Unable to install VMware Player or Server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manwe-the-Great
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Unable to install VMware Player or Server Reply with quote

I don't know if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I searched, and couldn't seem to find anyting related to either of these installed on a Gentoo host.
I found out that vmware-player is still masked, and VMware Server beta isn't even on the list yet.
I downoaded the install files from VMware, untarred them, but when I try to run vmware-install.pl (yes, I'm running it as root), I get this error:

-bash: ./vmware-install.pl: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: Permission denied

The only other times I've seen a "bad interpreter" error, was when I was dealing with a MS-DOS text file, or a corrupted script, but I have downloaded and untarred both of these programs twice, with the same results. As far as "Permission denied" I have no idea.

As I said, if this has been addressed elsewhere, sorry, and please direct me there. Otherwise, thank you for any assistance
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried unmasking vmware-player and installing it via portage? It is working perfectly for me.

I believe there is an ebuild for the new server version in bugzilla, if you want to try that out too.
Manwe-the-Great
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you could unmask ebuilds. How can I do that?

About the previous error, I found out that apparently Gentoo (or my configuration) doesn't allow direct execution of perl scripts.
When I added the perl directive ( perl vmware-install.pl ), it worked perfectly.
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add the line app-emulation/vmware-player ~x86 to the file /etc/portage/package.keywords. (You would need to change ~x86 to your own architecture if it isn't x86.) As a rule, it is better to use portage if you can, because it keeps track of where all the application's stuff is, handles dependencies, and can readily uninstall or upgrade the software if necessary. It also provides, of course, programmes that have often been specifically patched/customised for Gentoo. You might want to look at this to learn more about masking:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=3

HTH
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: