Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny99 wrote:
Is there a way to recover?

Do you get the kboot prompt? If so, I think you can use 'sh' to get to the shell, mount the disk, and edit the file.
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchman wrote:
johnny99 wrote:

Do you get the kboot prompt? If so, just go into the shell, mount the disk, and edit the file.

I never get the kboot prompt back.
The error repetes over and over.
It would be nice if there was a way to send a break.
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jathan_nj wrote:

I think you might be underestimating the number of people that have purchased the PS3 for non-gaming use only, i.e. linux and BluRay. The hardware alone warrants the purchase price of $500. It's really hard to put together a HTPC outputting on HDMI for that price... And yea, if you wanted to, you could actually boot back to the game OS and play a game...

It would be nice, and who knows, there is a lot of talk of the Firmware getting a major bump at the time of the Euro launch, so hopefully the hard disk formatting will become a tad more sophisticated.

My home av system revolves around MythTV, and I'm looking forward to it running on the PS3, but I have a feeling that market is going to be dominated by FC based distributions dedicated to running MythTV on the PS3.

I get the feeling a lot of the people excited about MythTV/PS3 haven't used it much, there is a lot of talk about how it can be used as a front end to emu's, video playing, telephony etc - yes it can do all of those, but it doesn't do them very well... Or at least as well as the dedicated software.

OK, I've had an idea on what I'm personally going to do next - I'm not too thrilled at the idea of spending the next few days recompiling gnome, so what I'm going to do is unpack my gnome tarball onto a usb HD, and then I'm going to turn the entire thing into quickpkgs.

What that means is that if someone has my new base gentoo install with the toolchain(or a stage3 they built themselves), all they need to do to install gnome is to point their machine at my website, set off a binary gnome install, and go make a cup of tea - should be no slower than a network based install on any other system that uses binary packages.
:roll:
dutchman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny99 wrote:
dutchman wrote:
johnny99 wrote:

Do you get the kboot prompt? If so, just go into the shell, mount the disk, and edit the file.

The error repeats over and over.

Ok, maybe if you replace the HD with another sata disk, reformat it and let it get to plain kboot prompt. At that point, hot swap the hard disk and try mounting the original disk? Hopefully that hypervisor works good and this doesn't brick the machine somehow..

-d
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchman wrote:
johnny99 wrote:
dutchman wrote:
johnny99 wrote:

Ok, maybe if you replace the HD with another sata disk, reformat it and let it get to plain kboot prompt. At that point, hot swap the hard disk and try mounting the original disk? Hopefully that hypervisor works good and this doesn't brick the machine somehow..

-d

I would like to recover without voiding the warranty.
Is there any other recovery options for an error in the kboot.conf?
I would love to see more help on the kboot used by PS3.
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: join us on irc Reply with quote

Come join us on #gentoo-ppc64 on irc.freenode.net and we can see about helping you out.
Enclavet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny99 wrote:
dutchman wrote:
johnny99 wrote:
dutchman wrote:
johnny99 wrote:

-d

I would like to recover without voiding the warranty.
Is there any other recovery options for an error in the kboot.conf?
I would love to see more help on the kboot used by PS3.

You can swap the hard drive without voiding the warranty. There are instructions in the manual on how to do the swap which does not require you to open the machine up.
Shai Hulud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokka wrote:

People on IRC are talking about maybe e17 instead of gnome, but I'm not too sure if that is any slimmer. I'm not too sure why people need a full blown desktop manager install on a PS3 at the moment - do you really want to use firefox on your TV? Read your email?

How about xfce? Slimmer than latest gnome isn't it? I wonder if slimmer than e17?

Soon, there may be much more demand for full desktop on PS3.
There's quite a few people running distributed computing projects, especially BOINC related, that potentially could want a full desktop mgr. if they are able to port their project to PS3. The number of BOINC users is almost 900,000 w/ 1.6M host computers.
There are a few PS3s now running BOINC and Seti@Home, albiet very slowly, not optimized, and not exploiting the SPEs at the moment. A few coders are starting to look at the challenge and there are many people "waiting in the wings" to see an optimized BOINC client and S@H application produced and an easy PS3 OS dist install process. As soon a someone sorts out seti's FFT processing using the SPEs & shows they have S@H crunching stupid-fast on a PS3, with full BOINC functionality, GUI, & desktop....there likely will be huge demand within that community. PS3 may appeal to many other BOINC projects as well.

In the past 6 months alone, there have been over 30K downloads of just one group's "optimized" S&H applications for Windows and Linux.
News travels quickly when there's a new "fastest set-up".
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, lets try something different:)

If you have built Gentoo for your PS3, or installed my base stage4 tarball, you are then faced by the pretty major task of installing a window manager - limited memory means even with distcc compiling major applications on the PS3 is a chore.
As the PS3 has fixed hardware, there is really no great need to compile everything from source, the way round is a GRP (see http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=3#doc_chap4 for details).

So what I have done short term until the official GRP is off and running, is to create quickpkg's of my entire main install and have stuck them online, if you are using the same CFLAGS as me there is no reason why this shouldn't work well.

My CHOST/CFLAGS (from www.gentoo-wiki.com):

CHOST="powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=G5 -O2 -pipe -maltivec -mabi=altivec -fno-strict-aliasing"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"

To use my repro edit your /etc/make.conf and add:

Code:

PORTAGE_BINHOST="http://www.daniel.jp/ps3-packages/"

Example:
To install xorg-x11
Code:

# emerge --usepkg --getbinpkg xorg-x11

And hold on to your trousers - the speed is impressive:)

The gnome build is 2.14, and you will need to set USE as in the gentoo Gnome tutoral. I think Gnome 2.16 is getting near close to stable on PPC64, and we should have a stable firefox soon too:)
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokka wrote:
As the PS3 has fixed hardware, there is really no great need to compile everything from source

I would agree with that only if programs didn't have optional dependencies based on what extra features or plugins you wish to have installed, and which ones you want to not be installed....
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bertaboy wrote:
tokka wrote:
As the PS3 has fixed hardware, there is really no great need to compile everything from source

I would agree with that only if programs didn't have optional dependencies based on what extra features or plugins you wish to have installed, and which ones you want to not be installed....

Absolutely:)

Bar VLC, there was nothing wierd installed (and actually people would be better off installing the new version).

My settings when building those packages was:

/etc/make.conf
Code:

USE="altivec nptl nptlonly -arts -kde gtk gnome hal avahi xvid"

/etc/portage/package.keywords
Code:

gnome-base/gnome
www-client/epiphany
www-client/seamonkey
gnome-extra/yelp
media-video/totem
sys-kernel/cell-sources
media-video/vlc
sys-devel/gcc -*
sys-libs/newlib
app-portage/layman

# needed for lu_zero overlay
sys-devel/gcc-cell
sys-devel/binutils
sys-devel/patch
app-misc/spe-samples
sys-libs/libspe
sys-libs/libspe2
app-misc/ps3pf_utils

cross-spu-elf/binutils * ~* -*
cross-spu-elf/gcc * ~* -*
cross-spu-elf/newlib ppc64 ~ppc64
cross-spu-elf/gdb ppc64 ~ppc64

/etc/portage/package.use
Code:

x11-libs/cairo pdf
net-dns/avahi dbus
media-video/vlc fbcon wxwindows ffmpeg
dev-util/subversion -apache2

Add these to your settings and it _should_ be pretty smooth...

If someone wants to build the toolchain, using the packages for the basic setup would mean a shiny new toolchain in 30 minutes rather than 8 hours 8O
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the bits we are missing, now sorted:

http://www.daniel.jp/mtb-data/Firefox.jpg

mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1

I've also built a package, see the post above for access.
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tokka wrote:
One of the bits we are missing, now sorted:

http://www.daniel.jp/mtb-data/Firefox.jpg

mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1

I've also built a package, see the post above for access.

sweet :-)

are you using binutils 2.16 or 2.17?

EDIT: ah.. just saw your package.keywords file some posts above. you have a special binutils version from lu_zero's overlay..
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corsair wrote:

are you using binutils 2.16 or 2.17?

EDIT: ah.. just saw your package.keywords file some posts above. you have a special binutils version from lu_zero's overlay..

Yup, it seems like a couple of people have used binutils 2.16 to build FireFox2 and have had weirdo dbus problems - so it looks like people should install the lu_zero overlay even if they are not interested in Cell development...

I updated my main install to gnome 2.16 overnight (yay for distcc and multicore amd64 :twisted: ), the updated packages will be on the server by 5pm GMT.
lu_zero
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the binutils (as well the gcc stuff) now is in the main portage (the LATEST masked versions).

=)
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got more posts than lu_zero - and I'm still a noob?

OK, all my packages are updated in time for xmas PS3 fun.

New is Gnome 2.16, VLC 0.8.6, and about 30+ dependency packages have been updates - 112 in all

Enjoy
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Need tester with high resolution TV Reply with quote

Would someone with a hi-res TV and a PS3 please join us at #gentoo-ppc64 on irc.freenode.net ? We need someone to perform a quick test. Your help is greatly appreciated.

-ranger
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: PS3 LiveCD in beta Reply with quote

Folks,

Check out -> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/ppc64/ps3/

Provide feedback in irc or at worst in a forum post (seperate from this) in the PPC forum. Do not write bugzilla posts please.
inindo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tokka,

I'm trying to intstall your binary xorg package. Unfortunately it gets all the way to xorg-server-1.1.1-r1 before giving me the following error. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. =)

>>> Extracting xorg-server-1.1.1-r1
tar: ./usr/share/X11/xkb/compiled/README.compiled: Cannot open: Not a directory
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
!!! Error Extracting /usr/portage/packages/All/xorg-server-1.1.1-r1.rbz2
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inindo wrote:
Hey Tokka,

I'm trying to intstall your binary xorg package. Unfortunately it gets all the way to xorg-server-1.1.1-r1 before giving me the following error. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. =)

>>> Extracting xorg-server-1.1.1-r1
tar: ./usr/share/X11/xkb/compiled/README.compiled: Cannot open: Not a directory
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
!!! Error Extracting /usr/portage/packages/All/xorg-server-1.1.1-r1.rbz2

That file seems to decompress fine here when I download it - maybe you should try deleting the copy you have and redownloading it...
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Safe mode otheros image Reply with quote

Folks,

I have been able to build a safe mode otheros image. This image will not read kboot.conf files from the media attached to the PS3, like the harddrive, etc. This is useful if you dork up the conf file as an earlierer poster described. You can get yourself stuck in an catastrophic loop if you mess your quoting up in the file.

I'm planning to add this to the livecd in near term. The idea would be that if you dorked up your conf file, you could load this otheros file, it would boot, you could drop to shell, mount the hd (or other medium) and fix it. Or load the livecd and fix it.

I also plan on delivering an livecd otheros image, which you load in and it will automatically boot only the livecd.

Are people interested in this sort of stuff?
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of updates to my packages:

xmame-0.106.tbz2
xmess-0.106.tbz2

My /etc/portage/package.use:
Code:

games-emulation/xmame -opengl -sdl -xv
games-emulation/xmess -opengl -sdl -xv

If you decide to try to compile xmame yourself on the PS3, do not do it locally, use distcc - you have been warned:)
PEETIE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:14 am Post subject: Need tester with high resolution TV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would someone with a hi-res TV and a PS3 please join us at #gentoo-ppc64 on irc.freenode.net ? We need someone to perform a quick test. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Did you find anyone? I have both a ps3 and a high res t.v., but right now I have YDL installed on it.
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Tested on hi-res Reply with quote

Yeah, we found someone who has one. Thanks
awx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Safe mode otheros image Reply with quote

rangerpb wrote:
I also plan on delivering an livecd otheros image, which you load in and it will automatically boot only the livecd.

Are people interested in this sort of stuff?

Yes, very much so. I just bought my PS3 tonight and at this point have neither a TV nor HDCP-enabled monitor so it's slow going :cry: .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 7 of 21

Jump to: