When Will xgl be Ready?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: When Will xgl be Ready? Reply with quote

I really like what I see from the video demo and a livecd of xgl that I downloaded, and I want xgl on my desktop. I know it's in an alpha, or beta, or whatever development stage, and that's really not what's stopping me, but I'd like to know when it will be stable.

I run KDE, and the demo and livecd use gnome. Apparantly compiz doesn't work well with kwin, but the KDE guys are working on this. How long will I have to wait until kwin and compiz work together? And it's not in portage. Will it be in portage when it's stable?
greasy_grasshopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience whenever you ask a "when will it be ready?" question about a Free Software/Open Source project, the answer that you will get is:

"It'll be ready when it's ready."

But if I'm supposed to have a wild guess, I'll say that you'll be seeing it shipped with mainstream distros in less than a year from now.
aldoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiz and kwin...
Compiz will never work with kwin. It's like you asked when emacs and vi will work together. Never !

I don't know exactly what are the KDE team working on. But it is likely the next kwin will be able to use Xgl (or AIGLX or whatever) for cool effects à la compiz. When ? Not before KDE4, I guess. (KDE 3.5.x should not bring any new goodies).
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiz is a window manager that supports Xgl. KWin (KDE) and Metacity (Gnome) do not support Xgl. In order to enjoy the fun features of Xgl, at the moment, Compiz is your only option. So what you do is you install Xgl and Gnome/KDE and replace Metacity/KWin with Compiz. In other words, instead of the default Gnome or KDE window managers, you are using Compiz. Compiz is GTK based, but will still work as a replacement for KWin with no problems.

Hope that clears things up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: