View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevintshaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATT wrote:
ETA on semiautomated /livecd install CD
when will be expecting this mystical creature to make his debut
don't need exact date maybe month could be good.

I'm getting a PS3 few days and i saw a video on http://youtube.com/watch?v=VPP2eVcsu2w looks nice and speedy i was wondering i may try to follow the wiki gentoo ps3 how-to my question is:
KDE installed separate or does the ISO included it meaning do you get dropped on KDE desktop after your done with the install, kde and gnone are mention on last few lines of code on first page so my guess is yes ?
Because on the (2nd page Gentoo - The next step) is where they throw in portage/emerge and gnone and kde appear again little confuse

I'm also wondering if emerge/Portage are available in nice GUI or is it only via terminal.

thanx 8)

ATT - I don't think kde is included on the stage 4. It comes with fluxbox installed though. Those lines are just for setting the default window manager. After you emerge kde you could comment out the fluxbox line and uncomment the startkde line.

Also, I think there are portage GUIs out there. Maybe start here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-502350-highlight-portage+gui.html
hans030390
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans030390 wrote:
I'm having a problem booting into Gentoo. I've lightly used Gentoo/Ubuntu before, but I've only installed it from live cds (which are really easy).

This is the guide I followed (and I followed it exactly!): http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/Gentoo_Howto

I did everything it said, but now when it tries to boot into Gentoo, the first thing it says is:

/init: eval: 1: Gentoo: not found

Like I said, I followed the above guide EXACTLY, especially so that my kboot.conf and fstab were just like in the guide (aside from things next to #).

What do I need to do?

Ok, well I somehow managed to fix my problem...but now it boots up into XDM...and I wanted it to boot into GNOME or something usable. I didn't realize that the instructions I followed didn't have that.

So how would I get Gnome installed on it?
kevintshaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans030390 wrote:
hans030390 wrote:
I'm having a problem booting into Gentoo. I've lightly used Gentoo/Ubuntu before, but I've only installed it from live cds (which are really easy).

This is the guide I followed (and I followed it exactly!): http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/Gentoo_Howto

I did everything it said, but now when it tries to boot into Gentoo, the first thing it says is:

/init: eval: 1: Gentoo: not found

Like I said, I followed the above guide EXACTLY, especially so that my kboot.conf and fstab were just like in the guide (aside from things next to #).

What do I need to do?

Ok, well I somehow managed to fix my problem...but now it boots up into XDM...and I wanted it to boot into GNOME or something usable. I didn't realize that the instructions I followed didn't have that.

So how would I get Gnome installed on it?

Code:
emerge gnome

then

Code:
echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Sony released any information about allowing access to the GPU?
ATT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i was researching my TV looks like I'm going to have overscan on sony Kds-a502000
is there a way to shoot a 1080p frame but only have a 1824x1016 image
anunakin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone, post qemu pre-compiled?
Sony PS2 50001, with PS2Linux, HDD 80GB
hans030390
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently compiling Gnome on my PS3...but I'm not sure if I'll want to keep it.

I've never really used anything but Gnome, so I don't know if there is something "better" out there.

The only other ones I can think of are KDE and e17. What kind of differences would I get out of those? Is either of them easier to use than Gnome? Does anyone in particular look the best, or run the best?

I don't want to limit myself to Gnome without the possibility of there being something better (especially for PS3/Gentoo). Any thoughts?
Calandra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for knowing..how fast is PS3 on building packages?

Thank you

Luca
hans030390
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Gnome up and running. The log in screen is still ugly (the local host XDM login thing), but other than that its fine. How can I make the login screen "prettier" (like seen on the live cd).

Also, what are some good programs I should get? I'm getting GIMP, VLC media player, and Open Office.

What else should I get? I was thinking about some emulators and such. Any good ideas? I only have a couple days of having my PS3 hooked up to the internet, and then I'll have to run it offline...so I need to get everything I can soon.

Update: I emerged/compiled snes9x, and I have no idea how to run it...It didn't show up in the applications thing...and I tried running it through the command, but I couldn't get anything to work. Haven't used gentoo in a while, so I'm lost.
ATT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having problems already :( I'm following the wiki guide Linux OS got 10GB +10000M
mkswap /dev/sda2
/init: eval: 1: mkswap: not found

now while going through the guide i see somethings are not the same well up to the part where i got stuck

i got the 60GB v maybe that's why
for example:

Quote:

Partitioning Disks section
Partition number (1-4): 2
First cylinder (8585-10239, default 8585): Press Enter
Using default value 8585

mine has First cylinder 9539-10239
default value 9539

anyways

when i enter W to save/write the partition table i see 2 partitions
sda1 (what will become "root") and sda2 linux swap/Solaris
well the point i see both
then i reboot

Formatting root filesystem and swap+ etc section
mkfs.ext3 -j /dev/sda1
works but what i see here
the guide reports nke2fs 1.3x (29 May-2006) ===== i get 1.38 30 june 2005 :roll:
on to the issue
when i enter mkswap /dev/sda2 tells me
/init: eval: 1: mkswap: not found

anyone know what's going on maybe i used some old otheros.bld ? i got it from http://dl.qj.net/otheros.bld-for-Gentoo-Linux-PlayStation-3/pg/12/fid/12187/catid/514

well check back later hope you guys can help me
g2g cooking hen soup :wink:
kevintshaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calandra wrote:
Just for knowing..how fast is PS3 on building packages?

Thank you

Luca

Slow....Really Slow. However, I think there are some pre-compiled packages available to save you some time.
kevintshaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans030390 wrote:
I'm currently compiling Gnome on my PS3...but I'm not sure if I'll want to keep it.

I've never really used anything but Gnome, so I don't know if there is something "better" out there.

The only other ones I can think of are KDE and e17. What kind of differences would I get out of those? Is either of them easier to use than Gnome? Does anyone in particular look the best, or run the best?

I don't want to limit myself to Gnome without the possibility of there being something better (especially for PS3/Gentoo). Any thoughts?

KDE and Gnome will be similar. You just have to try them out and choose. Google search gnome vs. kde and you'll get enough info to keep you busy for days.

e17 is a little different. It's not a full-blown desktop with all of the bloat included in KDE and Gnome. I like using it on the PS3. It's designed for machines with limited resources (like a PS3 with 128MB RAM). It can be a little frustrating though until you get used to it. Fluxbox would be a similar option.

Here's a good e17 review: http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/99-Enlightenment-17-Review.html
kevintshaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans030390 wrote:
What else should I get? I was thinking about some emulators and such. Any good ideas?.

I've used these emulators on the PS3: fceultra, snes9express, and xmame (with gxmame frontend). Stella should work too.

I didn't think there was a zsnes version for ppc.

Check this for some more options: http://gentoo-portage.com/games-emulation
hans030390
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to emerge snes9express, but it gave me some masked problem. I eventually got around it, but I still have no idea how to run it. I read somewhere that to run snes9x you just type snes9x /wherever/your/rom/is, but it said it didn't know the command or anything.

I've been getting everything else just fine, but I just can't figure snes9express out (and I've read all the guides and stuff).

Any help with that?
hans030390
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how do I get sound working? It's running through the composite/RCA cables, and I have no idea how to get it working.
kevintshaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, after you emerge snes9express, the program is stored in /usr/games/bin

Code:
/usr/games/bin/snes9express
will launch the gui or
Code:
/usr/games/bin/snes9x /path/to/rom
will launch a specific game without the frontend

For sound, make sure alsa-utils is installed
Code:
emerge --search alsa-utils
If so check the mixer
Code:
alsamixer
and make sure the soundcard is un-muted. That's usually the problem.
ATT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like i figure out what's going on my CD is not been detected looks like BR drive don't like my burns
all this time i figure Kboot: prompt was livecd prompt and it just look different :(.

well i try again when i get better Media.
hans030390
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevintshaver wrote:
Yeah, after you emerge snes9express, the program is stored in /usr/games/bin

Code:
/usr/games/bin/snes9express
will launch the gui or
Code:
/usr/games/bin/snes9x /path/to/rom
will launch a specific game without the frontend

Code:
If so check the mixer
Code:
alsamixer

Alright, thanks! I'll try it out later today and see how it goes. Is there any way to add the snes9express to, say the application bar at the top? That'd save me a lot of time.

Different question: Is there any sort of app for creating music that is similar to FruityLoops?
hans030390
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevintshaver wrote:
Code:
If so check the mixer
Code:
alsamixer

I followed what you said, and I checked the mixer. I can't tell if the soundcard is muted or not. From the main screen, it has a few bits of info on the left side and one volume bar in the middle.

I'm still getting no sound...
kevintshaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's muted the bar will have MM below it. Move your arrow keys until it's highlighted, then press "M" to toggle mute off. Then press "ESC" and you're done.
ATT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevintshaver wrote:

Code:
If so check the mixer
Code:
alsamixer

will this also fix KDE sound or just for enulator snes9x
cause KDE sound is very choppy well all i tested was boot/loading music as KDE loads.

another quick question installing other KDE packages.
should i just install using emerge -vG kdeadmin or first do emerge -vpG kdeadmin then emerge -vG kdeadmin like the gento ps3 wiki (when installing kdebase for first time) although i think i should just do emerge -vG kdeadmin correct if it's available in binary ?

and will new apps appear by them self cause i did add emerge -vG kdemultimedia kdeadmin not sure if it added anything was to excited and forgot to check Menu before running emerge :P

thx
hans030390
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevintshaver wrote:
If it's muted the bar will have MM below it. Move your arrow keys until it's highlighted, then press "M" to toggle mute off. Then press "ESC" and you're done.

The only think I can do is change the value of the bar from 100 to 0. I don't see an MM, but I still get no sound. Do I have any settings or configurations wrong, or do I need to change/add things? Here's a link to what I get when I start alsamixer:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/hans030390/alsa.png

I have my sound set for OSS, and I edited some file (dont remember which or where I got the instructions from) to change my soundcard, and I also think I had to add something about OSS. I dont really remember, I dont really know what I'm doing with the sound or how I can get it to work.
kevintshaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATT - The -p following the emerge command is for "pretend". If you use it, you will see a full list of all packages that will be installed and the use flags each will compile with. Also, I've always had problems with sound in kde. I think arts is the main problem.

hans030390 - Your alsamixer screen looks fine. Your card is not muted. The instructions I gave are for using ALSA. ALSA is a replacement for OSS. If you configure everything to use ALSA instead of OSS, I think it should work.
hans030390
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevintshaver wrote:
hans030390 - Your alsamixer screen looks fine. Your card is not muted. The instructions I gave are for using ALSA. ALSA is a replacement for OSS. If you configure everything to use ALSA instead of OSS, I think it should work.

I figured out that it was my TV. It wasn't muted, but the speakers were turned off because I don't use them...go figure.

Are there any good programs like Fruity Loops for Gentoo? Something easy to use that has a lot of different sounds i can use?
sub_zero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what development is actually being done with lu_zero's overlay or on how to compile a kernel for the ps3? The 2.6.21 kernel is supposed to have a lot of upgraded functionality for the ps3 system, it'd be nice to be able to actually use it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 13 of 21

Jump to: