Gentoo installed, now what... GRP???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bromian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Gentoo installed, now what... GRP??? Reply with quote

I have installed Gentoo 2005.1 (from cd's ordered from the internet) according to the Handbook (just installed not really working). I am just a semi-avid comupter user and all I want is a working system. So far as keeping up to date with the latest releases, I really dont care. As long as it works, it is fine with me. I have been using an old version of SuSE 7.3 (since around 2001) But, now it is time for new.

Now, I am a little bit lost. After the installation, for the GRP style installation, the Handbook basically says, " Ok you're done, now just 'emerge whatever' off of the package cd and you are on your own." I would really rather build the packages myself but, I don't have a high speed internet connection, just dial-up.

1. There are a number of programs in /usr/portage/distfiles that I would like to "emerge" and compile for my system, is it OK to go ahead and "emerge" them before I install the Package CD binaries?

2. Once I install the GRP packages, is there a manual as what to do then?

3. Is there a way to see the package description? 'emerge --pretend' just gives dependencies. And 'emerge --search whatever' will return descriptions, but way too many, ant it takes a while as well.

I'm sure this has already been answered before, if so please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I do not know much about the grp install, since I never did one. All I know, is that your choices are quite limited with such an "old" install media.

I don't think that the package cd comes with the sources, but just with binaries. So you'd need to download the sources first. The GRP install is what it is: a binary install to get you up and running.

I would suggest, that you install all the packages you want from the cd and after you are done you could take a look if there are any sources that match your outdated portage tree. If they reside in "/usr/portage/distfiles" you can emerge them. But be very careful about any changes is your "/etc/make.conf" so you don't brake compatibility .

Thing is, that a lot of packages that your portage tree is aware of, are most likely not on any mirrors available.
So after you installed all the apps you want from the package cd you could do a....
Code:
emerge --sync
...to update your portage tree. Now you could either update your system by using ...
Code:
emerge -upv world
... or install new apps by...
Code:
emerge -pv <package.name>
...to see what packages are needed. Download the sources somewhere else and put them on cd to move them to your distfiles dir. That way you would be able to emerge them.

On the other hand wouldn't it be easier to get a distro with a dvd full of apps, ready to install?

But hey! I don't wanna spoil the fun for ya! :wink:
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that pretty much sums everything up :D
as an addition, I would suggest using
Code:

# emerge -pvf <package>

this will "pretend fetching" -- it should tell you all the files it would download (the complete URIs), so you can take that list to download somewhere else and the put everything in your distfiles directory...

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: