Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asong26 wrote:

If this is not a USE flag / compilation issue, then can someone point me to the right direction?

Don't take this the wrong way, but, um Gnome:)

:roll:

It works on the PS3, and works well.

Video and audio. You should give OSS a wide birth, yes ok with the emu layer in ALSA you can use it, but thats there for legacy apps, not mplayer:)

Using mplayer and vlc on the PS3, use ALSA. Xine has audio "issues" on all the PS3 distributions, so use the esd driver.

All three player apps work well on the PS3 in Gnome at 480i - larger resolutions maybe a, um, stretch :lol:
Until we have cell native support of at least YUV to RGB conversion video playback on the PS3 will be a disappointment at higher resolutions.
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan on using xine, so do I need ESD?, Do even need OSS? If I recompile KDE with oss and esd options taken out, would that make KDE a bit more optimized from audio stand point? When I say optimized, I mean reduction of potential driver conflicts.

The last build of kdebase from the GRP repository is the one that gave me the audio problem. Is there a way to find out what was enabled on those binary packages? I am very new at this, and read as much manuals I can on various sites including wiki on USE flags, and portage, but still confused... How do you know that the prebuilt binary is lean or not?

Also, what do you mean by giving OSS a wide birth? Do you mean available cache?

In my current KDE settings, ALSA cannot be used. It will not initialize. I get an error complaining about lack of capture device. Using Mplayer, OSS does not work. It complains about missing or not having access to /dev/dsp.

This is really frustrating. This is why I was thinking about compiling my own to disable all other audio devices except for ALSA, since ALSA offers other legacy audio emulations, and since VLC and mPlayer will access the audio device directly, I just didn't see the need for my use.

Please correct early and often. I am learning the pros and cons as I go along, and this thread, and your posts have been very helpful in understanding linux (gentoo)
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakep_82 wrote:
I can't answer your sound question specifically, but I will mention that KDE is probably not a good choice for the PS3. You've only got 256MB of RAM to work with and KDE is one of the heaviest desktops you can choose. You might want to use something lighter like Xfce. Part of your problem might be because you're thrashing your rather slow HD (5400RPM) with swap.

Also, OpenGL is not possible with the PS3. It's framebuffer only right now.

Jake,

Once I get VLC to work on my KDE setup (takes about 5, 6 tries), everything is beautiful. I was able to play a h264 file at 720P (networked streamed via samba from a windows xp shared drive), while another console was re-compiling MPlayer and had firefox2 browsing websites with heavy graphics content. Not a single slow down. VLC performs flawlessly in KDE (once you can get the audio problem to go away).

So this tells me, that memory really isn't the issue here. This is why I thought it may be an issue with audio drive conflicts, or how the stage3 tarball, or even the KDE GRP pakcage may have been compiled with everything turned on....

I am trying to find the best way to recompile everything, except for the kernel. I am just trying to figure out the most optimal build for VLC assuming exclusive ALSA usage, and all supported video and audio codecs.

Currently audio breaks up horribly when you first start the app (or restart the OS), and the funny thing is, once I fix the audio issue, by continuing to switch audio devices, killing the app, relaunching the app via 'Mplayer', then, and only then the VLC will work as well. Isn't that weird? I can never seem to fix this audio issue with VLC. It must be fixed in MPlayer first, then the VLC will work. I wonder if there is some settings file that both VLC and Mplayer is accessing and updating. I can't explain this behavior....
Crymson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having an issue installing Gnome on my PS3 - I've gotten to the firefox install, and it's looking for mozilla-firefox-2.0-patches-0.4 - which doesn't exist on any of the mirrors anymore.

I took out the portage overlay to try and just get the newest version, but that didn't work either - it simply won't compile.

Is there some kind of repository out there that holds all the older packages/ebuilds?
Crymson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, took me a bunch of mirrors to check that I found on google, but I got it.
jakep_82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asong26 wrote:

Jake,

Once I get VLC to work on my KDE setup (takes about 5, 6 tries), everything is beautiful. I was able to play a h264 file at 720P (networked streamed via samba from a windows xp shared drive), while another console was re-compiling MPlayer and had firefox2 browsing websites with heavy graphics content. Not a single slow down. VLC performs flawlessly in KDE (once you can get the audio problem to go away).

So this tells me, that memory really isn't the issue here. This is why I thought it may be an issue with audio drive conflicts, or how the stage3 tarball, or even the KDE GRP pakcage may have been compiled with everything turned on....

I am trying to find the best way to recompile everything, except for the kernel. I am just trying to figure out the most optimal build for VLC assuming exclusive ALSA usage, and all supported video and audio codecs.

Currently audio breaks up horribly when you first start the app (or restart the OS), and the funny thing is, once I fix the audio issue, by continuing to switch audio devices, killing the app, relaunching the app via 'Mplayer', then, and only then the VLC will work as well. Isn't that weird? I can never seem to fix this audio issue with VLC. It must be fixed in MPlayer first, then the VLC will work. I wonder if there is some settings file that both VLC and Mplayer is accessing and updating. I can't explain this behavior....

ALSA and KDE are two very separate things. Audio is program specific and not related to KDE. I actually disable audio in KDE because I've always had problems with it (ARTS specifically, but that may have changed in the year or more since I used it). That doesn't mean I lose audio in specific programs. I still get sound (via ALSA) in Amarok, Xine, Mplayer, etc.
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: OK. I am definitely on the right forum.. Reply with quote

I just found another thread that's close to a year old. I am having the exact same problem:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/gentoo-linux-help/56038-linux-alsa-problem.html

Based on my limited knowledge, the tarballs are pre-built kernels? If so, does anyone know how the latest 64-bit userland kernels are built? I mean, were they built ALSA and OSS together?

If I were to attempt to remove OSS, and anything else under PS3 Gentoo kernel, how would I do this? Can I make the modification as is installed on my PS3, and somehow use emerge to update / recompile my kernel and the rest of the install?

I can't use ALSA. It doesn't work with anything, including mplayer, and VLC. They were both compiled with alsa options defined in the /etc/portage/package.use.

Another indication is that in KDE, I can't even use ALSA. I get the same error in the above link's thread.

Please help!
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Some things to do to the gnome/ps3 tarball Reply with quote

clintar wrote:
dutchman wrote:
Here are some things I recommend adding to the stage 4 tarballs:
Add support for sound (snd_ps3pf). I'm not sure what it actually takes to get this working.

Good list of ideas. The alsa stuff just takes /etc/modules.d/alsa edited to have
Code:
##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-ps3pf
##  OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

in those sections, then run update-modules and rc-update add alsasound default.

Man, this forum has definitely slowed down... Does anyone know if the above commands are valid, or still valid with the new 64-bit stage 4 tar ball? I am getting an error that complains about missing /System.map file when I do modules-update. After that error, I reoot. That's when I get fatal errors regarding System.map files on the initialization screen. After that, everything else fails to mount.

Please help!!
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone??? I would really like to get ALSA up and running, but If I do module-update with those settings the whole system goes haywire. Nothing mounts after that. Please..., this is critical.
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: audio problems Reply with quote

asong,

alsa, arts, and oss are all different things. ALSA does work properly. Try apps like audacious. Arts is what is in KDE and it does have 64bit issues. I didnt built or check anything related to oss, since alsa works fine.

Mplayer and xine do have have some issues, related to endianess or just 64bit, so dont use those as litmus tests for sound.

As for your modules_update issues, I will see if I can reproduce the problem
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: problems with stages Reply with quote

I looked into the reported problems of modules_update causing failure upon reboot. I simply cannot replicate this on either 32bit or 64bit userlands. Furthermore, I'm beginning to speculate you are not using Gentoo media since you are trying to add also modules to the modules file. If you are, keep reading.

On the official stage4 for ps3 stages, the kernel is mostly monolithic and the alsa sounds modules are built-in to the kernel. There is no reason to try and add them to a modules file and you don't need to configure anything to get alsa to work.

As one of the prior posters said, don't confuse alsa and arts. Arts has been reported to be flaky on 64bit but many folks still use KDE and just use alsa in the applications.

If you are not using the Gentoo stages distributed on Gentoo mirrors, I suggest you do. And if your problem continues, seek me or others out on #gentoo-ppc64 on irc. We can actively be of some help then.
sub_zero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a follow-up post for mythtv. I re-installed the ps3 with the 64-bit userland and installed mythtv. While the mythtv main package does have a ppc64 keyword, all the plugins for it do not. After I added all of them to portage.keywords with the ppc keyword, they installed fine and work as well. I also installed fceultra like this and got it to compile, but I haven't run it yet. I'm currently messing with getting the controllers to work. I can see their output through catting /dev/input/js0, but I can't configure them through jscal.
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: problems with stages Reply with quote

rangerpb wrote:
I looked into the reported problems of modules_update causing failure upon reboot. I simply cannot replicate this on either 32bit or 64bit userlands. Furthermore, I'm beginning to speculate you are not using Gentoo media since you are trying to add also modules to the modules file. If you are, keep reading.

On the official stage4 for ps3 stages, the kernel is mostly monolithic and the alsa sounds modules are built-in to the kernel. There is no reason to try and add them to a modules file and you don't need to configure anything to get alsa to work.

As one of the prior posters said, don't confuse alsa and arts. Arts has been reported to be flaky on 64bit but many folks still use KDE and just use alsa in the applications.

If you are not using the Gentoo stages distributed on Gentoo mirrors, I suggest you do. And if your problem continues, seek me or others out on #gentoo-ppc64 on irc. We can actively be of some help then.

Rangerpb:

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I am using the official stage4 64-bit userland. My confusion was largely out of 'windows' way of thinking that the device and the drivers must be set properly, and looking at the audio output device settings on many of the applications such as VLC and MPlayer. After doing some more research, I've come to learn that aRts is a wrapper in KDE. So..., I've turned off sound completely in KDE.

Can you please help to clarify one more issue? How about VLC? Do they have problems in 64-bit userland and build with ALSA? Based on your explanation, I should just leave the audio output device in these apps set to 'Default', instead of alsa? I will try that.

Quote:
I'm beginning to speculate you are not using Gentoo media since you are trying to add also modules to the modules file.

I do not know what this is. Is Gentoo media included with the stage4 tarball? If not, should I install it? I am doing a re-install right now. Currently compiling kdebase.

And..., while I have your attention, I would like to take care of lingering questions to get some better clarification if you don't mind...

I see different make.conf settings in the file included in the tarball vs. the settings recommended here (tokka). In your opinion, what is the most optimal for PS3 hardware? should I also enable -m64? I am somewhat familiar with the difference between 32bit vs. 64bit. But my understanding is limited to --> number of instructions per clock cycle and the amount of addressable memory. Does 64-bit apps by default hog more memory? Are there any differences in performance based on the limited 256MB ram on our system?

Here's a snapshot of what my make.conf file currently looks like:

Quote:
CFLAGS="-mcpu=G5 -O2 -m64 -maltivec -mabi=altivec -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
CHOST="powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="altivec nptl nptlonly -gnome"

# This should not be changed unless you know exactly what you are doing. You
# should probably be using a different stage, instead.

CHOST="powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/root/livecd/overlays/portage"

PORTAGE_BINHOST="http://ftp-chi.osuosl.org/pub/gentoo-ps3/grp64/All"
FEATURES="parallel-fetch"

Can you please make some recommendations as to what I need to add or change? My main interests in PS3 Gentoo are:

VLC
MPlayer
MythTV
Emulation

and KDE / xfce4

Also, if I am not going to be using aRTs (turning sound off in KDE), should I just go ahead and disable this feature for all apps by including -arts flag in the make.conf file?

Lastly, this is big pesky one for me: I've tried to play some commercial DVDs, but no success. When I use an decrypted DVD movie, it plays fine. I've tried this with both MPlayer, and VLC, but getting similar errors regarding inability to crack CSS. I've done some research on this, but learned that I need to have dvd, dvdread and dvdnav flags turned on a compilation time. It was already there. Also, I've attempted to re-emerge libdvdcss, libdvdread and libdvdnav, the problem persists. Have you tried playing a commercial DVD movie on your Gentoo on the PS3?

Thank you.
jakep_82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub_zero wrote:
This is a follow-up post for mythtv. I re-installed the ps3 with the 64-bit userland and installed mythtv. While the mythtv main package does have a ppc64 keyword, all the plugins for it do not. After I added all of them to portage.keywords with the ppc keyword, they installed fine and work as well. I also installed fceultra like this and got it to compile, but I haven't run it yet. I'm currently messing with getting the controllers to work. I can see their output through catting /dev/input/js0, but I can't configure them through jscal.

sub_zero,

How well is mythtv working for you? I have a dedicated backend and I'd like to setup my PS3 as a frontend, but most people seem to be having limited success. Everyone is saying they get choppy playback, especially for HD. Are you getting smooth playback with your setup? Any info on your configuration would be appreciated.
jakep_82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: problems with stages Reply with quote

asong26 wrote:
Lastly, this is big pesky one for me: I've tried to play some commercial DVDs, but no success. When I use an decrypted DVD movie, it plays fine. I've tried this with both MPlayer, and VLC, but getting similar errors regarding inability to crack CSS. I've done some research on this, but learned that I need to have dvd, dvdread and dvdnav flags turned on a compilation time. It was already there. Also, I've attempted to re-emerge libdvdcss, libdvdread and libdvdnav, the problem persists. Have you tried playing a commercial DVD movie on your Gentoo on the PS3?

Just an FYI asong26, what you are discussing here is illegal. Anyone that says "Yes, I've played commercial DVD's" would be admitting to breaking the law. Generally, discussion of libdvdcss is frowned upon for that reason.

I would suggest using the Sony OS for playing DVD's. I've found the interface to be nicer than anything Linux has to offer and it's legal.
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought playing DVDs on linux was legal? I thought this issue was settled. If it's so illegal, then why is portage allowing everyone to download libdvdcss? What's wrong with playing the DVD that I bought?

Why not use PS3 GameOS? Because there is no software scaling, and it looks horrible on my HDTV. I am not asking how to copy the DVDs on linux, but just want to play it if I choose to. What's wrong with that?
jakep_82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asong26 wrote:
I thought playing DVDs on linux was legal? I thought this issue was settled. If it's so illegal, then why is portage allowing everyone to download libdvdcss? What's wrong with playing the DVD that I bought?

Why not use PS3 GameOS? Because there is no software scaling, and it looks horrible on my HDTV. I am not asking how to copy the DVDs on linux, but just want to play it if I choose to. What's wrong with that?

I don't disagree with you. It's just plain stupid, but that doesn't change the fact that it's illegal. Will you ever be prosecuted? No. But on pretty much every Linux board I've been on, discussion of libdvdcss is taboo. I've seen many people scolded by moderators. What you do is none of my business. I'm just saying I won't answer the question, and I'm sure a lot of others won't either.

As for the video quality, I've not had that problem. I have a 46" 720p TV and DVD's played in the Sony OS look superb, even at 480p resolution. I would say the picture looks just as good as it did when I used Myth to play back upscaled video (using my dedicated mythbox, not the PS3). Perhaps an upscaling DVD player would look better, but I'm happy.
clintar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub_zero wrote:
for mplayer I use
Code:
mplayer -fs -vo x11 -zoom -sws 0 %s
in mythtv, and it works fine speed-wise. My only problem is that it messes up the aspect-ratio for some reason. I can only run it on 480i, and with different settings in mplayer I either get: Video the full height of the screen but not the full width, video the full size of the screen but with green vertical bars, or video bigger than the screen(Which for some reason doesn't take up the full screen of the television).

You can use the --monitoraspect option passing --monitoraspect 16:9 or adding monitoraspect=16:9 to a line in ~/.mplayer/config to fix that, which sucks if you go into and out of different resolutions constantly and you have to change that. I don't see why mplayer can't figure out what my monitor aspect is.
boachan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you repeating?
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you create your own stage 4 tar ball?

I found this file here: ftp://blinkeye.ch/gentoo/mkstage4.sh

The problem is, the script parameters on many points are not compatible with the official stage 4 releases (files and directory structures...)

Here's what I would like to do:

I would like to have a tar ball available on my USB drive with all of the modifications that are already made to files such as make.conf, fstab, including the samba installation as default. In case I have re-setup linux, it would be so much to have a restore point without having to go through all of the config file mods that I usually end up having to do... Any suggestions?
jathan_nj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance on getting this kernel patch into the LiveCD?

http://www.keshi.org/moin/moin.cgi/PS3/GO7007

I have that capture device and would love to give it a try with my ps3.

Thanks

Jim
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger,

Thanks for the new Stage4 release today. Downloading now.

I would still like to understand how to set make.conf CFLAGS. There are just way too many versions out there on the net. What settings are you running when you're compiling?
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asong26 wrote:
How do you create your own stage 4 tar ball?

The simplist way on the PS3 after making an install you want a stage4 of is:

Boot into kboot, and type sh to enter bash.
Make sure that the partition that you want to create the tarball is mounted.
Mount some additional storage, if you have done an normal install without xorg you only need about 300MiB, so just insert a USB stick and mount it.
cd into the install partion and type:
Code:

tar cjpvf /mnt/myusbstick/mystage4.tar.bz2 .

Change the path above to whatever you are using:)

If you have problems in kboot, simply do as above but boot on a livecd.
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tokka.

Just want to clarify couple of things. But first, here are my mount points using liveCD

/dev/sda1 --- /mnt/gentoo
/dev/sdf1 --- /mnt/usb

name of the tar file to be created=== mystage4.tar.bz2

After the mounts are done and verified, is the the correct step?

cd /mnt/gentoo
tar -cjpvf /mnt/usb/mystage4.tar.bz2 .

Also, what's the follow up steps for restoring the partition with mystage4.tar.bz2? Do I still have to through the install steps as defined in Gentoo Wiki like mount -p /proc, etc.., and e2label steps? Or, can I just reboot and assume everything will work as it did before the archive was made?
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asong26 wrote:

After the mounts are done and verified, is the the correct step?

cd /mnt/gentoo
tar -cjpvf /mnt/usb/mystage4.tar.bz2 .

Yup, that looks correct.
I remember doing a lot of swearing about the settings for busybox when it was compiled for kboot, I just can't remember what was affected - I think it was tar so you may need to do that with a livecd.

asong26 wrote:

Also, what's the follow up steps for restoring the partition with mystage4.tar.bz2? Do I still have to through the install steps as defined in Gentoo Wiki like mount -p /proc, etc.., and e2label steps?

I assume that you want to completely overwrite your current install and replace it with an earlier working version? I would just reformat the partion with mkfs.ext3, mount it, cd into it, and then use tar jxvpf /mnt/usb/mystage4.tar.bz2 - at that point if you need to make changes or install new software, then you would need to go through the normal steps in the manual for getting to chroot, but if not, a reboot should see you back in business.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: