View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schloob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: KDE and X resources Reply with quote

hi, i've got an interesting problem here. i used nedit's guide to make it look all spiffy and not so gray, but the thing is... the non-gray colors only work in kde. it reads the resource file just fine, it just doesn't work! i can change like, the background colors of text boxes, but not the gray widget background. you can see the difference in these pictures:

http://et.ath.cx/kde.png
http://et.ath.cx/notkde.png

does anyone have any idea what KDE does to get this to work? or is my computer just broken? i tried using fluxbox, icewm, and evilwm, but they all fail.

thanks,
schloob

p.s.:
this might not be the place for it, but i'm having another problem too. i'm not sure if it's with motif in general or with nedit alone, but i posted it on their bug board anyway, anyone who cares take a look:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1458006&group_id=11005&atid=111005
sybille
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know that this will help, but I'm a nedit user who has no KDE libraries installed and who uses fluxbox (and gtk2 apps, very little gnome). I also use .Xdefaults to make nedit look better, and I have no problem with that.

It's hard to tell from your screen shots, but it seems that in the non-KDE picture the only thing that is different is the color of the task bar area. It looks like the other style changes are there, just not the color.

I also notice that you haven't set the following resource:
Code:
nedit*background:                   <define your color>

That's the one that changes the color of the task bar area.

So my guess is that KDE is setting the colors for you when you're using it, not .Xdefaults. (There's some KDE control panel setting that tells KDE to use your preferred colors for all apps. I think that includes motif apps, and that this is how the color is being set.)

And I suppose that would change if you defined the nedit*background color, setting it to whatever it is that KDE is using if that's what you'd like to see. Post back if it works. :)
schloob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i never even noticed that! at the end of the guide it gives a list of all the stuff they changed, but they left out the background color. it looks like KDE does change that itself. thanks :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: