Simple resizing with transcode
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blixel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Simple resizing with transcode Reply with quote

I'm trying to transcode an AVI file taken with my digital camera. Using the following command does a good job of reducing the raw video down to something that is more reasonable. (537MB down to 70MB with no noticeable loss of quality)

Code:
transcode -i MVI_0512.AVI -y ffmpeg -F mpeg4 -o spd-02.avi -E 44100,16,2

I would like to reduce the resolution from the default 640x480 to something like 320x240 so I can get the file size down even more. I tried the following, but none of them work. The file size remains at 70MB.

Code:
transcode -i MVI_0512.AVI -y ffmpeg -F mpeg4 -o spd-02.avi -E 44100,16,2 -r2

Code:
transcode -i MVI_0512.AVI -y ffmpeg -F mpeg4 -o spd-02b.avi -E 44100,16,2 -Z 320x240,fast

This didn't work either. (According to the man page, the 30,40,8 equates to 30*8=240 and 40*8=320) But using the following, the resolution stays at 640x480. (And of course the file size stays at 70MB.)

Code:
transcode -i MVI_0512.AVI -y ffmpeg -F mpeg4 -o spd-02b.avi -E 44100,16,2 -B 30,40,8 -X 30,40,8
jsfan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very experienced with transcode but I always use --export_prof. This allows you to use the formats of (S)VCD and might help to reduce the size of the file. And you can evwen burn the file on a (S)VCD afterwards. :-)
tuam
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple resizing with transcode Reply with quote

blixel wrote:
I would like to reduce the resolution from the default 640x480 to something like 320x240 so I can get the file size down even more. I tried the following, but none of them work. The file size remains at 70MB.

Shouldn't you also specify the video bitrate with -w ? Otherwise, you might get a video with fewer pixels, but the same bitrate.

FF,

Daniel
blixel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple resizing with transcode Reply with quote

tuam wrote:
blixel wrote:

Shouldn't you also specify the video bitrate with -w ? Otherwise, you might get a video with fewer pixels, but the same bitrate.

Fewer pixels is what I want. 640 multiplied by 480 multiplied by 30 frames a second adds up a lot faster than 320 multiplied by 240 multiplied by 30 frames per second. I still want to have a decent quality video ... I just want the file size to be a bit smaller. There are a variety of ways to get a smaller file ... but I usually just lower the resolution a bit ... (when using a GUI program like Kino ... unfortunately Kino isn't able to open my original AVI. So I'm trying to use transcode instead for this particular task.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: