Apple Cinema Display sleeps when running startx
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimflem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Apple Cinema Display sleeps when running startx Reply with quote

Hi!

I have searched thru the forums and the net, but am having a hard time finding a good clean answer on my issue. I am just now getting back into Gentoo since getting an Apple PowerBook (newest rev prior to the 1440 res update). Anyway, here's the issue.

I have a 20" Cinema display connected to the laptop via DVI. When running startx, my 20" immediately goes to sleep and X starts on the laptop LCD. I just don't know how to possibly troubleshot this. When this occurs, I have to reboot since Ctrl-Alt-Backspace causes the screen to go black. I have searched around for xorg.conf files and played with many settings, but cannot seem to get around this. X will load fine on the laptop LCD, just not the 20" on the DVI port.

I am running the 2006 version of Gentoo with nothing beyond the base OS installed at this point. Any tips, links to threads, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Xorgautoconfig to configure X. There's an option that's commented out:
#Option "MonitorLayout" "TMDS" # Enable this for Apple DVI LCDs
Try enabling that.
slimflem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did this already, but to no avail. I have tried many options in the xorg.conf but am not making too much progress getting the output to go thru the DVI for X on the PowerBook.
slimflem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I have made some progress, but not much. I am now able to move the mouse across the screen to the external DVI, but the screen still goes to sleep. I know I am moving the mouse on the other screen because the travel distance of the mouse is equal to how much I move "in" to come back "out" to the laptop screen.

Surely someone here is using a PowerBook with the DVI output as the primary output running X. I would like to be able to do this very badly. Can anyone give me an pointers? I have tried everything I can think of and read so much about this. I am pretty much stuck at this point. =(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: