Live cd installing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liamdawe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Live cd installing Reply with quote

Hiya the main reason i didn't install before was because i tried installing by typing out lines and stuff but i couldn't get the hang of it.

With the live cd do i have to type much?
asiB4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't have much experience with gentoo or linux in general, probably a good idea to start honing your cli skills. I prefer to use cli...simply for the fact I wanted to learn more about linux, how it works, the commands, command options and such. I played with the livecd briefly, and lost interest in the gui and stuck with the cli. I got as far as partitioning my hdd's and setting some USE flags...and decided to use my old cd, so I can't give a 100% unbiased opinion...try it and see what you think. If you are having problems with the gui installation or with the cli don't be afraid to ask for help. Head over to the Gentoo Documentation page, print the installation manual for your architecture and read it before you begin the install. The only way you are going to learn, IMO; is to jump right in and go for it. No warranty expressed or implied; mileage may vary. :D
Registered Linux User #332738

liamdawe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would print the manual out but i don't have a printer. If i did i would go through the typing installation this is why i need gui as i am not very familiar with command line and don't have a printer :(
rev138
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an addendum to what was previously mentioned: CLI = Command Line Interface. That's the screen where you "type stuff".

If you're going to use linux, it's almost unavoidable that you'll have to use the CLI at some point. It's best that you get used to it. I'd recommend you get something like Knoppix to start with (google for it), and get some more practice before you try installing gentoo.
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you choose the CLI installig way (which almost all Gentoo users do), you still can boot with the LiveCD, open the guide in Firefox and open a console for your installing :)
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, off of a command line, you could press ctrl+F2-F6 to get up to 6 different terminals. So, press ctrl+F2, open up links, go to the manual, ctrl+F1 back and forth...
When you CHROOT, it only CHROOTs 1 terminal, so the rest of them are outside of your system, just in case you forget a step.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: