Installing the Sources - Section 7b...help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
choplinux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Installing the Sources - Section 7b...help Reply with quote

From the and64 installation guide I am using the Minimal Install disk for my installation and not sure what is going on. I made it all the way to section 7b..Choosing a Kernal and typed this in: USE="-doc symlink" emerge gentoo-sources I hit enter and the computer has been running scripts for 30 minutes. I am fairly new to linux (6 months with Ubuntu) and not sure if this is normal. It doesn't appear normal. This is my first run with Gentoo. Any advice? Thanks
msid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running what scripts for 30'? Mine usually takes 15' to download sources, with my 384 adsl line, and then max 5' more to finish the whole thing. Can you be a little bit more descriptive on what your computer does for 30'?
choplinux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msid wrote:
Running what scripts for 30'? Mine usually takes 15' to download sources, with my 384 adsl line, and then max 5' more to finish the whole thing. Can you be a little bit more descriptive on what your computer does for 30'?

Sorry about that. It is just loading different scripts or files. Its been at it for over 40 minutes now. I have a DSL line that is 4 meg down and 768 up. The screen is showing different text and code...example: right now the text slowed down and stated: Installating/Writing Cairo tools with multiple lines of code following:

Now it syas Writing Glib
choplinux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it says:
Computing Chunks
Writing tango
msid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how this is possible, really. It seems like you are installing a totally different application rather than the kernel sources. cairo and tango should not be here for sure. Try stoping it. Add -doc and -symlink USE flags in /etc/make.conf and then give emerge -vp gentoo-sources and paste the output here. Then try to install it again and report any progress.
choplinux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msid wrote:
I don't understand how this is possible, really. It seems like you are installing a totally different application rather than the kernel sources. cairo and tango should not be here for sure. Try stoping it. Add -doc and -symlink USE flags in /etc/make.conf and then give emerge -vp gentoo-sources and paste the output here. Then try to install it again and report any progress.

I'm not sure what happenend, but I stpped it and re entered the -doc symlink and it appears to be working properly. I wonder what damage was done via the other nonsense. Any thoughts on how to check.
dmartinsca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the extra packages it was trying to install never finished compiling then you'll just be left with some extra junk in /var/tmp/portage. The contents of that directory can be safely deleted as long as emerge is not doing any installs. If a program was partially installed then next time you install something that depends on it it should be reinstalled automatically. If a program completely installed, then oh well... doesn't really matter 8O
In any case, it's not very likely that something broke
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: