + 1 idea for the -j options is just a guideline. All -j does is tell how many jobs should run simultaneously, and as was previously posted, doing more at a time will use more ram.

As for my mythtv use flags, I just went with the basic. I built the backend too but I'll probably redo it later with just the frontend and with altivec(Despite building it with the backend support, the backend crashes very quickly without giving an error).
Code:
[ebuild   R   ] media-tv/mythtv-0.20_p11626  USE="alsa joystick opengl vorbis -altivec -backendonly -crciprec -dbox2 -debug -dts -dvb -dvd -freebox -frontendonly -hdhomerun -ieee1394 (-ivtv) -jack -lcd -lirc (-mmx) -perl (-xvmc)" VIDEO_CARDS="(-i810) (-nvidia) (-via)" 0 kB

My USE flags are almost identical to sub_zero's, except i also had frontendonly.
sub_zero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for mplayer I use
Code:
mplayer -fs -vo x11 -zoom -sws 0 %s
in mythtv, and it works fine speed-wise. My only problem is that it messes up the aspect-ratio for some reason. I can only run it on 480i, and with different settings in mplayer I either get: Video the full height of the screen but not the full width, video the full size of the screen but with green vertical bars, or video bigger than the screen(Which for some reason doesn't take up the full screen of the television).
spindley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub_zero wrote:
for mplayer I use
Code:
mplayer -fs -vo x11 -zoom -sws 0 %s
in mythtv, and it works fine speed-wise. My only problem is that it messes up the aspect-ratio for some reason. I can only run it on 480i, and with different settings in mplayer I either get: Video the full height of the screen but not the full width, video the full size of the screen but with green vertical bars, or video bigger than the screen(Which for some reason doesn't take up the full screen of the television).

I'm using the same command as you are. I've tried VLC and Xine as well; VLC is worse in the way of flickering, and the audio in Xine is terrible (haven't figured out a way to fix it yet). I tried changing the value of -sws in mplayer, which resulted in audio being out of sync by at least 15 seconds. I think it's about as good as it's going to get until we get access to the GPU.
spindley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, does anyone else notice that the load averages seem to be awfully high for an idling system? I'm seeing a constant 1.00 load average when the system is idle.
Code:

ps3 ~ # cat /proc/loadavg
1.00 1.00 1.00 1/65 11041

Seems a bit strange to me. Granted, I don't have any experience with a Cell processor. :)
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

My first post here. I am having some serious audio issues with Gentoo on PS3 running KDE. Here are my settings and symptoms: (copied from another post at a different forum, with no response, and resolution.)

After installing VLC or even MPlayer to install, the sound doesn't work properly. In order to make it work, you have to constantly change the audio output device, or driver in the preference meneu, kill the application, and restart. If you repeat this process for about 4 or 5 times, it then plays the sound correctly. Otherwise, the audio is all broken up in VLC, and in MPlayer, the audio doesn't play at all. On VLC, only OSS would work. And on MPlayer, only sdl would work. That's if I can get it to work...

Once you have this fixed, and if you reboot the OS, and try to launch a movie file, the same process repeats itself. Sound is completely broken.

I am using KDE, and in the control center OSS audio device works for me. And in KDE. I want to also note that ALSA does not work in KDE. Within the KDE Control Center, when I try to change the audio device to ALSA, it gives me an error regarding inability to find capture device.

OSS in VLC also represents a problem. It complains about no finding /dev/dsp. This directory doesn't exist. Obviously, this is a configuration issue. But, where and how do I fix this?

Is anyone else running into this issue?

Another thought. After doing some research, I've come to learn that OSS and ESD will conflict with ALSA. If this is the case, and if Sony is also officially supporting ALSA, and if ALSA provides OSS emulation, then why is OSS even there?
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one knows?? Hmmm... Let me post a different question:

I wanted to see if the latest 64-bit PPC Stage 4 tarball would make any difference. So, I've installed it, and followed this thread like a bible in making sure that my configuration files were all set, including the rc-updates to set my ALSA as the default drive.

I am about to install KDE. The question that I have is what is the best USE flag to use when compiling KDE to minimize the audio and video? If I understand correctly, PS3 linux core uses openGL? Also, on the audio front, it's ALSA?

Can anyone share their package.use entry of KDE so that I'll know how to compile KDE on the PS3 without all of the unnecessary USE flags turned on? I want to run this lean and mean to minimize memory, and CPU overhaul. In the past, I've just downloaded a pre-built binary package, but it didn't work out very well for me on the Audio front. Both VLC and MPlayer had some serious issues of complete audio breakup....

If this is not a USE flag / compilation issue, then can someone point me to the right direction?

Thank you
jakep_82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your sound question specifically, but I will mention that KDE is probably not a good choice for the PS3. You've only got 256MB of RAM to work with and KDE is one of the heaviest desktops you can choose. You might want to use something lighter like Xfce. Part of your problem might be because you're thrashing your rather slow HD (5400RPM) with swap.

Also, OpenGL is not possible with the PS3. It's framebuffer only right now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 8 of 21

Jump to: