prelinking problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Portent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: prelinking problems Reply with quote

I'm having a couple problems with prelinking.
First of all, it's complaining about libMrm.so.3. This file isn't anywhere on the computer...where should I look for this?

The other problem is more important:

Code:
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/uil: Could not parse `/usr/X11R6/bin/uil: error while loading shared libraries: libMrm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/twm: Dependency tracing failed
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/xmanimate: Could not parse `/usr/X11R6/bin/xmanimate: error while loading shared libraries: libMrm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/showrgb: Dependency tracing failed
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/fileview: Could not parse `/usr/X11R6/bin/fileview: error while loading shared libraries: libMrm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/xkbvleds: Dependency tracing failed
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/hellomotif: Could not parse `/usr/X11R6/bin/hellomotif: error while loading shared libraries: libMrm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/xtrapchar: Dependency tracing failed
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/periodic: Could not parse `/usr/X11R6/bin/periodic: error while loading shared libraries: libMrm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/xfsinfo: Dependency tracing failed
prelink: /usr/X11R6/bin/helloint: Could not parse `/usr/X11R6/bin/helloint: error while loading shared libraries: libMrm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/qt/3/bin/lrelease: Dependency tracing failed
prelink: /usr/kde/3.1/bin/kxconfig: section file offsets not monotonically increasing
prelink: exec.c:515: prelink_exec: Assertion `new_reloc == -1 || rinfo.first == new[new_reloc]' failed.
Aborted

What does that last line mean? Searching the archives found that one person fixed it by recompiling prelinking. I did that without luck. Any other suggestions? Thanks
magnet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

you should look this thread :
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=44272&highlight=
:)
Portent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I've already checked out all the archived discussions on this. That's why I'm asking here. That one helps with the libMrm.so.3 problem, but as I mentioned, that file doesn't exist on my computer.
magnet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ,

try to locate libMrm.so , if you find any answer like libMrm.so.1 orso , just symlink it , and follow the post I gave.( I had same problem on my gf's laptop.)
Portent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest thing I have to a libMrm.so.3 file are some headers in the X11 include dir. I just upgraded to X 4.3 so I'm wondering if maybe that had something to do with it.

Any insight on the error in the last line of my prelink output?

Thanks for the help.
magnet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that libMrm is provided with motif,you should check that you have it installed.

for your problem ( the last line thing ) I have no idea, but I'll search.
joyeux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: prelink + stripping? Reply with quote

Hello,
I compile everything with USE="pic", and -s (stripping libs).

then I run

prelink -amfR

and got many errors like

something: Could not find variable copy reloc is against

(I think its on every binary :-))

Could it be because of stripping?

Thanks
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the libMrm.so.3 comes from the latest "up-to-date" motif version that is not currently included in the portage tree I think. Not even in the ~ arch. That error is really not a problem, it will prelink whatever else it can.

The last problem, which is much more important because it prevents prelink from running fully is adressed in the prelink gentoo FAQ I think. You have a binary that makes your prelink crash.
First step is to identify what binary makes it crash. For that you have to emerge strace (if not already done so) and then it should be something like this
Code:
strace prelink -afmvR > prelink.log

I am not sure about the syntax but you will find the exact one in the gentoo prelink FAQ if it does not work.
Once it is done, look into prelink.log, the last lines will tell you when it crashes.

Now you have identified the problematic binary, you have two options:
1: you can mask the whole directory where the binary is (exact procedure described in prelink FAQ too)
2: you can delete/move/hide the concerned binary and re-install it once your prelinking is done. You will have to do that every time you want to run prelink though.

Rerun your prelink. It will solve it.

I had the very same problem with fwbuilder. (in case you have that software installed too).

Joyeux that may solve it
Quote:
"<file>: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected reloc type..." 

This has been fixed in sys-libs/glibc-2.3.1-r2 on 2002/11/18, remerge glibc if yours is older.

Also doing prelink -u -a -m ; prelink -a -m has been known to help. If all else fails just do prelink -u <file>
mischief
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Xfree-4.3.0-r1 and I had the same problem.

find / -name libMrm.so.3

libMrm.so.3 was missing!

So I emerged openmotif again and now it's back to normal.

I think xfree-4.3.0-r1 deleted libMrm.so.3 because it was located in the /usr/X11R6/lib/ directory.
HuskyDog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Prelink FAQ? Reply with quote

barlad wrote:
is adressed in the prelink gentoo FAQ I think.

I suspect I am just being stupid, but I can't seem to find this prelink FAQ of which you speak. All I can find is the Gentoo Linux Prelink Guide, but that doesn't seem to have anything to say about my numerous "Could not find variable copy reloc is against" errors.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: