MySQL 5 and /sbin/depscan.sh Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssims
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: MySQL 5 and /sbin/depscan.sh Problems Reply with quote

I'm trying to get MySQL 5 to play nicely with Gentoo, and it's running, but I get this message:

Could not get dependency info for "mysql"!
Please run:
# /sbin/depscan.sh
to try and fix this.

about 5 times during the boot sequence. I'm using the mysql.server file that came with the install files in /etc/init.d (renamed to mysql and added to the default run level) to start mysql. I ran /sbin/depscan.sh a couple times and the error still shows up. Any ideas what's missing or how to make depscan happy? Thanks.

-Sean
Suer7reus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, are you saying that you simply copied some executable to the /etc/init.d/ directory and added it to the default runlevel (i.e. rc-update)? That's a no-no, although I suppose it would sort of make sense. Things in init.d/ are specially formatted scripts that are run through a special interpreter (/sbin/runscript), so not just any executable will do! The proper course of action here would be to use the provided /etc/init.d/mysql init-script or to write your own (which you do NOT want to do for something messy like mysql).

If you installed MySQL 5 using portage, which you definitely should have done, you would have a working /etc/init.d/mysql installed for you. I will therefore speculate that you found `emerge mysql` to install only version 4 and, not liking this, installed version 5 sans portage. Although that's not a bad thing to do per se (if you know what you're doing and have a good reason), it's really MUCH simpler to install using portage. Portage, however, has marked MySQL 5 experimental via the ~arch (probably ~x86) keyword and as you have not told it that you are okay with that experimental package, it has decided to provide you with the safer (or more thoroughly tested, at any rate) MySQL 4. If I have indeed guessed correctly what you have done, I would uninstall your manual installation of MySQL 5 to the best of your ability and then emerge mysql after doing one of the following:

To allow ALL experimental packages on your system (NOT to be done lightly, and never on a production box), add this line to your /etc/make.conf:
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

Or ~ppc, etc, depending on your architecture.

--OR--

To allow experimental installation of only MySQL, pick a version (you can search the repository at http://packages.gentoo.org/) and add a line like the following to your /etc/portage/package.keywords:
Code:
=dev-db/mysql-5.0.19 ~x86

Again, or ~ppc, etc. Note here that you may need to create the directory /etc/portage and/or the file /etc/portage/package.keywords. That's normal.

This is what I have done, and MySQL 5 works great for me.

You're going to learn Gentoo by making mistakes (I would sure know, hehehe), but you'll make fewer of them if you read the Portage documentation here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=gentoo (I wish I had). It is concise, informative, and well-written.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: