Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anunakin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:
ftp://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/releases/ppc/2008.0/stages/stage3-970-32ul-2008.0.tar.bz2

I making a stage4 with gcc 4.3.2-r3 and with cell CFLAGS...
Sony PS2 50001, with PS2Linux, HDD 80GB
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexonn wrote:
My ps3 recently gave up on me and I got a replacement, and I was wondering re-installing Gentoo but maybe using a new stage

So, just using something from 2008.0, for example, would be okay?
ftp://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/releases/ppc/2008.0/stages/

Also, I'd still use the 20071212 minimal livecd right?

I've recently got my first PS3 :D

So naturally first thing I want to do is install gentoo.

Partitioned off 10Gb to do this and have been reading through this thread, although a lot of it seems quite dated. I've also been had a good read through of the documentation at here.

I'm no n00b to Gentoo and have run it on a desktop and laptop (Dell Latitude X300) for six years, and have also had fun getting my NSLU2 to run Gentoo (an embedded NAS), so I know my way around gentoo. I do however have a few sanity check questions as I've a morbid fear of bricking the PS3 and incurring my wife's wrath!

So, my current plan is to....

• Grab me a USB keyboard and mouse (probably the one I mentioned here).
  • I've downloaded the kernel stuff from kboot-20080609.bld (running a recent firmware so I don't need the otheros.self file right????)
  • Bung kboot-20080609.bld onto a USB drive.
  • Partition off 10Gb of the PS3 hard-drive (done)
  • Plug in the USB drive with kboot-20080609.bld in the sub-folder PS3/otheros
  • Under PS3 OS go to Settings --> Install Other OS
  • Select the (hopefully detected) kboot-20080609.bld
  • Reboot
  • Install from the most recent Minimal Install CD (is that installcd-ps3-minimal-20071212-r1.iso following this and the Gentoo Handbook.
  • Use the recent stage3 builds (from stage3-970-32ul-2008.0.tar.bz2

I'm thinking 32ul as it will give me more toys to play with.

If anyone knows of more recent kernel/stages/install CD's or if I've missed anything glaringly obvious out feel free to tell me I'm an idiot.

Another question I have is whether wireless is supported in the above kernel and will it work "out of the box"?

I'm sure I've more questions, but can't remember them. Will leave it at that for the time being.

Thanks to all those who've put the hard work into getting Gentoo working on the PS3(/PPC).

slack

Fixed the first link to ps3wiki.qj.net, malformed tags. -- desultory
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:
Another question I have is whether wireless is supported in the above kernel and will it work "out of the box"?

No, and not in my experience.

The livecd is the 2.6.23 kernel. Might be 2.6.24. Wireless was added to the kernel in 2.6.27.

Copying a recent kernel, wireless tools and wpa supplicant (if needed) to your USB should be enough to get it running. Wired will save you the headache though.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonlacon wrote:
slack---line wrote:

No, and not in my experience.

The livecd is the 2.6.23 kernel. Might be 2.6.24. Wireless was added to the kernel in 2.6.27.

Copying a recent kernel, wireless tools and wpa supplicant (if needed) to your USB should be enough to get it running. Wired will save you the headache though.

8O Good info there, any pointers on where a recent kernel might be obtained, can't see anything in the last page or so of this thread.
AbyssalOni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know about migrating from kboot which is now deprecated according to http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-kboot.legacy/README to petitboot?
AbyssalOni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the migration myself, very easy.

First download the latest RC of petitboot: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-petitboot/ps3-petitboot-rc-08.06.27.bld

On a USB drive create the folder structure <usbdisk>:PS3/otheros

Rename ps3-petitboot-rc-08.06.27.bld to otheros.bld and put it in <usbdisk>:PS3/otheros/otheros.bld

Boot into the PS3 game os (ps3-boot-game-os at kboot prompt). Once in the PS3 game os insert your USB drive and go to install other os. It will find the file and install it. Reboot into linux and you will see your nice new fancy bootloader. petitboot will look for any installations already exsisting and create the proper entries.

ENJOY!
myon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Problem during install Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've got a problem during my install of Gentoo on PS3.

First, this is what I've done:
- I've installed Petitboot downloaded from http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/petitboot/
- Following this install guide http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3 , I've downloaded the Gentoo install CD from http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/ppc64/livecd/
- The image has been successfully checked and has been burnt at low speed (2x)

- Tried the same with official Gentoo install-powerpc-minimal-2008.0.iso and install-powerpc-universal-2008.0.iso and got the same problem...

Problem:
Petitboot starts, I select boot on the CD, it starts to boot and get stuck.
After about 45 minutes, still stuck on the Petitboot screen...

Does anyone know what's the problem?
Is there some incompatibility between the releases of Petitboot and Livecd that I've downloaded?

Thanks for helping!
Christian
Motoi-Sakuraba-Milfeuille
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, how's the state of Linux on PS3? Would you guys say it is a suitable replacement for a PC? I only ask because there seems to be only X framebuffer support, but it seems the Cell is fast enough to run emulators on it nevertheless. How's desktop performance - responsive, sluggish, especially when running at 1920x1080? Is video playback practical? This is just a guess, but mencoder doesn't use the SPEs yet, does it?
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem during install Reply with quote

myon wrote:
Hi all,

I've got a problem during my install of Gentoo on PS3.

First, this is what I've done:
- I've installed Petitboot downloaded from http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/petitboot/
- Following this install guide http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3 , I've downloaded the Gentoo install CD from http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/ppc64/livecd/
- The image has been successfully checked and has been burnt at low speed (2x)

- Tried the same with official Gentoo install-powerpc-minimal-2008.0.iso and install-powerpc-universal-2008.0.iso and got the same problem...

Problem:
Petitboot starts, I select boot on the CD, it starts to boot and get stuck.
After about 45 minutes, still stuck on the Petitboot screen...

Does anyone know what's the problem?
Is there some incompatibility between the releases of Petitboot and Livecd that I've downloaded?

Thanks for helping!
Christian

Same problem here using both petitboot from 09-05-28 and 09-05-19(under testing) and the 24th May 2009 minimal install CD.

Anyone sucessfully installed on a PS3 recently? What combination of petitboot/install CD worked for you?
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recent petitboots are development releases.

kboot still works. http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-kboot.legacy/
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonlacon wrote:

kboot still works. http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-kboot.legacy/

Cool, will try that out.

AbyssalOni reports one of the rc's working above so might try the experimental version (as opposed to testing). If not I'll try installing under kboot.

What version of the install CD have you used in the past?
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The experimental livecd rangerpb made. I think it was the minimal one. I haven't looked to see if newer media will boot on it.

http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/ppc64/livecd/
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:
antonlacon wrote:

Cool, will try that out.

AbyssalOni reports one of the rc's working above so might try the experimental version (as opposed to testing). If not I'll try installing under kboot.

What version of the install CD have you used in the past?

Okay, seems that the ps3-petitboot-experimental-08.08.15.bld works fine, but the only minimal install CD I've been able to get working is the installcd-ps3-minimal-20071212-r1.iso, so starting with that and a stage4-970-ps3_32ul.tar.bz2.

I'm wondering though....

antonlacon wrote:

Does anyone have a recent (i.e. > 2.6.27) kernel .config to share please?

slack
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:
Okay, seems that the ps3-petitboot-experimental-08.08.15.bld works fine, but the only minimal install CD I've been able to get working is the installcd-ps3-minimal-20071212-r1.iso, so starting with that and a stage4-970-ps3_32ul.tar.bz2

I strongly suggest using another stage, such as one of the current automated builds. It will save more than a little time compiling. I had some other issues with it as well, but I'm not sure if it was user error or not. I just know they haven't repeated with the standard stages.
myon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Megabox Reply with quote

I've found a very easy solution: just install Megabox (http://www.megalandia.com). It's based on Gentoo and allready configured as a pretty media center for PS3. Just perfect!
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonlacon wrote:
slack---line wrote:
Okay, seems that the ps3-petitboot-experimental-08.08.15.bld works fine, but the only minimal install CD I've been able to get working is the installcd-ps3-minimal-20071212-r1.iso, so starting with that and a stage4-970-ps3_32ul.tar.bz2

I strongly suggest using another stage, such as one of the current automated builds. It will save more than a little time compiling. I had some other issues with it as well, but I'm not sure if it was user error or not. I just know they haven't repeated with the standard stages.

Ahh okay, will see if I can get your newer kernel configs working (you posted links above to recent kernel configs, and I'd completely forgotten about them), and restart from a chroot'd env.

One very quick question, the 2.6.28 kernel config you pointed me to has the CONFIG_NR_CPUS=2.

I was under the impression that the PS3 has eight cores, can this setting be upped or does the 2 refer to PPE core and one SPE core (which has eight units)?

@myon : that looks interesting, but my spanish isn't upto speed (i.e. its non-existent) and I would prefer to have gentoo installed rather than learning the intricacies of yet another Linux distro!
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post newer configs later and my ps3 patchset.

There are two general purpose threads. 1 from the PPE core and 1 from its hyperthreading.

The SPE isn't included in the core count. It has 6 cores available (8 total, 1 disabled in factory, 1 used by the hypervisor).
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonlacon wrote:
I'll post newer configs later and my ps3 patchset.

There are two general purpose threads. 1 from the PPE core and 1 from its hyperthreading.

The SPE isn't included in the core count. It has 6 cores available (8 total, 1 disabled in factory, 1 used by the hypervisor).

Great, thanks, justing going to wipe the stage4 I've installed and use the automated default build with your kernel (hopefully it has wireless built in, will copy source over for wireless tools).

Cheers

slack
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question, I noticed there aren't any initrd images on your page, but I presume they are required because they are referenced in /etc/kboot.conf?

Having a go at using your 2.6.28 kernel .conf on the 2.6.29-r5, but having run 'make oldconfig' and then trying to compile with 'make && make modules_install' I get an error message....

Code:

kernel/bounds.c:1: error: -n64 not supported in this configuration

Going to try an older version.

EDIT :

Which failed with the same error. Leaving this for tonight.

Cheers

slack
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't use initrd. My kboot doesn't reference initrd at all.

Yes, the configs & kernels include wireless. (CONFIG_GELIC_WIRELESS=y)

Gentoo-2.6.29-r5 config & kernel are in my webspace. See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4048803.html#4048803 for building the 64 bit kernel from the 32bit userland.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonlacon wrote:
No, I don't use initrd. My kboot doesn't reference initrd at all.

Yes, the configs & kernels include wireless. (CONFIG_GELIC_WIRELESS=y)

Gentoo-2.6.29-r5 config & kernel are in my webspace.

Great, cheers for that, had a quick stab at compiling this morning before coming to work, but upon rebooting just had a black screen so switched back to install CD and chroot'd in to leave it compiling Xfce4 and all its dependencies.

I noticed there are a few things built as modules, so dropping your kernel in and trying that would result in some missing functionality? Is there any particular reason for having some things compiled as modules (i.e. they have to be modules as they don't work when compiled into the kernel as opposed to be compiled as modules as they're not always needed)?

Might try compiling everything into the kernel.

antonlacon wrote:

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4048803.html#4048803 for building the 64 bit kernel from the 32bit userland.

^^^ That has likely saved me a good few hours of reading this thread, added as an alias to /root/.bashrc for subsequent use.

Thanks for your help with this anton, very much appreciated (documenting what I'm doing here for anyone else who's interested).

slack
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:
Great, cheers for that, had a quick stab at compiling this morning before coming to work, but upon rebooting just had a black screen so switched back to install CD and chroot'd in to leave it compiling Xfce4 and all its dependencies.

I noticed there are a few things built as modules, so dropping your kernel in and trying that would result in some missing functionality? Is there any particular reason for having some things compiled as modules (i.e. they have to be modules as they don't work when compiled into the kernel as opposed to be compiled as modules as they're not always needed)?

Might try compiling everything into the kernel.

Only part that I know that must be a module is PS3VRAM because of a quick hack. It needed something up and running before it started and the developer decided to force being a module as the module loading occurred after it. Should be fixed in a later kernel.

Past that, the modules are probably just leftover from the ps3_defconfig I started with.

Modules are uploaded too.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the modules too. Have been emerging a ton of stuff under chroot as I've not had time to sit down and wrangle through the kernel problem. Have an evening in this evening (raining so no climbing for me!) so will be having another look this evening, so might try shifting the modules to the kernel.

I'll likely be including V4L-DVB drivers at some point in the near future (after I purchase the PlayTV hardware.

Cheers again,

slack
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerpb wrote:

3. Inside your /usr/src/linux is a Makefile. Edit that and look for the CROSS_COMPILE variable, change it appear as :

CROSS_COMPILE ?= powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu-

you will likely need to make mrproper to get all the bad stuff you compiled with the wrong compiler in there. make mrproper deletes your config too, back it up first.

Found this as an additional alternative to the above 64bit kernel/32bit userland issue, although my guess is that setting it as an alias is more "robust" as it will be presistent across kernels.

I had a go at sorting the kernel out last night but didn't get very far.

I suspect its because I neglected to set the '/' partition as bootable when fdisking :oops:

I only realised this after several attempts compiling my own 2.6.29-r5 and trying your kernel & modules antonlacon :oops: :oops:

On question I have though is that the overlay Install guide indicates (at the very bottom) that the cell overlay should be used as it has patched ps3-sources.

Annoyingly layman listed cell as an available overlay, but when I 'layman -a cell' it refused to install (so I ended up manually checking out the svn and copying it to the right place). Anyway, the kernel in there is sys-kernel/ps3-sources-2.6.24 along with a load of patches. In the main portage tree the most recent sources are sys-kernel/cell-sources-2.6.24-r1 but no patches.

Which sources are you using and are you simply copying the ebuild and patches from sys-kernel/ps3-sources-2.6.24 and renaming in a local overlay?

Hopefully now I've set the root partition to bootable things will work (was too tired last night to stay up any longer trying!)

Thanks in anticipation of your help,

slack
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got things up and running after making partition bootable and copying kernel & modules from installcd.

Will work on 2.6.29-r5 kernel now :D

Cheers for your help antonlacon.

slack
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: