Installing Gentoo and Mandrake 10.1 on another HDD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shazam75
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo and Mandrake 10.1 on another HDD Reply with quote

Hi

I am thinking of installing Gentoo on a seperate HDD. Currently I have Mandrake 10.1 installed on another drive. What I want to know is that since Gentoo uses GRUB and Mandrake uses LILO, how will I be able to boot say to mandrake if I wanted too if there are different boot-loaders, or should I simply choose LILO as my boot-loader when I install Gentoo?

Thanks
Shelton.
albhaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have two installations of Linux on the same computer, you should use a
bootloader that both can handle. Since Mandrake already has Lilo configured, I suggest
you copy the kernel from your Gentoo system to the Mandrake partition and configure it from there.

You will have to add to the Lilo config kernel, root partition, etc and then boot from that.

//albhaf
aAKoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should install no boot-loader during Gentoo installation. Afterawards just add a line to LiLo pointing to your Gentoo installation. This is just my opinion and you should wait for someone more expirienced to confirm this.
albhaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aAKoo wrote:
I think you should install no boot-loader during Gentoo installation. Afterawards just add a line to LiLo pointing to your Gentoo installation. This is just my opinion and you should wait for someone more expirienced to confirm this.

Just pointing to the Gentoo partition won't work since you need the kernel to load the
drivers for the filesystem and then load the root partition for Gentoo. The only
case I know where you can just point to a partition and make it boot is when dualbooting
with Windows.

//albhaf
shazam75
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you mean, when I get to the stage of compiling the kernel for Gentoo, I should boot into the Mandrake system, cd to the other HDD and go to the appropriate directory eg /usr/src etc and then compile the Gentoo kernel ?

Cheers
Shelton.
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shazam75 wrote:
So you mean, when I get to the stage of compiling the kernel for Gentoo, I should boot into the Mandrake system, cd to the other HDD and go to the appropriate directory eg /usr/src etc and then compile the Gentoo kernel ?

No, compile the kernel for Gentoo as per normal. Then simply copy it (and System.map) across into the Mandrake /boot partition (which you can mount temporarily) and then add an entry in the bootloader configuration for Gentoo that points to this kernel and the root of the Gentoo installation. The end result should be one /boot partition on the entire system which can load either/any distribution.
shazam75
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - but i wanted to keep gentoo on HD A and Mandrake on HD B.

:roll:
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand. :? You can have whichever distribution on whichever disk; but just have one /boot partition somewhere in which grub or lilo is installed, with appropriate entries for each distribution.

In any case, my main point, in reference to your earlier post, was that you should compile the gentoo kernel from within the gentoo installation, not the mandrake... :)
shazam75
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so i take it for Gentoo, i need a /boot partition - in mandrake i didnt have one.

correction - i do have a boot!

sorry! :oops:
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes---I'm not sure whether it's absolutely mandatory, but it's certainly normal to have one. There was a thread about this here on the forums very recently, but I couldn't find it just now. So you could set up this /boot partition and install your bootloader as the manual says all as per normal. Then later copy the mandrake kernel across into it and add an entry on the bootloader menu for the mandrake installation.

A bit of advice, though: check before you go down this route that it is possible to boot mandrake in this way. The reason I say that is because I'm sure I read, ages ago, that booting into Fedora like this poses some minor problems. You might just want to check if there are any pitfalls with mandrake too.

Good luck! :)

EDIT: aaargh, read your correction after I'd posted... the warning still stands, though!
shazam75
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for ur help!!

Cheers
Shelton.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: