View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cotcot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: [CLOSED, not solved] No XFCE after new install of 2006.0 Reply with quote

EDIT : problem seems to be de graphical card.

I did a new install from the LIVECD 2006.0 only using the graphical installer (I did not get past the partitioning with the command line installer ; it does not give me the possibility ti select FALSE for formatting of existing partitions /boot and /).

During installation I selected xdm and xfce. after I got the message that the installation is complete I rebooted. Together with the "installation complete" message came 2 errors about runlevel but I do not remember them exactly (I do not know where to find the log file).

Reboot gives me a login window. It refuses the user + password I gave during install (I only filled in the user name and password and left the other lines with ID etc blank). If I login with root + password I come in a graphical environment I do not know. I see an empty with that can move by moving the mouse. I get the command line prompt by clicking in it. In the upper left corner there is another window where I can select "users, "session", "default", "logout" and a 2 other options. The cursor is an "X".

I hope this info can do to help me further. How do I get xfce ?

Last edited by cotcot on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
comicz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so XDM is installed. XFCE is probably installed as well, then? As root, try re-adding your user in a terminal(deluser <user>, adduser). Log in as your user, and do the following on the command line:
Code:
echo "startxfce4" >> ~/.xinitrc

Log out, log in. What happens?
(I'm assuming this is a new user with no .xinitrc).
cotcot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks comicz for your reply. I will try this evening what you suggest. I will post the result. I already tried to add the user again (adduser username; passwd username passwd) but this was not accepted for login. Anyway I will try this again.
cotcot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reboot and get a login screen. User and password seemed to be valid. The screen turns black for a couple of second and gives then the same login window again.
When I type root and root password I get a window "session menu" with :
"default (locked at localhost;/tmp.ICE-unix/10294,inet/localhost" and under that the buttons
"load session", "delete session", "break lock", "default/fail safe" and "cancel". I cannot click load session and delete session. Clicking break lock allows my to toggle load session. This gives window top left with 4 buttons : client list, session log, checkpoint and shut down.
The window where i can get the commond line prompt has "xterm" as title.
What is wrong ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: