View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping to get more into rosetta@home :)

Started a week ago and just stumbled over this thread today and ofc. joined up with GLUE.

Btw. only used to the BOINC-manager from Wind*ws, on that I can show graphics to follow the process, that's disabled on linux?
And.... when BOINC is working 3d acelleration seems to have gone out to lunch - at least glxgears yields MUCH lower fps when BOINC is busy, that's normal?
(nvidia - Xorg 7.0)

--
freke aka. erialor
nico_calais
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know what to do with my pentium IV 2,6Ghz. I guess I've found out. :wink:
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stopped for a while: my computer was getting way to hot with the weather and all, harddisks in the fifties is never a good thing.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're now listed 187th on top teams! :)
For a small team like us, I think that is a great achievement! :D

Who will help us getting into the top100? ;)
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall. *resumes having his desktop work it's arse off*
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we've climbed up to #152 on the world's ranking list in just 1,5 week time!
Just 52 to go!
Who will help showing GLUE is a superior team and belongs in the top 100? ;)
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 18 days time, we've grown harder and harder! We're now hitting position #126 on the worldlist!
But it isn't enough! GLUE Needs You!
Help to find a cure to major human diseases and help us in the top 100 while you're at it 8)

By the way, can someone make some daily stats? Like this for example (that are the stats from the Dutch Power Cows, currently ranking at #1. You need to learn from the masters, ey? ;) ). I have neither the time nor the craft to make such stats, especially on a daily (or more) basis.
So, can anyone? It would intensivy the competition spirit a lot :P
ttuttle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes Rosetta@Home different from Folding@Home? Aren't they both doing protein-folding simulations? I've been running F@H for a school team for a year or so now--is there any compelling reason to switch to Rosetta?
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia wrote:
On March 8, 2004, Genome@home was terminated and was merged into Folding@home. Professor Vijay Pande outlines the difference between Folding@Home and Rosetta@home in the following quote: [1]
I know Baker and Ranganathan and their work very well and (like the rest of the protein community) find their work very important and impressive. However, Rosetta@home and Folding@Home are addressing very different problems.
Rosetta only predicts the final folded state, not how do proteins fold (and Rosetta has nothing to do with protein misfolding). Thus, those methods are not useful for the questions we're interested in and the diseases we're tackling (Alzheimer's Disease and other aggregation related diseases).
Also, one should note that accurate computational protein structure prediction is still very challenging compared to what one can do experimentally, whereas the information obtained from Folding@home on the nature of folding and misfolding pathways matches experiment (eg with quantitative validation in rates, free energy, etc) and then goes beyond what experiment can tell us in that arena. While Rosetta has gone a long way and is a very impressive project, given the choice between a Rosetta predicted structure and a crystal structure, one would always chose the crystal structure. I bet that will be changing due to their great efforts, but that may still be a ways off for that dream to be realized.
So, both are valuable projects IMHO, but addressing very different questions. I think there are some misunderstandings out there, though. Some people think FAH is all about structure prediction (which it is not -- that's Rosetta's strength) and some think Rosetta is about misfolding related disease (which it's not, that's Folding@Home's strength). Hopefully this post helps straighten some of that out.
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the folding@home client has its own engine (not BOINC), at least when I was using it. While using it, I fried my athlon t-bird processor. I can't be very sure if it was actually the folding@home client what made it smoke 'n burn, but I was only running it 1 week, plus I found that I could actually notice it running (programs starting much slower, even though it was all niced down). A year ago I tried it again, it was still the case for me. So I'm not going to try it again. I likes the way seti was working (couldn't notice it running), but I don't care for a friend from outer space. Rosetta seemed like a nice project, with an honest goal, which needed users. Other projects already have a large backbone, this one was still relatively small. So I chose Rosetta. I'll start crunching again soon.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahubu wrote:
So I chose Rosetta. I'll start crunching again soon.

Better hurry if you plan on catching me.. :)
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy userbase increase, batman! mummble mumble, rc-update add boinc default, mumble mumble.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone get boinc working in amd64?
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiling boinc now. Will be joining team soon.
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old, but have a question regarding boinc and one of the projects using it.

For some reason I am unable to create any account for climateprediction.net Is anyone else able to do so? I get an error 155 when using boinc_cmd and using http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/create_account_form.php gives me an error because there is no password field. Using boinc_gui gives me an error because there is no username field.

Oh yeah, despite GLUE's efforts, thought I'd just let you know that I just joined my university's group, and one of the 'users' is running boinc on 415 of our CAE computers, all of which are either 3, 3.2, 3.4, and possibly 3.6ghz P4's. Now I know why my university has its own coal power plant....
davascript
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am backing up our Rosetta Server as we speak. I am not at home to install but i will look into this when I do get there.
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bertaboy wrote:

Oh yeah, despite GLUE's efforts, thought I'd just let you know that I just joined my university's group, and one of the 'users' is running boinc on 415 of our CAE computers, all of which are either 3, 3.2, 3.4, and possibly 3.6ghz P4's. Now I know why my university has its own coal power plant....

I read somewhere that stealing cpu-cycles can be a pretty serious offense in some countries. I believe it was in the US. Can't find the source though. But I'd think twice before running this program under my own credentials at the university. :)
I'm already pissed off when I see that the university has all those monitors on standby all the time, even when they're not used. Even for LCDs that's quite a lot of waste in the long run.
Tin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in :-)
I was running seti years ago, and when I tried to install it now on gentoo, I discover Rosetta and my preference went to it :-)

What a pity that we don't have any beautiful graphics :-(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: