Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XGL (Part 4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 38, 39, 40  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kornshell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joffer wrote:
Xgl seems to work finally.. but of course not without any problems.. Not sure what you call it, but when I do ALT+TAB to change applications I get the nice preview of the app and it looks good, but when I'm chosen the app I want to use (have in foreground) the "ALT+TAB Window" keeps staying visible on top. It's like an overlay window, it's just in the way graphically (transparent) and I can click on buttons etc underneath it.. but I do want it gone when I've chosen my app. Is this a known bug? How can I get it to go away when I let go of ALT+TAB?

Go to the gconf utility and browse to apps>compiz>plugins>fade>screen0>options. Edit the window_types key and remove "splash".
unz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx a lot, i got this problem too
sanmartin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna ask this again since no one replied last time:

Does anyone know the status of Metacity's compositing functionality? The Gnome Live site says the functionality is coming along nicely but they're aiming for AIGLX I believe and I don't know what APIs (if any) might make it incompatible with XGL. Has anyone experimented with this (successfully or otherwise)? Are there plans to make it compatible with XGL eventually that anyone knows of?

I'm mainly wondering whether Compiz is intended to be the only window manager for XGL eventually or if there will be others, because it seems a little like reinventing the wheel. Why *not* just try to get Metacity working with it if you're using Gnome anyway, or Kwin if you're using KDE?

What are the compatability issues with compositing between AIGLX and XGL implementations? I'm particularly concerned with this issue because I like so many others am using TwinView for xinerama support and compiz hasn't got support for this yet even though there's apparently a patch for Xgl now. I'd love to be able to run Xgl with composited Metacity and get all the cool effects. Xinerama support is the main thing keeping me from using Xgl right now.
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kornshell wrote:
Joffer wrote:
Xgl seems to work finally.. but of course not without any problems.. Not sure what you call it, but when I do ALT+TAB to change applications I get the nice preview of the app and it looks good, but when I'm chosen the app I want to use (have in foreground) the "ALT+TAB Window" keeps staying visible on top. It's like an overlay window, it's just in the way graphically (transparent) and I can click on buttons etc underneath it.. but I do want it gone when I've chosen my app. Is this a known bug? How can I get it to go away when I let go of ALT+TAB?

Go to the gconf utility and browse to apps>compiz>plugins>fade>screen0>options. Edit the window_types key and remove "splash".

That did it.

Now I only have to get Gnome start normally with Xgl.. I'm getting some error messages when I start Xgl about "The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_WindowListApplet"." and stuff like that. Will look at the troubleshooting page in the wiki
As of April 2006 - Athlon64 X2 4200+ 1GB RAM - amd64-2006.0 profiled system with portage 2.1_preX, ck-sources-2.6.16, glibc-2.4-r1 (overlay w/-Bdirect&-hashvals), binutils-2.16.91.0.6 (overlay), gcc-4.1, Xorg 7
kornshell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joffer wrote:
Now I only have to get Gnome start normally with Xgl.. I'm getting some error messages when I start Xgl about "The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_WindowListApplet"." and stuff like that. Will look at the troubleshooting page in the wiki

I had a similar problem an I think I solved it modifying the script I used to launch gnome on xgl. This one worked fine:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
echo ">Starting XGL at Display: 1"
echo "========= XGL ============"
Xgl :1 -ac -accel xv -accel glx:pbuffer &
sleep 3
echo "======= COMPIZ ==========="
DISPLAY=:1 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ compiz --replace gconf &
 sleep 3
echo "====== DECORATIONS ======="
DISPLAY=:1 gnome-window-decorator &
# sleep 3
echo "======= GNOME ============"
#DISPLAY=:1 /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
DISPLAY=:1 gnome-session &
DISPLAY=:1 nautilus -n --sync &
#DISPLAY=:1 gnome-panel &
# DISPLAY=:1 setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout de -variant basic &
#echo "======= LOGOUT ============"
#killall Xgl
# Adding the line above,if you can't logout Gnome correctly.

Basically I removed the gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-panel lines, and launched gnome-session instead.
Joffer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kornshell wrote:
Joffer wrote:

I had a similar problem an I think I solved it modifying the script I used to launch gnome on xgl. This one worked fine:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
echo ">Starting XGL at Display: 1"
echo "========= XGL ============"
Xgl :1 -ac -accel xv -accel glx:pbuffer &
sleep 3
echo "======= COMPIZ ==========="
DISPLAY=:1 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ compiz --replace gconf &
 sleep 3
echo "====== DECORATIONS ======="
DISPLAY=:1 gnome-window-decorator &
# sleep 3
echo "======= GNOME ============"
#DISPLAY=:1 /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
DISPLAY=:1 gnome-session &
DISPLAY=:1 nautilus -n --sync &
#DISPLAY=:1 gnome-panel &
# DISPLAY=:1 setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout de -variant basic &
#echo "======= LOGOUT ============"
#killall Xgl
# Adding the line above,if you can't logout Gnome correctly.

Basically I removed the gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-panel lines, and launched gnome-session instead.

I saw your post on the forum about this and have done more or less the same. I get an error when I start Xgl/Gnome now: "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon." And the "gnome-session" window/image stays on top until I click on it and then it goes away.
As of April 2006 - Athlon64 X2 4200+ 1GB RAM - amd64-2006.0 profiled system with portage 2.1_preX, ck-sources-2.6.16, glibc-2.4-r1 (overlay w/-Bdirect&-hashvals), binutils-2.16.91.0.6 (overlay), gcc-4.1, Xorg 7
Master_d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I fixed the problem I was having where icons and everything were all distorted upon firing up Xgl. In case anyone else has this issue I fixed it by changing the default color depth in xorg.conf from '16' to '24'. Now I can login just fine and everything looks ok but I still don't have direct rendering. The only I can get direct rendering is if I use the old 'startx' script but when I use xgl glxinfo reports direct rendering is not enabled. Any ideas?
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xgl doesn't support yet direct rendering. So what you're getting is right. Check also this post:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2006-April/000133.html
KubaPET
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I've got a problem with starting Xgl...
when I write:
Code:
Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv

it only stays and do nothing

I've tryed run startxgl script and it gives me:
Code:

kubapet@Hellbase ~ $ /usr/bin/startxgl 1
>Starting XGL at Display: 1
========= XGL ============
======= COMPIZ ===========
====== DECORATIONS =======
======= GNOME ============
kubapet@Hellbase ~ $ compiz: Couldn't open display :1

(gnome-window-decorator:1738): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

(gnome-panel:1741): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

(nautilus:1740): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

(gnome-settings-daemon:1739): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

can you help me?
BlackBelt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you try to exec startxgl first of:

Code:
?

sorry for bad english

Charles Bukowski
KubaPET
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, at first I tryed "Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv"
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm getting a checksum verification error and I've tried removing the ebuild and redoing an svn up 2x

Quote:

gentoo xgl-coffee # emerge -uDa world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies... done!
[ebuild U ] x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_p20060418 [0.0.1_p20060412] USE="mmx%"

Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No] Yes
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_p20060418 to /
>>> checking ebuild checksums
!!! Digest verification failed:
!!! /usr/local/xgl-coffee/x11-base/xgl/xgl-0.0.1_p20060418.ebuild
!!! Reason: Failed on SHA256 verification
!!! Got: 47bde4f1fcfe72ff62fe5fe95c3193f379549fa48e4f5a3d05f6d1ec3b5dc385
!!! Expected: 9fd77e604a603ca98e1c99c73d3b79c9e642ce93d1ec512af7003227675c85d8
gentoo xgl-coffee #

:?
tj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like you've been hit by this bug

Code:
emerge =dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r4

should do it
star.dancer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Bizarre gdm/xgl behaviour [fixed] Reply with quote

Hey everyone, here's a bizarre problem for you...

EDIT: Ok, bizarre, non-sensical lockups with gdm? Are you using the "Insectz" theme? Don't! Geez, I spent hours chasing shadows and the problems was the gdm them. Anyway, problem solved.
Hibbelharry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Xgl became really slow after update although it still works Reply with quote

Hey guys,

once xgl worked flawlessly for me....

now i decided to update it after some weeks of usage to fool a little around with the new effects and improvements, and everything still works...but damn slow. my normal xorg-x11 works well, using latest nvidia drivers and everything ~x86, gl apps are also fine in plain old xorg-x11. xgl itself is compiled from coffeebuzz stable xgl-trunk overlay. I also tried to switch to the testing overlay, but that didn't help. After that I tried to track my issue down and I can clearly see everything works fast as long as nothing renders to the root window (i.e. nautilus or xfdesktop for example). when i kill those processes everything gets superfluid. If a process renders to the root window, well it sucks down my machine. Is there any way to configure compiz to stop it rendering the root window or influencing the behaviour ?

this happens on my dell latitude c840 with it's uxga tft and geforce 4 go 440, which i know isn't the fastest thing on the market, but well it worked really fine at first.

Anybody seen the same ? Anybody with some hints ?

Greets
Hibbelharry
KubaPET
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Xgl Reply with quote

Pleez help me... what I did wrong if the
Xgl
command do nothing...

Code:

kubapet@Hellbase ~ $ Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv
_

it stands until I press Ctrl+c
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KubaPET
well, "no news is good news" ;)
where from are you executing this command? try switching to another $DISPLAY with eg. Ctrl+Alt+F7
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I get this stupid error:
dlopen: /usr/local/lib/modules/xgl/libglx.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

stupid 1: why does it look into /usr/local?
stupid 2: even after a symlink to /usr/lib64/xorg/modules I get the same error
stupid 3: even after copying the whole directory, I get the same error.

I am pretty annoyed at the moment - installing a bazillion pounds of gnome crap to get hit by this.. any hints?

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
KubaPET
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmare wrote:

where from are you executing this command? try switching to another $DISPLAY with eg. Ctrl+Alt+F7

I´m executing it from gnome-terminal or from console on tty1
it´s all the same..

I tryed to run it on display 0,1 ...
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to make windows start centered instead of top left like the majority of windows does for me? Looked for settings but can't find any.
Henning Rogge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Trouble with XGL and Windows-Key [solved] Reply with quote

I installed XGL on my KDE desktop yesterday and it worked nearly perfectly... one of the most annoying problems was that both Windows-Keys stopped working and could not be used for XGL control or other shortcuts.

The sollution for the problem is to skip the "-kb" parameter in the XGL server:
/usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:
ServerCmd=/usr/bin/Xgl -br -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv

This way the Keyboard Extension of X is still running.

I have still problems with Xine (the control panel is just random pixels), does someone know what I have to change to get Xine running ?
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with XGL and Windows-Key [solved] Reply with quote

Henning Rogge wrote:
I have still problems with Xine (the control panel is just random pixels), does someone know what I have to change to get Xine running ?

If you mouse over the control buttons, and click on where the menu choices should be, they'll become visible again. I think this is part of the problem with almost all video apps which write to the root window -- and David Reveman is aware of this so there will be a fix at some point.

Also, if you run xine in a window (as opposed to fullscreen) and rotate the cube you'll find it on all desktops, not just the one you started it on. I've come across wierdness with MPlayer, VLC and Totem, but that particular "feature" seems to only happen with Xine.
mutlu_inek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with XGL and Windows-Key [solved] Reply with quote

Henning Rogge wrote:

I agree with sternklang. There is not much you can do. But playing with the glx extensions in kdmrc (or however you start xgl) may improve video playback and the drawing of video applications. I had a discussion about that here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-455153-highlight-.html
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with XGL and Windows-Key [solved] Reply with quote

mutlu_inek wrote:
But playing with the glx extensions in kdmrc (or however you start xgl) may improve video playback and the drawing of video applications. I had a discussion about that here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-455153-highlight-.html

Thanks very much for that information on the xv parameter, mutlu_inek! Adding "xv:pbuffer" to my startup line seriously increased video performance for fullscreen. :D
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I solved the problem, was an old Xgl in /usr/local/bin

now I only have to find out, why xgl/compiz is sooo slow ;)

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 12 of 40

Jump to: