View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: KDE Paths lost [Solved] Reply with quote

My KDM suddenly is lost. Actually, my whole KDE stuff in $PATH is lost. At boot, it wants to start KDM, but I get 'which: no kdm in (paths).

If I do as user 'kdm', it cannot find it, if I do 'su' or 'su -' and them 'kdm', it can't find it. But when I do 'sudo kdm' as a user, it actually does start. '/etc/init.d/xdm (re)start' is never able to find kdm.

I recently installed Gnome, but I have done that before and never had problems. The same is true for fluxbox, just installed but never had problems before.

I also installed KDE 3.5.2, but that's already a few days ago. Since then I didn't reboot, just /etc/init/xdm restart (so in my 'old environment') so that might just be it.

I already tried (because I couldn't think of anything else) to 'emerge kdebase-meta kdm' so it would perhaps set the paths right. I removed Gnome and fluxbox but nothing works.

Before I have used Gnome and I could just run 'kate' or 'amarok' in it and it worked, now also that doesn't work, but I really want it.

Does anyone have any idea how this suddenly gives problems and/or how to reset my paths right so it can find KDE stuff?

EDIT: Changed topic title to match the problem more appropriately.

Last edited by thomasvk on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
lesourbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you run etc-update ? (just a guess)
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it noticed me that 1 config file needed updating, so I ran etc-update. It automerged one file totally unrelated to KDE (I don't remember it's name). I do not think that has anything to do with it.
Tlaloc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 'which: no kdm in...' KDM lost Reply with quote

Try this:
Code:

emerge kde-base/kde-env

Bye, Val.
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tlaloc, I will try that.
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did that, followed by env-update && source /etc/profile and then a reboot, but it still couldn't find kdm. I don't understand how this suddenly can go wrong. I'm almost sure it has something to do with KDE 3.5.2.
Tlaloc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked a little closer at the /etc/env.d/ directory, and there are two files with kde in the name.
The first is 99kde-env, the only file that is emerged with "emerge kde-base/kde-env" (equery files kde-base/kde-env tells me that). It has the content:
Code:
KDEDIRS=/usr
CONFIG_PROTECT=/usr/share/config
#KDE_IS_PRELINKED=1

So my previous advice for sure didn't help. :oops:

The second is 45kdepaths-3.5, and has the content
Code:
PATH=/usr/kde/3.5/bin
ROOTPATH=/usr/kde/3.5/sbin:/usr/kde/3.5/bin
LDPATH=/usr/kde/3.5/lib
CONFIG_PROTECT="/usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown"

And now the surprise:
Code:
tux val # equery belongs 45kdepaths-3.5
[ Searching for file(s) 45kdepaths-3.5 in *... ]
kde-base/arts-3.5.2 (/etc/env.d/45kdepaths-3.5)

Why the hell does it belong to the arts package?

Hopefully this info is useful.
Bye, Valentin (who is gonna play ET now).
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the information. I installed arts for some testing with something, and removed it again. I guess that's what must have removed that file. My GUESS would be that it 'belongs' to multiple packages that adjust it, and that it got accidently removed when I removed arts. I had never had problems before with it (so the file must have existed) and never had arts installed before. I will look into this more deeply tomorrow.

Thanks for giving the right direction!
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

After I emerged arts again, the file was back. But:
Code:
# equery belongs /etc/env.d/45kdepaths-3.5
[ Searching for file(s) /etc/env.d/45kdepaths-3.5 in *... ]
kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.2 (/etc/env.d/45kdepaths-3.5)
kde-base/arts-3.5.2 (/etc/env.d/45kdepaths-3.5)

I removed arts again and the file was gone. Then I re-emerged kdelibs and it was there again! I think I'll file a bug report about this this afternoon when I come back from work, because this behaviour is really strange. If either of the two is still in the system, the file shouldn't be removed. Also I wonder what the differences in the files provided by kdelibs and arts are.

EDIT:
I emerged kdelibs and arts seperately and together, but in all cases the 45kdepaths-3.5 is the same. Is there any way in which packages it's also present other than installing them all? I wonder what the use of the file being in more packages is. I don't suppose anyone would install arts without KDE (I wouldn't suppose anyone install arts at all, but that's a whole different discussion). I just looked at the arts ebuild and it also doesn't seem to depend on kdelibs, but I don't know at all if it should. I'm think I'll file a bug report about the file being deleted.

EDIT2:
Filed a bug report but got (correctly) marked as a dupe of Move kde env.d settings from (arts+kdelibs) to kde-env[-slotted]. Seems to be quiet for a while now over there, so I guess just remember how it works now is best.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: