epson photo 2200 [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: epson photo 2200 [solved] Reply with quote

Hello.

I have an epson photo 2200. I had it working just fine on my Athlon XP box. Now I have a new athlon64 box that I am just about finished with, but I cannot get this thing to work. (using cups).

I have tried everything I can think of, and I followed the docs, but this thing will not print!

So, I tried stripping down the driver to just a generic post script, that did not help. I even turned the queue to a raw queue, just to see if I could get *anything* out of my printer. Nothing. I did a cat /etc/passwd >/dev/usb/lp0 -- and that didn't produce anything either.

The weird thing is, I know that the system sees the printer. I can see it in /var/log/messages every time I plug and unplug it.

When I was using the gimp-print driver, I would log into port 631, and tell it to print a test page. Every page was instantly aborted. My printer didn't budge. When I dropped the printer down to ps and to raw, it said that the print jobs were successful! The printer never budged, yet it said it was successful. I have tried about 40 different print pages. I have merged and unmerged cups several times... no dice. I have used my old configuration from my other machine, I have configured it by hand, and I have configured it using KDE printmgr (a good utility actually...). But I know that this cannot be a driver issue, as it won't do anything even as a raw device.

I set cupsd to debug level, but I don't see any errors in the log files, or in /var/log/messages.

I have all the drivers compiled in my kernel as indicated in the docs.

The printer shows as idle:
Code:
      Description: EPSON Stylus Photo 2200
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%202200

So, now my hypothesis is that it must be the 64bit thing? I cannot think of anything that could account for this... I have set up many printers in cups, and never had this much trouble...

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

Thank you.

G

Last edited by grooveman on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
donaldino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi grooveman,

I had problems configureing my Epson Stylus Photo 810.
For configuration I used the browser interface on port 631.
At first, printing test pages did not work.

I had to re-emerge esp-postscript (I don't know the exact name of the package) and
restart cupsd.

Afterwards, everything worked fine.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I will give that a shot. (ghostscript-esp).

I will post back..

G
brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remmeber about having similar problems with my Opteron box and Epson gimp-print drivers.

After enabling gimp-print and emergeing it, I had to reemerge cups for it to make use of gimp-print...
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I forst installed my 1280. It appears that the order that these are built matters and the default order is not correct.
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just trying to get printing set up now. I have an HP LaserJet 4MP and after trying and failing to get the gimp-print drivers working, I set it up as a Postscript printer. That is now working fine as both a local and a remote printer, so I'm happy. But out of curiosity, what do I have to do to get gimp-print printers to show up? I have cups and ppds in my USE flags, and I tried re-emerging cups after emerging gimp-print. Still no printers show up in the list (other than the cups defaults.) brankob, what do you mean by "After enabling gimp-print"? I just emerged it. Do I have to do anything after emerging it to generate the ppd files? Thanks.
brankob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC cups used to have USE flag for gimp print- but this is obviously not the case any more.

With enable "gimp-print" I meant enable its USE flag for cups, but this obviously doesn't apply any more.

try using "equery files cups | less" and "equery files gimp-print | less " to locate wherr each package stores its printer drivers.

Maybe gimp-print drivers should be moved in another dir ?
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. re-emerging esp-postscript seemed to do it for me!

Thank you!

G
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: