Man.... Do I Feel Dumb!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LGer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Man.... Do I Feel Dumb! Reply with quote

This install just don't click with me. I've finally found a linux distro that runs - and runs GREAT btw - and I can't follow the install instructions. Obviously I am very new to linux so I can't kick myself too hard but this seems like a very difficult install. I tried the install cd but get to a command prompt as root and sit there. I haven't a clue what to do besides watch the cursor blink. I can get into the shell with the live cd and try to install from that but some of the questions it asks I've never heard before.... What the (place below us) is a "Stage 3 tarball"? I've built a new machine.... AMD 64X2, PCI Express, SLI (but only using one Video card), and have it set up as Raid 0 and wanted to get linux running on it to watch it fly..... Yours is the only distro that I've gotten to run on it and I'd love to install it permanently (I'm trying to get rid of MS Windows). Please.... is there an easy way to install this? If I could just get exactly what is on the Live CD installed I could build from there.... Thanks All - I HOPE! Looking forward to learning this distro and becoming a part of this community.

The Dumb Guy.....
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the new installer? Otherwise you need to follow the handbook.
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're new to linux, you're gonna have a very tough time with gentoo, try fedora or suse first... see what you think, after a 30 minute install, think whether you want to struggle for a few days reading lots and racking your head to get to the same point in the gentoo installation. It's ok for people who are already proficient cli hackers but it's gonna be an immensely steep learning curve otherwise.

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is not the easiest distro to install and to manage. You will need to take some time and a lot of reading to get comfortable with it. Also installing apps takes quite a long time, since Gentoo compiles almost every app itself to install it.

Don't get me wrong! Gentoo is well worth all this trouble, but I just wanted to make sure that you know what you get yourself into. :wink:

If you do not want to invest that much time, I'd suggest to try Suse or something similiar.
LGer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys... I think that you are right. Hopefully I can find another distro that runs on this machine. I've already abandoned Raid 0 to go more conventional.... Maybe something else will work. Thank you very much..... I'll be baaaaack!
KuraiKumo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah when I first tried Gentoo I think was 2004.1 I installed it over 20 times. Gave up and then used other distros didn't enjoy them ad came back when 2005.1 was here and been a Gentoo user ever since. Just when you read the install guide read every word of it and not just skim past it cause basically you can ask any Gentoo user that was new to linux or ask any and they will tell you that it will be a best distro for a newb to Linux cause it will teach you alot of just just doing the install. I installed it so many times I don't even need to read the manual to install cause I know it off the back of my head :P. Just take your time and just go at it slow and not rush it and you will have a good install and the best distro you can use yeah it maybe take a while to install but hey its worth it I promise.
1GB of Ram Dual Channel 512MB/2
Gentoo 2006.0 x86
Kernel: No-Sources
ferrarif5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am always puzzled when people suggest other distros before you use Gentoo... Gentoo was my first proper attempt with using Linux after using Mandrake and not getting very far due to lack of experience... the Gentoo no-gui install taught me so much about using Linux and what are the basic packages that make up your system than using a pre-configured distro.

If I was you LGer I would give it another go, maybe seek help in the installing gentoo section if you run into any troubles?
User:335876 | Screenshot
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha, I think it would have been kinder to just tell him to rtfm... If you don't know what a stage 3 is you're never gonna get anywhere in gentoo... the handbook is very good, read it dude. If you can't read a lot, you can't linux a lot....

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe but considering stage1 and stage2 are legacy it seems... and not really officially supported anymore... and this new gui installer replacing the command line one. BTW I wish they had added the live CD to the list of ISO's instead of using it to replace the universal CD.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: