Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Xorg - transparancy & shades (Composite Vs XGL)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Xorg - transparancy & shades (Composite Vs XGL) Reply with quote

I'm just about to play around to get a fancier desktop (using gnome). I read the Xorg & Transparancy article on gentoo-wiki, and also had a glance at XGL. The shadows and transparancy I got (i tried it already) from the composite extension, do I need to load this extention (and userland utilities) to have it in an XGL enabled desktop or is transparancy and shades included in XGL?
As of April 2006 - Athlon64 X2 4200+ 1GB RAM - amd64-2006.0 profiled system with portage 2.1_preX, ck-sources-2.6.16, glibc-2.4-r1 (overlay w/-Bdirect&-hashvals), binutils-2.16.91.0.6 (overlay), gcc-4.1, Xorg 7

Last edited by Joffer on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
CoffeeBuzz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Q about transparancy & shades (Composite Vs XG Reply with quote

Joffer wrote:
I'm just about to play around to get a fancier desktop (using gnome). I read the Xorg & Transparancy article on gentoo-wiki, and also had a glance at XGL. The shadows and transparancy I got (i tried it already) from the composite extension, do I need to load this extention (and userland utilities) to have it in an XGL enabled desktop or is transparancy and shades included in XGL?

Compiz is the window manager that replaces gnome's metacity. It has its own built in composite manager that provides those effects. You should disable Xorg's composite manager when using compiz. You do not need any userland utilities (xcompmgr, transset etc).

Compiz requires Xgl. Xgl is an extention to your xorg-server that sends paint instructions from the window manager to your 3d graphics card using a 3D API (openGL).

Hope that clears things up a little.
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure did. Thanks. :D
As of April 2006 - Athlon64 X2 4200+ 1GB RAM - amd64-2006.0 profiled system with portage 2.1_preX, ck-sources-2.6.16, glibc-2.4-r1 (overlay w/-Bdirect&-hashvals), binutils-2.16.91.0.6 (overlay), gcc-4.1, Xorg 7
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: