View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormblazer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Font and mouse issues Reply with quote

I've been rebuilding my gentoo setup (I broke my old one, and I needed to repartition anyways), but I made a mistake in the backup and lost some of my config files, although I still have everything that was in /etc

Anyways to get to the point- First off, fonts. I'm using Gnome 2.14, but the fonts seem off, sometimes letters are a bit too thick in places, and I've tried fiddling with the font preferences in Gnome, but no luck.

Second is the mouse- neither the scroll-wheel nor the side buttons work, and I know I used imwheel in the past, but I can't find my configuration for it, nor can I remember the program I used before to set imwheel up (It was some program that detected the id of mouse clicks, run from terminal).

So if anyone has a possible solution for either of those, I'd love to have an answer.
ASID
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try
Code:
xorgconfig
and follow the instructions there. This will modify your xorg.conf file under /etc/X11/. This file contains information about your fonts and your mouse. Try adding
Code:
Option "Buttons"     "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping""4 5"

in the mouse section of the file, so you can be able to use scroll.

Also if you have any fonts tha you want to use, you can place the path to them in the file aswell, ie:
Code:
FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/freefont/"

Good luck :wink:
Stormblazer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the mouse thing worked, I'd previously had it set to 7 buttons and mapped to 6 and 7, but evidently either that doesn't work correctly with imwheel anymore, or i've got something else set-up wrong (could also be modular X). Anyways, at least scrolling is working, it was very annoying not having scroll, so thanks for that bit.

I didn't use xorgconfig because I've already got a config file I migrated from my old installation, and it appears to be working (more or less) smoothly with modular X. Also, I really don't want to redo that config file, it's got a number of customized options in it that the xorgconfig script won't add.

I placed some fonts (ttf format) in that directory, but no luck accessing them through gnome.

Also, I seem to be having issues with openGL, which is odd seeing as i've never had trouble with nvidia drivers before...
ASID
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, the mouse thing worked

Great!

On the font problem, did you try to change your font display from the gnome manager? Take a look at this howto that I find very usefull http://avi.alkalay.net/linux/docs/font-howto/Font.html.
I hope that helps...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: