Developing for other Linux distros on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paultcochrane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Developing for other Linux distros on Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm involved in a Python project that would like to release .rpm and .deb files as well as the source code. I've looked into making an rpm, however, it seems that one needs to be running a RedHat or Fedora system to be able to build these things. I'm running Gentoo and am more than happy with it, but I'd like the users of the software I'm developing to be able to install it on their favourite platform, and not to have to go log into root and have to know how to install python modules (which admittedly are very easy); it'd be nice to for users to use YAST or YUM or apt-get or whatever. Does anyone have any advice on this issue? Do I need to have access to a RH or Debian system to build these packages? Or is it actually possible to release software for distros other than that upon which it is developed?

Thanks mega-heaps in advance!

Paul
Ferdinando
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried emerging app-arch/rpm? Maybe it's what you're looking for; but I don't know if it really is capable of generating .rpm files.

Bye
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Developing for other Linux distros on Gentoo Reply with quote

paultcochrane wrote:
Do I need to have access to a RH or Debian system to build these packages?

You can just use chroots. Using debootstrap it's been dead easy to do this with Debian for years, and thanks to Progeny, there's now an rpmstrap, too.

Alternatively, you could use Xen, VMWare, or similar to install each distro in a virtual machine of its own.
paultcochrane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Developing for other Linux distros on Gentoo Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:

You can just use chroots. Using debootstrap it's been dead easy to do this with Debian for years, and thanks to Progeny, there's now an rpmstrap, too.

Thanks heaps! I'll give these a try. :-)

Paul
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: