Loading module for eth0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetbmx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Loading module for eth0 Reply with quote

To begin with, I am a n00b to linux and this is my first post on this forum. I wasent learning anything with RedHat so I wanted to go with a distro that is more advanced where I would be forced to learn as I went along. After reading http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3051 I deceided to try Gentoo.

I have installed from the 1.4 rc3 LiveCD with a stage3 tarball and Gentoo is up and running, but without a network connection. I am pretty sure that a module needs to be loaded, the problem is I dont know what module to use and where to get it. (During the install, the LiveCD autoconfigured it). I have a Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra motherboard with an on-board Intel PRO/100 VE LAN chip. It would be greatly appreciated if someone helped me through this.
ctford0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have to do first is to compile support for your card into your kernel. When you setup the kernel you have 2 choices, compile it into the kernel or compile it as a module.....

If you do a module if you go to the help on the particular card that you are compiling support for it will tell you what the module name is. For your card for example you have 2 choices if im not mistaken. You can either use the eepro or e100. One of these modules comes from intel and the other is a developed driver. The help files will tell you which is which.

Even though many ppl in this forum would rip my head off for saying so, I usually compile mine into the kernel just because im lazy.

Hope this helps.

Chris
resist-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eepro driver is the one included in the kernel and the e100 is the one developed by intel. I have an intel pro/100 network card, and the eepro module didn't work.

I downloaded the source of he e100 driver from the intel www site (a quick google search for "e100 linux driver" got me at the download place).

After compiling it, doing a
Code:
modprobe e100

got my network card up !!!

BTW, a small tip to know which module was loaded by the install cd, just, after booting it, type
Code:
lsmod

This command will list all the loaded modules, you should then see eepro or e100 :)

Hope this helps !!!
Good luck :wink:
streetbmx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I would like to thank you for the help. lsmod helped me find out that i needed to load the module eepro100. I also needed to uncomment iface_eth0="dhcp" in /etc/conf.d/net. Now i've got gentoo running with internet, i'm some sort of happy clam
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: