Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
tips for fluxbox [Part 1]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am new with fluxbox. I am using it a few month in Agnula, http://demudi.agnula.org/
But now, i want to use it with Gentoo. I have done a fresh install (my old one was just crashing after uppgrading from 2005.0 to 2005.1...), so i have done a stage 3 install, a stage 3 to 1 ...ing. After that i have done an "emerge fluxbox", followed by the emrging of some sound apps.

The base system seem to work very well. Before emerging fluxbox, when starting X, it was just 3 consoles and the mouse was ok. But now, all i get is a black screnn with the mouse cursor, and at the exception of ctrl-alt-bspace, nothing work.

I believe at i must do my own config file for fluxbox. Is it an easy way to do that?
What look strange is at it is some configuration files in /usr/share/fluxbox, but fluxbox seem not be using those files. :P
red-wolf76
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... dumbass question, I know, but did you include fluxbox in your rc.conf as XSESSION? and what did you put as your DisplayManager?

Not a *box-guru myself, I'm happily using Gnome right now, but I used to have similar problems when I dabbled with enlightenment way back in the day!

Use sane CFLAGS! If for no other reason, do it for the lulz!
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not configured any windows manager at the moment. I was using "startx fluxbox".
I have installed gdm but not configured it yet.
It is some parts of gnome in my system because some apps have it as dependances. I have try "startx gnome", but the result was the same as with fluxbox.
I wiil try to configre the rc.conf, but i must wait for emerge to stop, i am stick in a chrooted console installing some more apps just now.
It was it, thank you. :D
The screen is still black, but i have a toolbar and a menu with some apps, even a configuration menu. So i must be able to manage the rest. I will first reread this thread. :roll:
LinuxBlues
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paoleela wrote:
Looks good, so how do you custumize your xdm?

Here's a tutorial about the background in xdm:
Add background wallpaper to XDM
you can emerge qiv too. feh failed to set the root image.

man xdm :)

There's only one important thing you must add to /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
Code:

DisplayManager._0.authorize:    true
DisplayManager*authorize:       false

if you want to avoid remote logins in your X server.

xdm is nice and fast,
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this has already been mentioned in this thread earlier, but I've already managed to get tranparency to work with Eterm in my Fluxbox and the menus, toolbars, etc..etc.., so far so good. Now, I was wondering, since I have the sphere-like icons from the gentoo-icons collection. How do you get to put the icons next to the app's in the menu like I've seen in some of the screenshots on different sites?

Like I said before, if this tip was already explained earlier could someone direct me to the right page where it is located, also for what it's worth I'm using Fluxbox-0.9.14-r1. I originally tried to incorporate some type of icon-bar at the bottom, sort of like "Engage", or the "gDesklets", or "aDesklets" version of an iconbar. But it has been an endless pain in my ass trying to get anything of the sort to work, but that's another story :wink: .
dswissmiss
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fluxbox wiki goes over this

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Howto_edit_menu
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opp's, thanks dswissmiss, I knew it was a simple fix, also I'm glad to see that Fluxbox has finally got their own WIKI page.
Btw, I used "fluxconf" to add menu icons to my menu, and I used the gentoo-marble or sphere-like icons, which looks pretty cool with a transparent menu 8) . For those of you who don't know, fluxconf is available in portage. It tends to make graphical menu editing a snap :wink: .
revertex
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
I have not configured any windows manager at the moment. I was using "startx fluxbox".
I have installed gdm but not configured it yet.
It is some parts of gnome in my system because some apps have it as dependances. I have try "startx gnome", but the result was the same as with fluxbox.
I wiil try to configre the rc.conf, but i must wait for emerge to stop, i am stick in a chrooted console installing some more apps just now.
It was it, thank you. :D
The screen is still black, but i have a toolbar and a menu with some apps, even a configuration menu. So i must be able to manage the rest. I will first reread this thread. :roll:

something is wrong, ist's not fluxbox or gnome that you see, but twm, try
Code:
startx /usr/bin/fluxbox

Follow the docs http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/fluxbox-config.xml , it seems that you haven't a properly configured .xinitrc.
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm a recent convert from xfce4. all I can say is I wish i'd tried flux before. never liked gnome, went to xfce because I was getting tired of all the bloat in KDE, and the fact it tries to be windows for *nix. even spent some time X-less, but finally came around to fluxbox.

so I'm having a couple problems, and this looks like the right place to post.

first, downloaded some themes, placed them in a local dir, but I can't find the switch to put them into the menu so I can try them out

second, not sure if this is a cron or flux problem, but I have the following in cron:

Code:
[nqs@idiot nqs]% crontab -l
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.XXXXh24Mkh installed on Thu Dec  1 23:58:10 2005)
# (Cron version V5.0 -- $Id: crontab.c,v 1.12 2004/01/23 18:56:42 vixie Exp $)
# minute (0-59),
# |     hour (0-23),
# |     |       day of the month (1-31),
# |     |       |       month of the year (1-12),
# |     |       |       |       day of the week (0-6 with 0=Sunday).
# |     |       |       |       |       command(s)
# |     |       |       |       |       |

*/15    *       *       *       *       fbsetbg -r /home/nqs/images/wallpapers/
[nqs@idiot nqs]%

but it fails to execute. is there a better way to get a dynamic background that fluxbox uses?

third, the one thing I do miss from xfce is the ability to raise/lower windows with the scroll wheel (as opposed to double clicking as fluxbox does) how do I do this in flux?

TIA,

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Flux,
I've been having some issues with my wallpapers as well, so I can't really offer much advice there. However, as far as the focus issue goes, it seems as if the dev's at Flux changed a few things in the menu. I'm assuming that you're using version 0.9.14, at least that's what I'm using. Anyway, first off, right click on your desktop and I believe it goes like this:

Code:
Fluxbox
-->Fluxbox Menu
--->>Configure
-->>>Focus Model->  Click to Focus
                                Mouse Focus
                                Click Tab Focus
                                Mouse Tab Focus
                                Auto Raise

...I believe sloppy focus has been changed to mouse focus, I don't have a mouse because I have a laptop so I use a touchpad, hope this helps :wink: .
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now hello fellow Fluxer's,
I'm a little confused about this and I'm wondering if this sounds familiar to any of you. I had my menus set up with marble icons and for whatever reason when I booted back up this morning, and my menu went back to an almost default state. In other words my icons have disappeared and the apps that were at the top of my menu are gone as well :? , any ideas?
dswissmiss
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you create the menu file yourself, or did you use some program to configure it?
Open up ~/.fluxbox/init and look towards the bottom for session.menuFile and make sure it points to your menu file like:
Code:
session.menuFile:       ~/.fluxbox/menu

or whatever you named it.
You should also go over the file to make sure you didn't make any mistakes last time you changed it, such as not ending a [submenu] with [end] or something.

Btw, aren't the icons really tiny in your menu? I have been wondering if I can get those bigger than 14x14 pixels.
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did create a menu file, I created it with "Fluxconf", and everything was just fine up until I booted up earlier today...
I was also wondering if there was a way to change the size of the icons because they are very small...
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, I believe I have figured out why this phnomenon occurs. It occurs on behalf of the simple carelessness of tapping the "Reload Config" command on the Fluxbox Menu. Yes, that's right folk's, apparently "Reload Config" acts as a sort of default reset command of sorts. I suppose that would explain why everything in my menu went back to it's original layout :wink: .
whimsybean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Eject/close cdrom tray using F12 Reply with quote

I don't know if someone's posted this already, but here's a hack I put in my .fluxbox/keys file
to make it so that hitting F12 opens and closes the cdrom tray:
Code:
None F12 :ExecCommand if [ -f /tmp/TRAY_IS_OPEN.TMP ]; then rm /tmp/TRAY_IS_OPEN.TMP; eject -t; else touch /tmp/TRAY_IS_OPEN.TMP; eject; fi

Not sure if the "eject -t" option works for all cdrom drives, but It works for mine. If you don't want all of that messy file creation/removal, you can map eject to F11 and eject -t to F12 or something (maybe there is a better way to do this...).

--Peter
ZhenJuan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, great thread!

Is there a way to "show desktop" or "minimise all"? I cant seem to find that anywhere...
sean345
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZhenJuan wrote:
Hi all, great thread!

Is there a way to "show desktop" or "minimise all"? I cant seem to find that anywhere...

You can set a key binding to do this. Check out the fluxbox wiki keys page for all the options. You'll want the "ShowDesktop" command.

- Sean
tane_stelzer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently changed to fluxbox, it is a really light wm and easily configurable, just i dont know how to configure everything, when i startup i want aterm and gkrellm to start, well that works fine but i dont like the position of gkrellm. Aterm starts in the left top corner which is where i want it but gkrellm start on the right to aterm, but i want it to be under aterm, on the left hand side, is there a way of doing this?
smlgbl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tane_stelzer wrote:
I recently changed to fluxbox, it is a really light wm and easily configurable, just i dont know how to configure everything, when i startup i want aterm and gkrellm to start, well that works fine but i dont like the position of gkrellm. Aterm starts in the left top corner which is where i want it but gkrellm start on the right to aterm, but i want it to be under aterm, on the left hand side, is there a way of doing this?

Gkrellm is located in the socalled "slit". Open the menu (right-click the background) -> fluxbox menu -> Configure -> Slit -> Placement -> Then choose your preferred place!
ZhenJuan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You can set a key binding to do this. Check out the fluxbox wiki keys page for all the options. You'll want the "ShowDesktop" command.

- Sean

just what I was looking for! Thnx a lot Sean :D
feminista
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Eject/close cdrom tray using F12 Reply with quote

whimsybean wrote:
I don't know if someone's posted this already, but here's a hack I put in my .fluxbox/keys file
to make it so that hitting F12 opens and closes the cdrom tray:
Code:
None F12 :ExecCommand if [ -f /tmp/TRAY_IS_OPEN.TMP ]; then rm /tmp/TRAY_IS_OPEN.TMP; eject -t; else touch /tmp/TRAY_IS_OPEN.TMP; eject; fi

Not sure if the "eject -t" option works for all cdrom drives, but It works for mine. If you don't want all of that messy file creation/removal, you can map eject to F11 and eject -t to F12 or something (maybe there is a better way to do this...).

--Peter

Wow, that's awesome, thanks. I modified it so I can toggle xcompmgr with F8. DROPSHADOWS AT MY WHIM!

Oooh, the same script works in the menu. This has possibilities.
southpaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tane,
welcome to the wonderful world of Fluxbox.

Quote:

...When I first started using Flux, I found three links that I kept referring to for Fluxbox info:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/fluxbox-config.xml

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Fluxbox-wiki

...all of the solutions to the problems your currently facing lay beyond those links, plus there are many more tips and tricks available within those links to refine your window manager to your hearts content. Also, for even more specific info, make sure you check out the manpages in your system, they are there for this very reason (ex. man fluxbox, man aterm, etc..etc..) 8).
ZhenJuan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I was wondering if there is a way to edit the MiddleClick menu - I'm trying to set it up like in enlightenment.
If yes, which file do I edit?

Thnx
Zhen
StarDragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, anyway to make the toolbar menu transparent? i think this might have something to do with it:
Code:
session.forcePseudoTransparency:        true
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarDragon wrote:
hey guys, anyway to make the toolbar menu transparent? i think this might have something to do with it:
Code:
session.forcePseudoTransparency:        true

I think it has more to do with those values:
Code:
session.screen0.menuAlpha:      144
session.screen0.menu.alpha:     204

HTH
swimmer
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: