Please recommend a filesystem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodOrange
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Please recommend a filesystem Reply with quote

I have a 160GB drive formatted as a single reiserfs. I use it for general storage, not part of the OS, though permissions support is desirable. Reiserfs was fine, but I copy and delete alot of large AVI files from a DV camera and was concerned about fragmentation affecting access speed.
AIUI you can not defragment reiser or ext3. So looks like the best option is ext2. I'd appreciate any advice or other recommendation.
Main requirements are:
Ability to defragment (I'm assuming fragmentation significantly affects the performance of all filesystems).
Fast read/write particularly for very large files.
Supports usual Linux permissions and the like.

Any advice very much appreciated.
Thanks
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Please recommend a filesystem Reply with quote

BodOrange wrote:
Ability to defragment (I'm assuming fragmentation significantly affects the performance of all filesystems).

On a Desktop where you have any number of applications reading and writing to the disk at the same time, wether the file system is a bit fragmented or not will hardly make a difference, since the read / write requests will be at random locations anyway. The requests are cached and re-ordered to make it as performant as possible.

About which filesystem to choose, everyone will probably tell you something different, I suggest you create a small partition and test and benchmark every filesystem yourself with the file operations you intend to use on that partition (read/write very large files or whatever).
playahater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Please recommend a filesystem Reply with quote

BodOrange wrote:
I have a 160GB drive formatted as a single reiserfs. I use it for general storage, not part of the OS, though permissions support is desirable. Reiserfs was fine, but I copy and delete alot of large AVI files from a DV camera and was concerned about fragmentation affecting access speed.
AIUI you can not defragment reiser or ext3. So looks like the best option is ext2. I'd appreciate any advice or other recommendation.
Main requirements are:
Fast read/write particularly for very large files.
Supports usual Linux permissions and the like.

Any advice very much appreciated.
Thanks

well .. as far as I know .. the best solution for large files is hfs .. and after some time u can "defragment" it by moving all files from that hdd/partition and putting them back .. and i think u can defragment ext3
if i were you i`d use hfs .. or tuned ext3
fragmentation is problem of all file systems .. but the advantige of linux fs is that u can get rid of fragmentation by removing all data from hdd and putting it back ... but as far as i know you will "have to" do that after using hfs for a year or two .. so .. relax . .:)

Cheers
BodOrange
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some filesystems are better than others at minimising fragmentation. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at hfs. I was hoping to avoid resorting to reformatting in order to defragment though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: