View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Xfree86 4.3.0 Font Issues Reply with quote

I recently upgraded X to 4.3.0 to mess with it and it seems freetype/fontconfig are having problems with my truetype fonts. Before upgrading all of my fonts looked great, after upgrading, they look absolutely awful, particularly in openbox, mozilla, and gvim among other apps. When I originally installed Gentoo I copied over some TTF from my Windows box, put them in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttf/ [note: not /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/ -- I created a new directory for my windows fonts] used ttmkfdir, mkfontdir in the directory, ran fc-cache, and voila, fonts looked beautiful.

After upgrading X and seeing that the fonts looked awful I tried repeating what I did above. I deleted the fonts.scale, fonts.dir and fonts.cache-1 files out of the ttf directory, re-ran the programs, and restarted X...nothing. I have tried removing references to all font directories except /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttf from /etc/fonts/fonts.conf...doing that causes mozilla and gvim to not even start.

Any suggestions?
Toth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:

When I startx and then type "xlsfonts | grep verdana" in a terminal, it returns several matches. So it appears that X is finding my fonts alright. When I run fc-cache -fv it caches my windows truetype fonts as displayed in the output. However, my windows truetype fonts do not show up in mozilla's font lists, so it seems that freetype and/or fontconfig cannot find them. Which is odd since the path is included in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and fc-cache caches them. Any ideas?

-Toth
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: