Gentoo 2006 Live CD Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vblank
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 2006 Live CD Problem Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to try out the new Live CD install process, but am having one major problem. The little graphical area loads where it is initializing the mouse and stuff, but when it attempts to go to the next screen the monitor stops recieving a signal. I tried to watch it in verbose mode and did not see any errors, but the last few lines went too quick for me to read. Is it possibly having a problem with my video card? My card is a GeForce 5600 FX, I know in verbose mode it said that it found it and was ok, but the monitor doesn't get a signal and goes into power saving mode. Anyone else getting a similar problem? Thanks.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vblank!

The GLI is quite young and still buggy on some systems, so it seems. :cry:

But you could still try to install Gentoo the oldfashioned way by using the command line. Just follow the handbook for your arch, since it really isn't that hard and you learn quite a bit about Gentoo. As a matter of fact it will make your life easier later on.

:D
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the monitor go blank at the time X starts, or before that when the frame buffer / splash screen kicks in?

If it's X, try pressing Ctrl-Alt-+ (or -) while your monitor is blank and see if that changes anything. (Use the NumBlock to type the +)
This sequence switches through the screen resolutions X knows about. It's likely that X chose a resolution or refresh rate too high for your monitor for some reason.
Once you can see anything, you can try to use the xrandr command line tool to set a better-looking and workting combination of resolution and refresh rate. I am not sure if xrandr is included in the LiveCD X build though so that might not work.

Note that the virtual desktop size will stay at the maximum with the Ctrl-Alt-+ method and only the resolution of the view will change. Don't get confused if the mouse starts scrolling around that Desktop, it's normal.
Using xrandr will bring view and real resolution in sync again.

HTH.
vblank
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Thanks for the response,

It is when X starts, I tried out the ctr-alt-+ and it tries to display it I think. The monitor flickers for a second but doesn't display anything, tried it a couple times. I have actually installed it already the old fashioned way with stage 3, but I was hoping to do a stage 1 and I was told this method made it alot easier because you could set up everything ahead of time and just let it go.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to strt another discussion about this, or to spoil the fun, but stage1 really is pointless.
Much higher probability to run into problems along the way or later, and it doesn't really have any notable advantages above a stage3.

The screen flickering at least means that X is actually working...
Can you switch to a console with Ctrl-Alt-F1?
If so, take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see what frequencies it uses.
You might even try to edit the xorg config file to better values for your monitor, and then switch to the X console again and restart it using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

If that fails you can still go the oldfashioned way.
vblank
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

So even if I am using different optimizations, it doesn't matter what stage I am installing from? I am just doing a little project to benchmark and compare the different CFLAGs, I know it has already done but it is just an 'excercise' i guess.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been discussed to death already so I'll just state my opinion that whatever miniscule speed gains are possible through compiler optimization will never ever make up the time needed to compile everything.
Optimizing the C library makes the most sense probably (because everything uses it), but you can recompile that from stage three as well.

In addition, all components of the stage tarballs will get replaced over time by program updates so you will get your optimizations eventually and "for free".

You are free to do what you want obviously though ;)
benkoren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I am currently setting up my server with that same video card. I was also having the same problem. The thing that I had to do was edit my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. You have to change the driver that X uses. The line that matters is the Driver line. I'll paste in my version of the relevent section:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
[b] Driver "nv"[/b]
VendorName "All"
BoardName "All"
EndSection

Also, one thing that helped out is I started the livecd without loading x - when you choose your kernel, type 'gentoo nox'. Once the system is up and at the command prompt, edit the above file. Then type 'startx' at the command prompt and you should be good to go. Hope this helps. Good luck!
unrulycow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks benkoren, I had the same problem and that solved it
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: